Full scholarship to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BucsFan813

Anybody know of anyone receiving one?

Members don't see this ad.

im wondering if schools that tend to offer full-tuition scholarships to steal really competitive applicants (umichigan, vanderbilt, pitt...) from going to other schools do so only in the very late stage of the game..... maybe they dont tell you if you get a full or partial ride just yet.

anyone know?

im wondering if schools that tend to offer full-tuition scholarships to steal really competitive applicants (umichigan, vanderbilt, pitt...) from going to other schools do so only in the very late stage of the game..... maybe they dont tell you if you get a full or partial ride just yet.

anyone know?

I'm pretty sure they offer them early so that they lock you in.

What would you do: full ride to one of the schools you mentioned or pay to go to a Top 10?

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on the school. I did not get a full scholarship, but I know a little bit about how it works at some schools. One school I got into last year made us apply for the scholarships after we were accepted. Another school waited till near the end and then made like 12 of us come back to interview again. I could be totally wrong about this [esp. since they waitlisted me last year], but I think Vandy offers you one right up front....but don't quote me on that one.

Most schools only give out small partial scholarships. There are programs you can enter which will pay your full tuition, but usually you have to agree to serve multiple years (as many as they paid for) when you get out. Health Service Corps and military programs (Army Med, Air Force, etc). For the military ones you will get a stipend and full tuition paid, but you must attend a military residency in your choice of specialty (usually at a big VA system) and then serve as an officer for X # of years after.

For the rest of us, it's hard to get a free ride unless you are URM student, and even then, I think full tuition scholarships are pretty rare...

You wouldn't find out about a scholarship until after you apply for the school's aid though, right? Or, do some schools offer acceptance and put a note saying that you've been offered "x" scholarship?

You wouldn't find out about a scholarship until after you apply for the school's aid though, right? Or, do some schools offer acceptance and put a note saying that you've been offered "x" scholarship?

Mayo offers all their students scholarships. Everyone is notified whether they received a full ride or half ride upon acceptance notification.

Northwestern offered it to someone (he's got an MDApp profile somewhere). $40k/year... Sweet...

There was a med student who came to talk to a group of us at Vandy during my sophomore year; she said she got accepted to Harvard and Duke but ended up coming to Vandy because of the scholarship they offered her.

I also know a girl that got one at UT-Memphis. She's white too, but I don't know her stats. I think it was because she was a Spanish major for some reason (lots of Hispanics coming into TN). I think UT gives a total of 5, at least that's what their website says.

I know of someone who got a full scholarship to FSU COM but that's about it. I've seen some people with full rides to UMich, Duke, etc on Mdapplicants.com
but they were 4.0/42-types.

I know of someone who got a full scholarship to FSU COM but that's about it. I've seen some people with full rides to UMich, Duke, etc on Mdapplicants.com
but they were 4.0/42-types.

Wow, I didn't know they did that. I sent in my secondary there yesterday. What kind of stats did that person have? How many do they give out each year?

Wow, I didn't know they did that. I sent in my secondary there yesterday. What kind of stats did that person have? How many do they give out each year?

Have no idea. Wish I could help you :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of 2 students who graduated from my HS who recieved full rides for the current M2 class at Wayne State.

One was from Notre Dame and had a 38 MCAT

The other was from here at Albion and had like a 31-32 but was president of nearly every club ever created... also I think he may have been the first from his family to go to college.

Good question. I'm not sure what choice I am going to make.

whoa thats pretty presumptuous. a full ride from a 10-25 ranked school is hard to land.

i dont know which one i'd take. if im blessed to get a scholarship somewhere awesome im sure itll be a huge factor (and may make me deny an acceptance to a dream school, if i can hopefully land one).

I know duke has the Woodruff scholars program (Coca-Cola guy). They interview for the full rides + stipend in the spring.

I know duke has the Woodruff scholars program (Coca-Cola guy). They interview for the full rides + stipend in the spring.

I know Emory has the Woodruff Scholars - Duke too?

I know Emory has the Woodruff Scholars - Duke too?
Whoops, yeah. Eeek, it's all blurring together at 1am to me today. Maybe this is a good sign to go to bed... I do enjoy that you weren't condescending though; I feel most SDNers take any chance they can to jump down someone's throat for a mistake/ mis-type.

Whoops, yeah. Eeek, it's all blurring together at 1am to me today. Maybe this is a good sign to go to bed... I do enjoy that you weren't condescending though; I feel most SDNers take any chance they can to jump down someone's throat for a mistake/ mis-type.

DukeMed does have a few full-tuition scholarships, somewhere on the order of 10 for an entering class of 100ish. From what I hear, the competition is pretty stiff.

New Jersey Med has the Humanism Scholarship. They give out 8 of them a year. Full ride + $1300/mo stipend. They also have a few $25k, $10k, and $5k scholarships that I am aware of.

I know someone at WashU with a full ride. She is a premed freak though. I think WashU offers 10-15 each year for a class of 120. Other schools that have them are Pitt, Penn, Chicago, Northwestern, Mich, Duke. Most schools use them at the end of the game to try to steal applicants from top 5 schools that don't offer scholarships.

