whipple

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2004
Status
I am in the NAVY. I was luckly enough to get a full deferment for G. surg this year. Since the begining of this month, the only thing I have been thinking about is " what will happen to me if March 14th comes and I don't match for G. surg." Can anybody comment on this.
Thanks
Whipple

USAF MD '05

Just another dumb ER doc.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
across the pond
Status
Attending Physician
Gen surg is not that competitive. So long as your programs applied to aren't completely out of your reach, and you ranked some middle tier places, you should be fine. I don't think all the programs even fill each year. If, for some reason, you didn't match, it is my understanding that you would need to scramble for a gen surg prelim year. After that, I am not sure if you can apply again next year for PGY 2-5 slots, or if you would get pulled in as a GMO and sent to the fleet. It likely won't be an issue, though. I'd place good money that you will match- obviously the Navy thought enough of you to let you do it! Good luck!

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
whipple said:
I am in the NAVY. I was luckly enough to get a full deferment for G. surg this year. Since the begining of this month, the only thing I have been thinking about is " what will happen to me if March 14th comes and I don't match for G. surg." Can anybody comment on this.
Thanks
Whipple
That's a pretty stressful thought, and I also worried about it alot during the match process. The previous poster is right though, if you don't match you'd have to scramble for a gen surg prelim year (but you'll most likely match).

OP
W

whipple

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2004
Status
Sledge2005 said:
That's a pretty stressful thought, and I also worried about it alot during the match process. The previous poster is right though, if you don't match you'd have to scramble for a gen surg prelim year (but you'll most likely match).

Thanks guys. I ranked 16 programs, hopefully I will find a place to go.
loyola
u maryland
case western
New brunswick
wayne state
Jefferson
ohio state
New wark
Temple
Downstate
BU
stony brook
Drexel
Beth Isreal
Tufts
Jacksonville

Whipple

DaveB

Slave to The Man
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
whipple said:
Thanks
Whipple
This apparently is not a rare occurence. I was told that you do a prelim year then you actually get the choice to re-apply/re-match in your deferment speciality or you can return to the Navy as a GMO. I've heard stories of people trying to match for 2-3 years before they finally landed a spot in their speciality.