Fulfillment in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonenew22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted recently and have just been thinking about this for a bit. A lot of people talk about how being a doctor is all they've wanted and how they can't imagine doing anything else.

Is it weird that I just as easily could have seen myself doing a few other things? I don't really see medicine as something i needed to do. From my experiences i feel like I'll like it and do well in it but i just don't get that same feeling i see with other people where it's this larger than life thing for them. I have other things in life that provide me with that feeling. Anyone else feel that way? Have just been having some small doubts after seeing my attitude compared to others.

Also i don't mean i won't get any fulfillment from helping heal people in case that's what it sounds like, I just try to be very honest with my self and I'm just putting my thoughts out there.

Anyone else feel similarly or have any thoughts they want to share?

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't weird. The 'calling' aspect isn't a massive thing because people successful enough to get into medical school can get into a lot of other fields. However, the debt burden is real so make sure you won't have a change of heart. Its super cool once you get into the swing of things, hard sure, but interesting as hell. Congrats on the acceptance though

Reactions: 5 users
It isn't weird. The 'calling' aspect isn't a massive thing because people successful enough to get into medical school can get into a lot of other fields. However, the debt burden is real so make sure you won't have a change of heart. Its super cool once you get into the swing of things, hard sure, but interesting as hell. Congrats on the acceptance though
Thanks!

That's reassuring to hear

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted recently and have just been thinking about this for a bit. A lot of people talk about how being a doctor is all they've wanted and how they can't imagine doing anything else.

Is it weird that I just as easily could have seen myself doing a few other things? I don't really see medicine as something i needed to do. From my experiences i feel like I'll like it and do well in it but i just don't get that same feeling i see with other people where it's this larger than life thing for them. I have other things in life that provide me with that feeling. Anyone else feel that way? Have just been having some small doubts after seeing my attitude compared to others.

Also i don't mean i won't get any fulfillment from helping heal people in case that's what it sounds like, I just try to be very honest with my self and I'm just putting my thoughts out there.

Anyone else feel similarly or have any thoughts they want to share?
As the previous poster said successful medical school applicants could be successful at many things in life. Medicine is the only career I see myself getting true fulfillment from. That being said, I want to do many things with my life outside of medicine (business, politics, etc.). It doesn’t have to be the only thing you do:p but make sure you want it before you begin because it’s a long and costly journey.

Reactions: 1 users
This kind of ice-cold objectivity, even when it comes to your chosen profession which other people glamorize if not deify, is exactly what the medical field needs. I firmly believe that even if you don't praise the heavens and thank your lucky stars everyday that you get to be a doctor you can still be a great and fulfilled physician as long as you believe in your work and in your desire to better the lives of your patients.

For me personally it only became my dream to become a doctor a few years ago and it's something I'd never given much thought prior to that. And though I'm VERY excited to start medical school next year, fact of the matter is that I've always relied on my relationships with friends and family for that true "life fulfillment".

Reactions: 3 users
This kind of ice-cold objectivity, even when it comes to your chosen profession which other people glamorize if not deify, is exactly what the medical field needs. I firmly believe that even if you don't praise the heavens and thank your lucky stars everyday that you get to be a doctor you can still be a great and fulfilled physician as long as you believe in your work and in your desire to better the lives of your patients.

For me personally it only became my dream to become a doctor a few years ago and it's something I'd never given much thought prior to that. And though I'm VERY excited to start medical school next year, fact of the matter is that I've always relied on my relationships with friends and family for that true "life fulfillment".

I think you put it perfectly haha, I'm glad to see others feel similarly.

Being a physician was never really my "dream" but I've also never had a dream job/career. Like you said my "dreams" are more about family and friends. I've tried out a few things and I found i would be pretty happy with a lot of them as long as I was working hard and to my full potential. I think I liked medicine a little more because of the fact that you need to work hard and learn so much on top of helping people. The only times I usually feel unsatisfied with myself are when I get lazy and waste too much time. (I love having fun dont get me wroun, referring more on the end of just lazing around and doing nothing too much).

Reactions: 1 user
As the previous poster said successful medical school applicants could be successful at many things in life. Medicine is the only career I see myself getting true fulfillment from. That being said, I want to do many things with my life outside of medicine (business, politics, etc.). It doesn’t have to be the only thing you do:p but make sure you want it before you begin because it’s a long and costly journey.

That's true. I don't think I'll ever be 100% sure I want it until I get into those clinical years as a med student but from my current experiences Im like 95% sure haha. I like working hard even of it's something i dont necessarily enjoy the most so in that offchance that this is the 5% i think ill still be fine. Theres only been a few places ive worked that i truly disliked (when the work is mind numbingly boring).