Full Name Change halfway through dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Beard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a second year dental student. I'm about to get married and have my last name changed. I've been thinking of getting my first name legally changed in the mean time too, because y not? However, all my classmates and instructors already know me by my current first and last name.

Should I change my first name sooner rather than later? Or should I wait until after graduation to change my first name to avoid any confusion? I know it's an unusual question, but any insight would be extremely helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless there is an immediate benefit or reasons other than you being married, I would wait until closer to your graduation. Do it before the school issues your diploma and licensure stage.

When I got married, we could change our last name to anything we wanted but to change a first name, they told us we had to go to court. And we didn't have the motivation to go to court and fix the spelling of my husband's name.

Just change both names now if you are planning to do so and people will get over it.

Reactions: 1 user