Full-time classes or else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hastur

The Unspeakable
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there--

So, I have very little left to take before graduation. There are classes I'm interested in, but almost none of them are offered next term. I'm doing workshop leader for 4 credits, then taking Evolution and A&P to fill out a bio minor -- which leaves me attending 12 credits/quarter, which is not that big of a course load.

My last several terms: 15 credits Summer '09, 17 Fall '09, 16 Winter '10, 14 Spring '10, 14 Summer '10. I was also working a part time job at that time.

Before that, I got a liberal arts degree (I'm yet another postbac) and went 20 credits/quarter for my last year of that.

Is having kind of a light course load my last year going to affect my application negatively, taking into account that I do have a history of higher course loads?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're full time, it won't matter.

I'm in the same situation! 5 hours of bio research and 2 foreign language courses, haha. I don't really think they will care that much, especially since you have done all the prereqs and are on track to graduate. I certainly doubt that any interviews/acceptances would be rescinded or anything like that. Here's to enjoying a chill semester in undergrad (for once!) before med school craziness begins...

Members don't see this ad :)
12 credits is either full-time or 3/4 time depending on who you ask.

Perhaps my question and my position wasn't understood - I haven't applied yet - right now I'm doing MCAT prep and will apply this coming summer. So I am not on the "slack and wait to get in" track, but rather still trying to get in enough volunteering hours, finish the last couple of requisite courses, etc.

12 units IS full time. It's the bare minimum, and no one's going to bat an eye at it. I doubt people are even going to notice.

I haven't applied yet - right now I'm doing MCAT prep and will apply this coming summer. So I am not on the "slack and wait to get in" track, but rather still trying to get in enough volunteering hours, finish the last couple of requisite courses, etc.
Demonstrating that you can carry a heavy load doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be an academic load. If you have extra time, do some nonmedical community service, try research, take on a leadership role, and get some solid shadowing time in, besides getting in the needed clinical experience hours.