Full Time job vs ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j91200920092009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are threads about people letting their grades suffer, due to working; however, I'm having trouble finding info on it causing your ECs to suffer. I just wanted to get some opinions.
Some background info. I have been working at my current job since 2006, full time since 2009 (about 40-50 hrs a week.) I have steadily moved up in position at the company, recently becoming a manager. I've worked full time all 4 years while getting my bachelors(Business Admin) My grades are average ish (3.7).

My question is should I go to part time in order to fit volunteering into my schedule? On one hand, I know admissions likes to see involvement with the community (volunteering) , while on the other they like to see commitment and leadership( which could be showed with my work experience).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Cool major! Healthcare really needs more people who understand the business aspect of it (I am a healthcare administration major).

I think you should, especially if 1) the volunteer activity is medically related 2) you don't have much volunteer experience at this point.

Some volunteering is important. Can you not find time to do volunteering on the weekend? Hospitals often have some weekend volunteering availability (e.g., in the E.D.)...

If you can't fit it in your schedule, yes, I'd say that volunteer hours are more important at this point than continued full-time work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there are threads about people letting their grades suffer, due to working; however, I'm having trouble finding info on it causing your ECs to suffer. I just wanted to get some opinions.
Some background info. I have been working at my current job since 2006, full time since 2009 (about 40-50 hrs a week.) I have steadily moved up in position at the company, recently becoming a manager. I've worked full time all 4 years while getting my bachelors(Business Admin) My grades are average ish (3.7).

My question is should I go to part time in order to fit volunteering into my schedule? On one hand, I know admissions likes to see involvement with the community (volunteering) , while on the other they like to see commitment and leadership( which could be showed with my work experience).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
You should absolutely be able to fit volunteering in with this job, just1-4 hours/week depending on how busy you are any given week. Is there a habitat for humanity in the area? You can rack up 8 hours in a Saturday doing that. Your job has the benefit of being a leadership position and a solid one at that - not many premeds have that, it's unique.

How about this, use your position in your company to organize something philanthropic. This would kill two birds with one stone and would be an excellent interview/essay topic.

Don't quit your job.

Sent from my iPhone

I've talked to just about all the schools in my state (7) before applying and all of them told me you really needed volunteering. Try to fit it in, it's extremely important and almost necessary now.

ok. I'll get it done one way or another. Thanks you all your responses. I really appreciate it!

I am in a similar boat to you, meaning that I work full time as a software engineer and have little time for ECs. My situation is a bit different in the fact that I am working on my Master's degree in Engineering and taking a couple of pre-med classes on top of that and don't have the option to go part-time. Basically, I have very little to no free time right now. I'm already spending parts of my weekends on my schoolwork. Luckily I don't foresee myself applying for a few more years and have time to accumulate volunteer hours. What is a "threshold" for how many hours you guys think is necessary to apply? Don't get me wrong, I would love to do nothing more than volunteer all the time if I could, however, I have to work to live.

I'm out of school and have been working at my job full time since graduating. It can be difficult to get your EC's in while working full-time, but it is possible if you can find activities that work with your schedule and/or are flexible.

I knew it would be important to keep up with EC's during my gap years while working so I made it work. I am a musician and am a member of 2 groups. I have 2 rehearsals a week and various performances and events. Additionally, I am a member of a youth mentor team which involves working with middle school and high school youth a few times a month, and I volunteer at a local hospital a few hours a week. I feel like I never stop moving and I always have someplace I need to be, but that's kind of how I function best. As long as I can find some relaxation time each week, I'm good to go.

Based on the fact that you finished your BA in 4 years while working full time, I think you'll have no problem at all handling the time management if you stay full-time! Just look for EC's that work with your schedule, and most importantly pick activities that interest you! However, if you want to dedicate more time to your volunteering (more than a handful of hours a week), then I would say yes, drop down to part time. Best of luck to you OP!