full-ride at upenn??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir William Osler

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone get the scholarship? I noticed that someone posted about it? i guess they have already given them out :(.

Members don't see this ad.

Osler,

I received a half-scholarship. I PMed you this question, I'll give to everybody now: does anybody know how many people get scholarships, and if anybody gets a full ride, how many people have that? Thanks.

BOTS

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bots:
•Osler,

I received a half-scholarship. I PMed you this question, I'll give to everybody now: does anybody know how many people get scholarships, and if anybody gets a full ride, how many people have that? Thanks.

BOTS•••••hmmm half is that 16k renewable? Anyone get a full ride?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are merit scholarhips included when a school determines how much need based financial aid you get? Or do they calculate the need based...and then add the amount of merit to it?

i heard they gave out 11 scholarships and i'm assuming those are the full-rides but they could be a mixture of full and 1/2's. congrats bots. that's really an honor.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Sir William Osler:
•i heard they gave out 11 scholarships and i'm assuming those are the full-rides but they could be a mixture of full and 1/2's. congrats bots. that's really an honor.•••••Yeah you could be right...
Grats Bots looks like we'll most likely be at the same school next year. I just gotta check out my financial aid package!

Thanks guys,

UCLA, it is 16k/year, renewable. Osler, I'm pretty sure that they give out 11 full ones, I'm not sure how many half ones. Either way, I'm very excited.
Osler, I like your name as well-- I was thinking of calling myself Halstead, but you beat me to the punch. Good luck with the rest of the schools you all applied to.

BOTS

Hi,

I'm a junior and interested in UPEnn. Could you please post your stats and things that you think got you in with the scholarship?

Thanks so much!!

im blown away....i got the full-ride.

there's 11 of them this year...the website says so. also, the notification was written as part of my acceptance letter (there wasnt a separate letter about it). looks like penn is it for me...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UCLA2000:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Sir William Osler:
•i heard they gave out 11 scholarships and i'm assuming those are the full-rides but they could be a mixture of full and 1/2's. congrats bots. that's really an honor.•••••Yeah you could be right...
Grats Bots looks like we'll most likely be at the same school next year. I just gotta check out my financial aid package!•••••hey just curious...how come u love upenn so much? what was it about that school?

Hi Sinite,
Wow, CONGRATS!

Hi Sinite,
Wow, CONGRATS!

Could you please list your stats and the thing that you think helped you get the full ride? I'm interested in UPenn, so I'm curiuos if I am anywhere close to what it takes.

Thanks bunches :clap:

Wow!! Synite, that is so wonderful (and you are so deserving!). :clap: :clap: :clap:

Premed315 and Radioheadfan--
FYI Check out the last few pages of the "Official UPenn thread" or the Penn waitlist thread. Many "statistically" highly qualified applicants (~38 MCAT, 4.0GPA etc)
were not even accepted say nothing of receiving a full tution scholarship. I'm sure that a lot more than stats factors into Penn decisions, so I don't think knowing this person's stats will help you guys in anyway. However there may be something else unique about him/her....

•••quote:••• Could you please list your stats and the thing that you think helped you get the full ride? I'm interested in UPenn, so I'm curiuos if I am anywhere close to what it takes.
••••A friend of mine who graduated last year was granted a full scholarship to UPenn so let me give you a little info on him: 41 MCAT, 3.98 GPA, valedictorian, at least 1 publication, travels to Guatemala to help take care of orphans in indigent communities, Truman scholar...and I think he may have the ability to walk on water.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by UCLA2000:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Sir William Osler:
Grats Bots looks like we'll most likely be at the same school next year. I just gotta check out my financial aid package!•••••hey just curious...how come u love upenn so much? what was it about that school?•••••Why do I love Penn...

Ranked #3, only 1.5 year of bookwork, pass/fail, ivy league, away from Los Angeles (thank God), I have friends there, Phili is the 5th largest city in the US, supportive faculty, and students seem very happy.

i'm echoing serpiente....i dont think stats will tell you much. but for those who asked, my GPA is 3.8 and MCAT is 39. i think it helped that im coming from the social sciences, since the scholarship criteria mentioned something about diverse interests outside medicine. i have a lot of leadership demonstration. good research experience, and international as well (but not much basic science research). great recs too. i dont think any one thing on my application screamed out....i guess the whole package spoke well of me. i cant believe i'm so fortunate.

thanks all for the congrats...