Full time distance instead of full time MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckward

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to the full time MPH programs at Columbia, Yale, NYU, and Hunter. Even with scholarships, they are so insanely expensive. Instead, I think I’m going to do the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine MScPH distance learning program. I’ll quit my job in public health and devote myself to study and finding internships / relevant employment on my own along the way. What does everyone think about this approach?

I already have an MBA in healthcare management from a top school.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to the full time MPH programs at Columbia, Yale, NYU, and Hunter. Even with scholarships, they are so insanely expensive. Instead, I think I’m going to do the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine MScPH distance learning program. I’ll quit my job in public health and devote myself to study and finding internships / relevant employment on my own along the way. What does everyone think about this approach?

I already have an MBA in healthcare management from a top school.

I would say that is a very bad idea.

Networking is super important in landing yourself a good job and with distance education--I imagine you won't be networking much at all.

At Yale or Columbia--you'll have plenty of opportunities. Though I'm surprised you did not apply to any mid to lower tier schools for scholarships. I personally feel if you pay >25k for an MPH--you are not in good shape.

I would say that is a very bad idea.

Networking is super important in landing yourself a good job and with distance education--I imagine you won't be networking much at all.

At Yale or Columbia--you'll have plenty of opportunities. Though I'm surprised you did not apply to any mid to lower tier schools for scholarships. I personally feel if you pay >25k for an MPH--you are not in good shape.

I would say putting a blanket statement that a >25k debt threshold is a bad financial decision for all MPH programs is a bit drastic IMHO. I realize that UT-Houston where you're going is a good value, but that doesn't mean Yale, Columbia, or the London School of Hygiene can't get good ROI or are necessarily overpriced. It depends on a number of variables over an entire career and with Ivy league schools you do have a connection to a network you won't have anywhere else. I personally would pick Yale out of those options but that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't think you should quit your job and go this route, especially if you're already working in public health. I did the distance learning thing concurrently with full time employment during my MPH program and came out fine. Like the first poster, you do have to go the extra mile in terms of networking, but that wasn't a problem for me as I joined professional organizations (not on campus) and networked that way. I believe your plan is doable...I just wouldn't be jobless.

I would say putting a blanket statement that a >25k debt threshold is a bad financial decision for all MPH programs is a bit drastic IMHO. I realize that UT-Houston where you're going is a good value, but that doesn't mean Yale, Columbia, or the London School of Hygiene can't get good ROI or are necessarily overpriced. It depends on a number of variables over an entire career and with Ivy league schools you do have a connection to a network you won't have anywhere else. I personally would pick Yale out of those options but that's just me.

I should confirm that this statement is true. I indeed was in error to make a blanket statement.

Though UTH is not the school that I had in mind when I made these statements---UNC was. Yale and Columbia are just far to expensive to be seen as a good investment IMO.

I should confirm that this statement is true. I indeed was in error to make a blanket statement.

Though UTH is not the school that I had in mind when I made these statements---UNC was. Yale and Columbia are just far to expensive to be seen as a good investment IMO.

Yeah, I am going through a similar situation right now between Emory and UTH actually. I live in the south and Emory would be a great program for me to attend as they have good relationships with consulting firms and their own hospital but they're going to put me 65k in debt vs UTH which might put me 25-30k. I agree UNC is a great deal, I actually did my undergrad there and know that it's as well connected for public health as some as the ivy league schools. Had I not left NC I would have applied to their program, but opted not to because of the out of state fees and honestly I wasn't sure I would get in as they're ranked second.

I honestly don't think you should quit your job and go this route, especially if you're already working in public health. I did the distance learning thing concurrently with full time employment during my MPH program and came out fine. Like the first poster, you do have to go the extra mile in terms of networking, but that wasn't a problem for me as I joined professional organizations (not on campus) and networked that way. I believe your plan is doable...I just wouldn't be jobless.

Leaving a job is hard to swallow for sure. But having the time to network, go to a distance program, and work full time (no flexibility there) wouldn’t happen. Are professional associations as tight in terms of networking as are schools?

Also, if my goal is to get a big network, wouldn’t I want to go to a big school? Yale is pretty small, no?

And just to clarify, the London School is about $19K for the degree.

Leaving a job is hard to swallow for sure. But having the time to network, go to a distance program, and work full time (no flexibility there) wouldn't happen. Are professional associations as tight in terms of networking as are schools?

Well maybe I'm an overachiever or just plain crazy because I just did these things you listed...worked full time, attended school full time, and networked...so I don't agree that it wouldn't happen (although I don't know your personal limits to do all of these things simultaneously).

Many of the jobs or references I've gotten have been through my professional association network (APHA) or work network (did a fellowship at CDC), and not my school at all (it's no JHU, Emory, or Yale, but I feel it has a solid alumni network of people doing things in the field). I have more lasting and genuine relationships with people in these arenas because I overcompensated for not getting to know professors or classmates as well as I would have on campus during the entire duration of my program. It's all about getting your name out there in the field in general...but I realize that being able to drop a recognizable and highly respected school name from the beginning might be much easier than networking from scratch without one.

Many of the jobs or references I've gotten have been through my professional association network (APHA) or work network (did a fellowship at CDC), and not my school at all (it's no JHU, Emory, or Yale, but I feel it has a solid alumni network of people doing things in the field). I have more lasting and genuine relationships with people in these arenas because I overcompensated for not getting to know professors or classmates as well as I would have on campus during the entire duration of my program. It's all about getting your name out there in the field in general...but I realize that being able to drop a recognizable and highly respected school name from the beginning might be much easier than networking from scratch without one.

Well said