$, fulfillment, residency, pagers, regret, hours, life. Please respond.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A-DOG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted at NYCOM for 2000-2001. It has is my dream to become a doctor, but after three years of undergraduate pre-med stress, and not having much of a life, a seed of doubt has been planted in my mind. I would just like some feedback on medical school life. I know the first two years are hellish, but what about the clinical years? How many hours do you work during residency in non-surgical specialties like Fam. Prac., E.R., Internal Med., Psyc., and Ped. How many hours as a licensed physician? Average salaries? Any of these require you to be on call 24hrs. What is your opinion of med. school. Does anybody have any regrets about becoming a doctor? Do you feel fulfilled as a person in the medical profession? Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the site: www.medschool.com Look under "specialty profiles" or something to that effect. They talk about hours per week, salary during residency and practice.

A-DOG,
you are experiencing what I think most of us who went straight from college into medical school suffered! I know I did. I am an M-1 at NSU-COM now... with two months left in the semester. I can say that even though I haven't had much of a social life in med school (compared to college anyways... *sigh* I remember the $1.50 pitcher nights at the bars...), I am having a great time! I've made many friends with teh same interests, I am doing what I have always wanted to do (learn about medicine) and I have also had some patient contact.

I think you should ask yourself why you are going into medicine. Is it for the $? *sigh* Always such a bad question to ask but it is important. If you heart isn't in medicine for the patients/medicine itself, I think you won't be too happy during your first two years (that's all I have experienced so far anyways, the didactic part of med school). If you are in it to learn about the human body, what affects it, how it works, and how you can make it better, then school won't be so bad. Yes you do get stressed out during tests... stressed out a lot, but it comes with teh territory. If you are doubting medical school because you think it will be hard work, well you're right. It is hard work. But it is so rewarding! We are allowed to see patients already (under physician supervision), mostly H/Ps, anyways, but it is what I've always wanted to do, so I really can't complain.

Quinn

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week, in an 84 hour period, I worked 72 hours, and this was in the ICU...131 hours for the week.

Last month, I had one day off.

Osteopathic medical school was a vacation compared to residency.

Go into psychiatry...the hours are great.

Last week, in an 84 hour period, I worked 72 hours, and this was in the ICU...131 hours for the week.

Last month, I had one day off.

Osteopathic medical school was a vacation compared to residency.

Go into psychiatry...the hours are great.

When did the 80hr work week limit rule come in? And its suppose to be 80hrs averaged over 4 weeks right?

Holy Jebus...thread resurrection. Heck, Quinn is DrQuinn now lol. I'm guessing that was his old screenname :laugh:

Holy Jebus...thread resurrection. Heck, Quinn is DrQuinn now lol. I'm guessing that was his old screenname :laugh:

haha, I wonder what they think now

That was the only bright spot to resurrecting this thread - not sure why else it was brought back from the dead. Pretty awesome to see DrQuinn as a 1st year med student, considering he's a bit of an SDN Demigod.