I know someone at WashU with a full ride. She is a premed freak though. I think WashU offers 10-15 each year for a class of 120. Other schools that have them are Pitt, Penn, Chicago, Northwestern, Mich, Duke. Most schools use them at the end of the game to try to steal applicants from top 5 schools that don't offer scholarships.

my friend also has a full scholarship at WashU. they give a decent amount of these to pple w/top #s etc.

Yeah, I think almost everyone who gets one at WashU (and most other schools) has over a 3.9 and close to a 40 on the MCAT... ridiculous.

Yeah, I think almost everyone who gets one at WashU (and most other schools) has over a 3.9 and close to a 40 on the MCAT... ridiculous.

heh, did you mean scholarship, or simply an interview with those stats?

Full scholarship. Although at WashU I'm sure it applies to almost everyone who gets in there.

washu's mcat average is a 37.

i dont know if getting a 40 will put you in the running for a full-tuition scholarship there. they likely place more weight on that other something that differentiates you from other high number applicants.

i think its funny how washu gives off more of that grindy feel than any other top school (like how they give anyone with a high mcat that thing in the mail). it seems like they're scared they wont get top applicants (i wonder if they have problems matriculating students that also get into lower ranked schools).

why the washu hate? those guys were nothing but nice: free stay, any day you want, best lunch ever, etc.

why the washu hate? those guys were nothing but nice: free stay, any day you want, best lunch ever, etc.

not hatin', just stating that they appear very scrappy, for lack of a better word.

maybe its because many full-fledged doctors these days don't even know that washu has a very competitive medschool and is a competent research hub. its like they want to legitimize themselves so badly that it actually backfires. hey its just my opinion. i bet many people dont feel this way at all.

not hatin', just stating that they appear very scrappy, for lack of a better word.

maybe its because many full-fledged doctors these days don't even know that washu has a very competitive medschool and is a competent research hub. its like they want to legitimize themselves so badly that it actually backfires. hey its just my opinion. i bet many people dont feel this way at all.

well, they've surely done a good job. most people i talk to thought i got into washu when i told them i got acceptance from slu. :rolleyes:

I remember them saying on interview day that their class shirts are "WashU School of Med...that's in Seattle, right?"

very cute. I'll admit that I had not heard anything about them until this process, but wow what a wonderful school. And it's not just their med school. The undergrad is VERY well respected as well.

Any physician in research knows how good WashU is... they are a leader in NIH dollars every year.

As far as the full scholarship goes--I really do think it is almost entirely numbers oriented. The girl I know who has one got a 41 and has a 3.98, and says all other scholarship recipients have similar stats.

Baylor: Presidential
Chicago: Dean's
Duke: Nanaline Duke
Emory: Woodruff Fellows
Mayo: Dean's
Michigan: Dean's
Penn: 21st Century Gamble Scholars
Vandy: Canby Robinson
WUSTL: Guttman, Distinguished Alumni, & Olin (female only)

Baylor: Presidential
Chicago: Dean's
Duke: Nanaline Duke
Emory: Woodruff Fellows
Mayo: Dean's
Michigan: Dean's
Penn: 21st Century Gamble Scholars
Vandy: Canby Robinson
WUSTL: Guttman, Distinguished Alumni, & Olin (female only)

There are a few more: Pitt, Northwestern, and Columbia all offer Dean's.

Would you guys take a full ride at a lower-ranked school over an acceptance with minimal aid at a very top school?

There are a few more: Pitt, Northwestern, and Columbia all offer Dean's.

Would you guys take a full ride at a lower-ranked school over an acceptance with minimal aid at a very top school?

Without question, I'd take the money from any school on our combined list over nothing to HMS.

I think I would too, although it would be a really tough decision. I wouldn't want to go somewhere with a scholarship if I thought I would be miserable for four years, but all of those schools are so good that it would be impossible to turn down.

I think I would too, although it would be a really tough decision. I wouldn't want to go somewhere with a scholarship if I thought I would be miserable for four years, but all of those schools are so good that it would be impossible to turn down.

I just did some quick math

If: Tuition & Fees = 36K per year
And: You are completely funded via loans
And: Interest rates remain the same (6.8%)
And: Repayment is 30 years

You would have to pay approximately $950/month for 30 years.

When compared to having NO DEBT from a top 20 school, would you pay this amount to go to a Top 5?

I just did some quick math

If: Tuition & Fees = 36K per year
And: You are completely funded via loans
And: Interest rates remain the same (6.8%)
And: Repayment is 30 years

You would have to pay approximately $950/month for 30 years.

When compared to having NO DEBT from a top 20 school, would you pay this amount to go to a Top 5?

I agree with you, it would be smart to take the scholarship. Although it wouldn't be NO DEBT, since you would still have to pay ~$15,000 per year for living expenses/books/etc. However, if there was a school that I hated when I visited but happened to be in the top 20, I wouldn't go there even with a scholarship over a school that I loved. To me, four years of happiness and an enjoyable education are worth more than the full ride.

