Fulbright ETA or Princeton in Asia during gap year before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDrDre

Reaction score
Hi! TIA for your response. I'm considering applying for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant or PIA (I would be teaching too) before dental school. I'm interested because teaching is very fulfilling for me and I like learning languages. I've taught and tutored a lot in college so it would not be too out of character. I know that going to interviews will be more complicated than it would be if I stayed in the U.S. Aside from that, would participation in either of these programs be viewed as an advantage and/or a disadvantage when applying to dental school? Is it common for pre-dental students to do this? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I considered doing a program like this (English teaching program in France) but I decided against it because it would be such a logistical and financial headache to try and plan interviews. These programs usually don’t pay well because of Visa restrictions (limited working hours). Also, with COVID-19, are programs like this still running?

You would probably have to take 2 gap years if you do a program like this, so you would begin applying during your second gap year when you finish your program and you’re back in the US. At the end of the day you should do what truly inspires and interests you. It’s your life and you only get one run through, so if this is an opportunity you want to pursue then after college is a great time to do it. Just my 2 cents!