Fulfilling Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greniedgal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a general question about prereqs. I had taken general bio and chem my freshman year as an undergrad and didn't do so well in them. Then changed my major and graduated with pretty good grades. I then went back and took some higher level bios and chems, ie Anatomy, Physiology, Cell and Molecular Bio, Biochemistry etc at a local community college. Will these courses count for the "2 semesters general bio and 2 semesters chem?" Or do I have to go back and retake "what is a cell"? I would think they would count higher level bios and chems as fulfilling the 'general' requirements.
Also I heard through the grapevine that many medschools are not fond of applicants taking science courses at community colleges. Is this true? I mean I took them there for the location and price not hoping they'd be easier. Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that since you had to take the general bio prereq to get into the higher level coursework, then that would suffice. the good thing about the aacomas application is that if you retake a class, only the grade from the second time counts. This was really good for me considering that as a freshman, I got a D- in chem, but as a more focused senior, received an A. THe D- gets eliminated. I think you're probably going to have to include the first set of grades you got just for prereq purposes.