Full Length Exams Fluctuating A lot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugstofunc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I took the MCAT July 2020 and received a 506 (129/122/128/127). I decided to retake the exam, and have a date set for this month.

When I hit the AAMC FLs, I was pleasantly surprised to have scored a 510 (127/127/127/129) on FL2 and 511 (125/125/130/131) on FL3 one week apart mid March 2021. I was clearly spooked by my relatively low scores in CP, compared to my July 2020 test day so I decided to purchase the first 4 Blueprint Exams to get more practice, as well as the UWorld Qpacks.

I'm sad to say that the last 3 exams I've taken -- which are from Blueprint -- were 508, 507, 505.

I'm more confused than ever because I felt like I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. It's clear I'm only strong in certain topics of a section, so I'm pushing my exam day back 2 weeks.

What should I make of this? Any one in a similar boat or have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I'm trying to have an FL average that surpasses my last average because I really don't want my retake to be the same as my original score.

Right now for Blueprint I'm at a 506-507 average and feel that if I was truly improving, I would have a higher average rather than consistently getting lower composite scores as time goes on.

@KnightDoc
I'm telling you, you're probably fine. Of course, I don't know you, so I can't know for sure, but all the third party FLs are notorious for being deflated, and, in any event, they are not truly representative. They are great for practice, but not for measuring where you are.

You might not be improving because you might have hit your limit, but, that limit could very well be 512+. There is no way to know for sure, if you don't have any more AAMC FLs, without taking the real thing, but I wouldn't allow a 506 on a Blueprint to discourage me from going for a 510-11.

You haven't said what your target is. I didn't use Blueprint because I got a great deal on Altius FLs. I also had access to a few Kaplan and TRP exams through review books I bought. And I can tell you that ALL of my third party FL scores were far below ALL of my AAMC FLs. My actual score was one point above my highest AAMC FL. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I took the flowers July 2020 and received a 506 (129/122/128/127). I decided to retake the exam, and have a date set for this month.

When I hit the AAMC FLs, I was pleasantly surprised to have scored a 510 (127/127/127/129) on FL2 and 511 (125/125/130/131) on FL3 one week apart mid March 2021. I was clearly spooked by my relatively low scores in CP, compared to my July 2020 test day so I decided to purchase the first 4 Blueprint Exams to get more practice, as well as the UWorld Qpacks.

I'm sad to say that the last 3 exams I've taken -- which are from Blueprint -- were 508, 507, 505.

I'm more confused than ever because I felt like I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. It's clear I'm only strong in certain topics of a section, so I'm pushing my exam day back 2 weeks.

What should I make of this? Any one in a similar boat or have any advice?
You shouldn't make anything of it. Third party FLs are great for practice, but they tend to be deflated, so you can't use them to predict your score. +/- a few points tends to be within confidence bands. There is no reason to push back a test date based solely on third party test scores. The only caveat here is to also not rely on AAMC FL scores if you have taken them before, because those scores could very well be inflated by whatever you might subconsciously remember.

Thanks! I think I'm trying to have an FL average that surpasses my last average because I really don't want my retake to be the same as my original score.

Right now for Blueprint I'm at a 506-507 average and feel that if I was truly improving, I would have a higher average rather than consistently getting lower composite scores as time goes on.

@KnightDoc

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm telling you, you're probably fine. Of course, I don't know you, so I can't know for sure, but all the third party FLs are notorious for being deflated, and, in any event, they are not truly representative. They are great for practice, but not for measuring where you are.

You might not be improving because you might have hit your limit, but, that limit could very well be 512+. There is no way to know for sure, if you don't have any more AAMC FLs, without taking the real thing, but I wouldn't allow a 506 on a Blueprint to discourage me from going for a 510-11.

You haven't said what your target is. I didn't use Blueprint because I got a great deal on Altius FLs. I also had access to a few Kaplan and TRP exams through review books I bought. And I can tell you that ALL of my third party FL scores were far below ALL of my AAMC FLs. My actual score was one point above my highest AAMC FL. YMMV.
Thanks again! My target is at least a 510 or above. I was hoping to get that on Blueprint as well, so that’s probably playing into a factor for why I feel bummed about my 505 yesterday.
@KnightDoc

Thanks again! My target is at least a 510 or above. I was hoping to get that on Blueprint as well, so that’s probably playing into a factor for why I feel bummed about my 505 yesterday.
@KnightDoc
i'll just throw in a datapoint to say i scored about 10 points higher on the real deal than my blueprint average, don't let those deflated exams scare you. take FL4 and use your AAMC FL average to guide you.

@KnightDoc
My pleasure!! Don't be bummed. It honestly sounds like you are on track to be right where you want to be, if not better!