Where would you attend?

  • Case School of MEdicine

    Votes: 11 15.9%
  • State School w/ Full Scholarship

    Votes: 58 84.1%

  • Total voters
    69

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2003
2,964
1
Visit site
Status
I've been fortunate enough to be awarded a scholarship to one of NY's state schools which means that I can graduate with hopefully around 50k in debt since my expenses will only be living. I don't think Case's financial aid package is going to match my state schools and the cost of attendance to Case is 55k/year and I think I'm going to end up paying 40k/year = 160k/year.

What do you guys think? Case or STate School?
 

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
1,168
10
Land of the Free; Home of the Brave
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You gotta be kidding me...is this really THAT hard a decision? You're going to end up with an MD anyway...life isn't ALL about what school you went to, you know... It's not like the education you're gonna get at a NY state school is going to suck compared to Case. I mean don't get me wrong, Case is a great place but I'd rather live life and have fun (which means you have money to do fun things with) rather than have the bragging rights I went to a damn good med school and be in a huge a$$ debt...seriously man, come on =)
 

missbonnie

floating
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2002
778
1
Status
Medical Student
Hey Kashue

How are you?

Which SUNY is it? In any case, I would choose SUNY over Case, but that's mostly cuz I love being in NY. Hopefully it was Stony or Downstate so you can stay near the city. I don't think Case is that much better to warrant alot more debt.

bonnie
 
About the Ads

rCubed

taiko master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
416
0
NY
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by missbonnie
Hey Kashue

How are you?

Which SUNY is it? In any case, I would choose SUNY over Case, but that's mostly cuz I love being in NY. Hopefully it was Stony or Downstate so you can stay near the city. I don't think Case is that much better to warrant alot more debt.

bonnie

congrats. if its stony then ur decision's really easy. but even if its another suny, i think ur really leaning towards graduating with a minimal debt. i would go with the scholarship school
 

bokermmk

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
221
0
Visit site
Status
Scholarship without question. Case is a great school and has some interesting programs (especially in bioethics). But I dont think that its reputation is that much better to warrant the extra debt.
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
42
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
which SUNY?

You should wait for Case's finaid package. and develop a range of debts which would lean you one way or another.

For example, it appears that without aid you'll pay about 100K more to go to Case (given Case's higher tuition but lower living expenses).

Suppose case gave you 10K a year in grants. That decreases the difference to 60K. Is Case worth 60k more than the SUNY? You'll have to decide that.

I've pretty much decided that Case is probably worth the 60-70K it'll cost more than going to Drew/UCLA or OSU (even though I'm from LA). Everyone has a different litmus for deciding which medical school is the best fit, so consider all of those things. I'd ignore references to NY being a "superior" location as such things are personal preferences and cannot be monetarily quantified. You'd have to figure that out yourself also. Either way, you've got two great choices! Good luck with your decision.
 

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2003
2,964
1
Visit site
Status
SUNY Buffalo actually. I qualified for one of their tuition waivers.

THanks for the opinions guys. I guess I'll wait till I get financial aid package from Case before I decide. But I don't think Case is worth an extra 100k.
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
nice to see you back kash!

its an excellent position to be in so wait till case send you some financial aid info....and if it isnt anything too good...then go with suny.
 

kito

Big Evil
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2002
4,755
6
deep within
Visit site
Status
Kash be sure to speak with some physicians about this. They'll tell you what it means to graduate debt free and will give you a more reasoned and informed answer without the high octane US News gunnership.
 

Luthertaketwo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
341
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by NDESTRUKT
You gotta be kidding me...is this really THAT hard a decision? You're going to end up with an MD anyway...life isn't ALL about what school you went to, you know... It's not like the education you're gonna get at a NY state school is going to suck compared to Case. I mean don't get me wrong, Case is a great place but I'd rather live life and have fun (which means you have money to do fun things with) rather than have the bragging rights I went to a damn good med school and be in a huge a$$ debt...seriously man, come on =)
Where... the... hell did you...learn... grammar?
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by NDESTRUKT
it's called postmodernism you dumba$$ - you ever take english? ...'s are called ellipses. you don't read the New Yorker do you?
hey man...dont waste your time with this guy....just ignore him and you wont ever have to read his posts again.
 
