Fulfilling prerequisites through cc, extension, or state school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeTryst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my GREs and got a 1510 which I feel extremely ecstatic about, however, I have a serious question when it comes to fulfilling my prerequisite requirements for graduate (DPT) programs. I haven't exactly narrowed down my choices, but the program at UCSF really caught my eye and I was wondering...

Although, UCSF does accept community college credit for many of its prerequisite classes, it seems to prefer that they be taken at a four year institution. Is this true? Has anyone taken more CC classes and not have had that matter? Which would you recommend? To take the prerequisite classes through community college because of the lower cost? or to take them through UC berkeley's extension center (expensive) or to try to take them through SF State, (also expensive). Is the price tag on the more expensive classes worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I did not apply to UCSF and can't speak to their view of the situation, all my DPT lower division pre-reqs were done at a community college and none of the programs I applied to demonstrated any concerns about it. For me, community college was strictly a dollars and cents situation and as long as the credits transferred to the university where I got my B.S., I wasn't concerned either.