Full ride scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilroth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has info on how many scholarships schools give out and the stats of the applicants getting them. I believe I heard around 10 per school but I am not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I think to say 10 per school is a bit high, but it is highly variable. Some schools (like Mayo) are very generous with their financial aid, while other are very stingent (especially those schools who have gone through major budget cuts) Most of these full ride scholarships are either for URMs or merit-based. Its pretty tough to get one.....I certainly wouldn't bank on it, but if you get one, consider yourself really lucky.

10 percent per school is a bit high. Most full scholarships that I've heard about are merit based or URM. In general I've seen around 5 merit scholarships per class, dependent on the school. You're very lucky if you get a full scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kilroth
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has info on how many scholarships schools give out and the stats of the applicants getting them. I believe I heard around 10 per school but I am not sure.

Some schools don't do this at all. A couple schools do give out full scholarships, but they only give them out to those students are literally in the VERY TOP TIER. They're pretty much trying to pull students from Hopkins/Harvard. To be competitive (note, competitive, not guaranteed), we're talking 3.8+/36+ AND very impressive extracirriculars.

If this happens for you a big congrats is in order. I'd say probably under 100 of these happen per year, and don't even go into it thinking you might get one.

Edit: That was silly of me to name schools. That always incites 5+ posts of "Oh oh, my school gives them out too!" In any case, something I forgot to mention is that yes, URMs are much more likely to get the full rides, regardless of their financial status (which is annoying to me, but save it for an AA thread). At schools like Baylor, the full-rides are exclusively or almost exclusively for URMs.

Emory also gives full scholarships. I think most state schools have a handful of scholarships, but not all of them. UNC has none for first-years, but I think USC and MUSC have a few.

Baylor and MCO give full scholarships. Baylor indicated that 10 people from the class would get them. I do not know how many people from MCO get a full ride. It is an honor to get one. Even if you never go to the school, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about the place. If I did not dearly want to stay if California, I would be headed to Texas right now!
Good luck and remember anything is possible.

Temple gives out 1 to the student in each class with the highest grades. All other monies are given out based on need.

Duke also gives out a good bit of merit-based aid, and more than a few full scholarships. Many of their scholarships are reserved for URMs, but they do have some money available for the average Joe with 40+ MCATs and incredible research experience.

Most scholarships for medical school are given based on need and for URMs who need them the most. I thought that most schools gave out around 1-3 full rides per class based on merit. 10 is very high. Of course MD-PhD's all get a full ride plus a stipend.

Everyone accepted at Mayo gets a 50% scholarship and around half (15 to 20 people) get 100% scholarship.

There's a program at the state school here - if you live in one of five counties for a year before you begin school, you get full paid tuition/fees/books/supplies/etc + a living stipend. Pretty good deal! :)

"but they do have some money available for the average Joe with 40+ MCATs and incredible research experience."

Er... the "average" Joe or Chang, you mean.

Originally posted by Ernham
"but they do have some money available for the average Joe with 40+ MCATs and incredible research experience."

Er... the "average" Joe or Chang, you mean.

Maybe I'm premenstrual...but you really pissed me off with that one :mad:

Oh and by the way, full ride to Feinberg!

Originally posted by SolidGold
Most scholarships for medical school are given based on need and for URMs who need them the most. I thought that most schools gave out around 1-3 full rides per class based on merit. 10 is very high. Of course MD-PhD's all get a full ride plus a stipend.

It depends on the school. Pitt's class size is 150, and they give out 15 merit-based scholarships that are independent of URM status. And these 15 don't include the MD/PhD students' funding.