Jul 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it possible to do a full-length exam in the morning and then spend the entire day reviewing the exam?? When I say "reviewing," I mean going over all the answers, including the ones you got right and then spending the necessary amount of time to understand why you marked incorrect answers for the ones you got wrong.

In order for my MCAT schedule to work out, I would like to spend no more than one day on each exam. If this doing too much in one day? Please let me know.

OP
K
Jul 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm bumping this thread before it descends into the bowels of page 1 and comes out in page 2.

drzing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yes...just after the test take like an hour break--eat, watch a tv show, stuff like that...otherwise you wont retain ANYTHING you study.

Jul 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
This is the method I used and it worked for me. Some people do their review the next day. Definitely take a break (like I have to tell you that after a 5 hour test :oops:).

Baboo Bhaiya

Thoreau to Spinoza
5+ Year Member
May 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
OP... I would suggest that you spend at least 2 days with a test (Day 1 - take the test and then review maybe 1/4th or 1/3rd of the test and then Day 2 - review the remaining of the test and do extra practice with the areas that you got questions wrong in)... I know that that would mean that you would not be able to do all the full lengths that you have, but, I think quality matters more than quantity here.. by that I mean that you should do the good full lengths first (by good, I mean all AAMC).. I think SN2ed earlier posted the list of full lengths that were rep of the real mcat.. check it out

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
where can i find SN2ed's list of realistic MCAT FLs??
As opposed to MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus.

1. AAMC #7-10
2. Kaplan #1-6
3. BR #1-7/GS #1-10
4. AAMC #3-6
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10

Kinesio: I don't suggest reviewing on the same day. Use the next 1-2 days to review your FL.

coolchix321

Removed
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Thanks
should you start off with the most realistic ones first?
For example, should i do AAMC 10 first, then work my way down to 3?
or the opposite?
Thank you

confusedliberal

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
IMO kaplan FLs are completely worthless. Their style and logic of questions deviates significantly from AAMC exams. Sure, kaplan curves it so your score is somewhat close to your AAMC scores but the point is that you aren't getting anythin worthwhile from doing the exams, just a bunch of wrong answers and learning shaky bizarre logic in the solutions...it's a waste of time!

AAMC practice are far more intuitive and simpler. Kaplan will make you overthink easy problems.

I say stick to AAMC

coolchix321

Removed
Jul 24, 2009
Status
should you start off with the most realistic ones first?
For example, should i do AAMC 10 first, then work my way down to 3?

snoopypoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
As opposed to MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus.

1. AAMC #7-10
2. Kaplan #1-6
3. BR #1-7/GS #1-10
4. AAMC #3-6
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10

Kinesio: I don't suggest reviewing on the same day. Use the next 1-2 days to review your FL.
Do these refer to the old or new kaplan FL?

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP, this is something I have just started doing, and I think it's really helping tremendously:

When I take a practice test, I take the test, grade it, then leave it alone. Two days later (with studying in between, of course). I go through each question a second time, this time with no time limit and make sure I try to get the right answer. I check my answers as I go with the solutions and explanations, and then compare to see what I answered the first time. If I got it right both times, and I feel like its intuition, I leave it alone. If I only got it right one time, or wrong both times, I look at the question, read the explanation, and write the reasoning or concept in a notebook I keep.

This has helped me largely because lets say I get a series of similar questions wrong on the first test, but then get them right on the second test (assuming I don't remember the question, which I often don't). This suggests to me an error I might be making while trying to be fast and efficient. It's much easier to correct a technical error (such as estimating notation or something) when you're aware your making it and you know why you're making it.

I do this for every question I'm not 100% sure on. I review this sheet before I study each day as well. My results have gotten much better, and I'm finding that my retention is skyrocketing. I spend about 1.5 days on each test.

samuraiR

7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student

1. AAMC #7-10
2. Kaplan #1-6
3. BR #1-7/GS #1-10
4. AAMC #3-6
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10

Is the only way to get access to those kaplan full lengths to sign up for the course? Cant purchase them separately?

Same with TPR? I know you can buy BR online.

Thanks

Sep 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
1. AAMC #7-10
2. Kaplan #1-6
3. BR #1-7/GS #1-10
4. AAMC #3-6
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10

Yeah, do you know how much that would cost, let alone the time and endurance that it would take?