Get any Scholarship you can.... i wouldn't get into Military Scholarships though.. They own you and your life...lol (J/K no flame wars please) :D

Agreed. I wouldn't join the military with a gun to my head.

Any physician in research knows how good WashU is... they are a leader in NIH dollars every year.

Agreed. Physicians know about WashU, and if they don't then they are probably FP's (not hating, just stating).

Agreed. Physicians know about WashU, and if they don't then they are probably FP's (not hating, just stating).

It seems like there is the misconception on SDN that WashU's reputation is derived solely from the fact that they are a "numbers *****." People seem oblivious that they have one of the top ranked medical centers in the country, great facilities in virtually all areas of medicine, and are consistently top 5 in NIH dollars. Not to mention the fact that they actually give their money to students, rather than hoarding it like some schools (e.g. Harvard).

It seems like there is the misconception on SDN that WashU's reputation is derived solely from the fact that they are a "numbers *****." People seem oblivious that they have one of the top ranked medical centers in the country, great facilities in virtually all areas of medicine, and are consistently top 5 in NIH dollars. Not to mention the fact that they actually give their money to students, rather than hoarding it like some schools (e.g. Harvard).

It's because most people on SDN are general public and WashU doesn't have quite the public prestige of Harvard. But the truth of the matter is that WashU is very highly regarded in academic circles and has been one of the best med schools and research institutions in the country for many, many years.

Also, SDNers that have low stats love to bash "numbers ******" because they can't make the cut.

It's because most people on SDN are general public and WashU doesn't have quite the public prestige of Harvard. But the truth of the matter is that WashU is very highly regarded in academic circles and has been one of the best med schools and research institutions in the country for many, many years.

Also, SDNers that have low stats love to bash "numbers ******" because they can't make the cut.

Good point. I can't stand it when people even consider "public prestige" when trying to figure out where to go to school. I feel like these people could care less about practicing medicine or conducting research, but would rather just ware the t-shirt that says "Harvard Medical" so they can impress their friends/family.

Good point. I can't stand it when people even consider "public prestige" when trying to figure out where to go to school. I feel like these people could care less about practicing medicine or conducting research, but would rather just ware the t-shirt that says "Harvard Medical" so they can impress their friends/family.

arguably the "public prestige" may help in "practicing medicine or conducting research."

for argument's sake, I wont claim that they'll be better at making you a doctor than a school with less "public prestige." it seems like any doctor thats came from a school with "public prestige" will say it helped, where as doctors from elsewhere would say they wasted their money. i mean schools with "public prestige" are more likely to have more established faculty and better facilities (notice how i said MORE likely), in my opinion.

however, a school with more "public prestige" is usually associated with more respect from residency directors. and thats why those students from the "public prestige" schools dont have to do as well on the usmles or differentiate themselves as much from the rest of their med school class in order to land the residency they want.

that said, if you go to washu or if you go to harvard, the name will probably "help" you about the same.

arguably the "public prestige" may help in "practicing medicine or conducting research."

for argument's sake, I wont claim that they'll be better at making you a doctor than a school with less "public prestige." it seems like any doctor thats came from a school with "public prestige" will say it helped, where as doctors from elsewhere would say they wasted their money. i mean schools with "public prestige" are more likely to have more established faculty and better facilities (notice how i said MORE likely), in my opinion.

however, a school with more "public prestige" is usually associated with more respect from residency directors. and thats why those students from the "public prestige" schools dont have to do as well on the usmles or differentiate themselves as much from the rest of their med school class in order to land the residency they want.

that said, if you go to washu or if you go to harvard, the name will probably "help" you about the same.

I'm talking about schools where the difference in ranking is virtually zero, but the difference in "public prestige" is huge. For example, the difference between Stanford and WashU. Stanford has the "public prestige," while in reality the quality of education between the two schools is almost identical, and residency directors probably consider them very similarly. It seems like there are a lot of SDNers who would attend a school simply because of the name, with very little attention given to anything else.

Creighton gives out full and half scholarships

Yes, I am fully scholarshipped. Scholarships are not easy to get in medical school, though, so no one should count on receiving one. At some schools, they will automatically award the scholarship to you without you having to do anything. Other schools ask you to fill out an application; usually you have to be invited to do this. If you are invited to fill out the form, it's always a good idea to do it. Best of luck to all of the applicants. :)

Me and both of my roomates have full rides(3 of us). One even has a full stipend (living expenses also), the other two of us have full rides plus $3000 per year for living expenses. Cleveland Clinic gives lots of $$$ though. They're hoping to make the school totally tuition free at some point.

I'm talking about schools where the difference in ranking is virtually zero, but the difference in "public prestige" is huge. For example, the difference between Stanford and WashU. Stanford has the "public prestige," while in reality the quality of education between the two schools is almost identical, and residency directors probably consider them very similarly. It seems like there are a lot of SDNers who would attend a school simply because of the name, with very little attention given to anything else.

Definitely agree. Public prestige means nothing when it comes to residencies, because residency directors are members of academia ex officio. They will know that though WashU lags in public prestige, it is one of the best.