Full scholarship to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I am fully scholarshipped. Scholarships are not easy to get in medical school, though, so no one should count on receiving one. At some schools, they will automatically award the scholarship to you without you having to do anything. Other schools ask you to fill out an application; usually you have to be invited to do this. If you are invited to fill out the form, it's always a good idea to do it. Best of luck to all of the applicants. :)

QofQuimica, where do you go to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I received a full tuition scholarship...still have to pay for living, books, and some fees, but it cut my debt in half or better. To be perfectly honest I'm not entirely sure why I received it, my stats were slightly above my school's avg but nothing spectacular (I'm not a minority for what that's worth). I never directly asked because I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my background (I applied disadvantaged, for good reasons), so if your background truly qualifies as socioeconomically disadvantaged I would say go ahead and apply as such even though it doesn't make a huge difference in admissions, because it may qualify you for grants and scholarships once you're in. I did not apply for the scholarship, I just got a phone call ~2 mos before matriculating telling me I had received it. Many people at my school have received at least small scholarships by filling out forms that are sent out each year by fin aid, I agree with Q of Quimica that you should apply for all that's offered as you have nothing to lose. Full scholarships seem to be rare, but partials are not uncommon and can make a big difference. Good luck!

Where are my mid-western folk? If you plan on practicing here, know that Wash U has just as much "public prestige" as any other school. Everyone in the area is intimidated by the Wash U Med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I, and one other person on SDN received full tuition scholarships (plus stipend) to Vanderbilt. According to what I know, V gives out about 10 full tuition + stipend scholarships - 5 Canby and 5 Dean's Scholarships. From what I know they give out the most full scholarships. And you find out relatively close to when you get accepted. I would think of turning it down if it wasn't a top tier, but there ain't no reason to with V.

I know that I, and one other person on SDN received full tuition scholarships (plus stipend) to Vanderbilt. According to what I know, V gives out about 10 full tuition + stipend scholarships - 5 Canby and 5 Dean's Scholarships. From what I know they give out the most full scholarships. And you find out relatively close to when you get accepted. I would think of turning it down if it wasn't a top tier, but there ain't no reason to with V.

Docdude, how much of a stipend do you get?

I know someone at Baylor with a scholarship covering tuition and fees, but it's on condition that he remain in the top quartile of his class.

man, that baylor one is harsh especially with medical school and a top 20 one with all smart people.

I know of someone (wife of a friend) who got a full ride to VCU, but she was an outstanding applicant. She had some really great leadership activities and awesome stats.

I hear that the last person admitted off the waitlist at VCU gets a full ride.

I knew someone who got a full ride to UofChicago. That's about it. I had a friend who turned down money from other good schools to go to Harvard (including a full ride at another top 20). Full riders to med school are rare, but they do exist.

Nebraska tends to offer OOS tuition waivers. That's like a 100,000 dollar scholarship for me. Hoping for it still.