About the Ads

Luthertaketwo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
341
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by NDESTRUKT
It's called postmodernism you dumba$$ - you ever take English? ...'s are called ellipses. You don't read the New Yorker do you?
Ellipses are meant to omit words from a sentence, NOT act as punctuation marks between sentences. I'm sorry that you have such a poor education.
 

Trekkie963

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
359
0
37
California
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Luthertaketwo
Ellipses are meant to omit words from a sentence, NOT act as punctuation marks between sentences. I'm sorry that you have such a poor education.
I've seen much worse than this on these forums. I think Strunk and White have gotten used to spinning in their graves by now.
 

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
1,168
10
Land of the Free; Home of the Brave
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If you really want to keep arguing about punctuation, be my guest. Ellipses have many uses, one of which can be used for omitted words in quotes. Although that is the case in most circumstances, authors in the modernist/post-modernist movement started using them in character's dialogues, sometimes in place of a hyphen. It helped illustrate the constant flow of thought, which is what modernism often wanted. An example would be:

"She had a pink...beige maybe...I don't know...bathing suit."

That example is taken from a short story by John Updike, if you know who he is.

Once again, ellipses in the "blue book" of grammar will not tell you this. You have to learn more modern types of uses. I would advise you to read more. You'd definitely see it used more often. Perhaps you could take a college level literature class, I'm sure your school has one.

And once again, you're wrong. Just because you don't know doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
 

Luthertaketwo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
341
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by NDESTRUKT
Pathetique.

Almost as bad as some ignorant sap that cites a near 100 year old author as his authority for butchering English grammar. To top it all off, the same author couldn't even write a paragraph without a comma splice. I guess comma splices are ok, too, eh? The "... for dummies" book series would have provided you with a better education than your alma mater did.
 

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
1,168
10
Land of the Free; Home of the Brave
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Luthertaketwo
Almost as bad as some ignorant sap that cites a near 100 year old author as his authority for butchering English grammar. To top it all off, the same author couldn't even write a paragraph without a comma splice. I guess comma splices are ok, too, eh? The "... for dummies" book series would have provided you with a better education than your alma mater provided you with.
John Updike is but one author who uses ellipses. If you want more, do what I suggested and read something such as the New Yorker. Also he's not 100 years old. For someone familiar with the "For Dummies" series, you don't seem too bright.

Next time come informed before you make any suggestions.

I also realize you didn't catch the allusion of "Pathetique". It's obvious you aren't cultured in music either. To quote you because I'll admit that you did say it best - "Look, it's okay to be ignorant; work on it."
 

Luthertaketwo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
341
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by NDESTRUKT
John Updike is but one author who uses ellipses. If you want more, do what I suggested and read something such as the New Yorker. Also he's not 100 years old. For someone familiar with the "For Dummies" series, you don't seem too bright.

Next time come informed before you make any suggestions.

I also realize you didn't catch the allusion of "Pathetique". It's obvious you aren't cultured in music either. To quote you because I'll admit that you did say it best - "Look, it's okay to be ignorant; work on it."
I really don't give a flying fuq about the New Yorker. Considering you are the one with the horrid grammar, I'd suggest you STOP reading it.
 

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
1,168
10
Land of the Free; Home of the Brave
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Luthertaketwo
I really don't give a flying fuq about the New Yorker. Considering you are the one with the horrid grammar, I'd suggest you STOP reading it.
You spelled the f-bomb wrong :)

For someone who's as uncultured and out of touch with things of higher intellect, you sure act superior when it comes to things of academic nature.

If you don't get in med school, you could always join the grammar police. Just don't write me a ticket ok?

:laugh:
 
About the Ads