Full Time Pre-Vet in Columbus, OH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamDVM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what to do with myself as full-time pre-vet in Columbus, OH.

I've got my bachelors and I decided about six months ago now to apply to vet school. My fiance and I are moving to Columbus because he got a post doctoral research position in a materials science lab at Ohio State University (yup, the same Ohio State University with the vet school).

I'm currently a veterinary technician (not required to be certified in my state) and a staff member at a wildlife clinic. I'm also an organic chemistry tutor and I have a little research background. Obviously, I want to do something to build up my application, but Ohio has pretty strong laws requiring certification of vet techs. I'm not sure what to pursue... research in a lab at OSU, vet assistantship, or just wait tables somewhere and volunteer as many hours as possible. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
LeAnne

Members don't see this ad.

i think you should do whatever you want to do...what will peak your interest more during the day? if its research go into lab if it's staying close with animals go into vet tech (if possible). If you really want to apply to vet school, DO NOT get a job waiting tables and volunteer outside for extra hrs. IMO that is a waste of time. You can always volunteer after hours if you have a research job or other things that will at least advance you in science.
If you can afford to volunteer for a couple weeks with a lot of hours while your husband works i would look into a really cool volunteer program, maybe visit this thread.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=679880
Or look up other things for spring. I know at my university there were a ton of really cool volunteer programs for 2-4 weeks in other states when the spring season starts (because i was so sad i could never do it since i was taking classes til May) there are a ton of wildlife ones because of all the animals coming out of hiding and cute babies being born!!

oman, i knew i wasnt crazy!! i could have sworn your name was DVMdream and i also thought you were too far along pre-vet to ask this Q. then i looked it up... there IS a DVMdream, and you are someone else lol. CONFUSING!!

Members don't see this ad :)
oman, i knew i wasnt crazy!! i could have sworn your name was DVMdream and i also thought you were too far along pre-vet to ask this Q. then i looked it up... there IS a DVMdream, and you are someone else lol. CONFUSING!!

Haha sorry about that :) Thanks for the advice ... I don't think I'm going to be in Columbus long enough to get certified (they require a two year program, I believe) and anyway I hope to be in vet school by then. But hopefully I can find something relevant and then if necessary volunteer with a vet on the side.

Thanks!

Hey There,

As someone coming from a state like that, I know what you are going through. It is hard to find a job in Columbus if you aren't a registered tech. I encourage you to apply for animal research positions. There is a lot of animal research that occurs within OSU and that will also help strengthen your position.

Also, there is the Columbus Zoo and lots of shelters in the area. If you can do anything along those lines, that might be easier for you.

I personally ended up working for the University and it was amazing. I got great experience and got all of my vax covered by the university and I learned so much.

Good luck!

Hey There,

As someone coming from a state like that, I know what you are going through. It is hard to find a job in Columbus if you aren't a registered tech. I encourage you to apply for animal research positions. There is a lot of animal research that occurs within OSU and that will also help strengthen your position.

Also, there is the Columbus Zoo and lots of shelters in the area. If you can do anything along those lines, that might be easier for you.

I personally ended up working for the University and it was amazing. I got great experience and got all of my vax covered by the university and I learned so much.

Good luck!

I second this - the university is a great place to work! I am currently working in the teaching hospital, and I absolutely love it. Everyone here is very supportive of me trying to go back to vet school.

I had the same problem when I first moved here - I had been working as a vet tech, and then med tech in a state that didn't require you to have the actual degrees. Even though I had a BS and had done the work, most clinics wouldn't even consider me.

There are tons and tons of research labs on campus, including some in the vet school. Ask around and see if anyone is hiring research techs, etc. I would also suggest that you pay the teaching hospital a visit - there are a lot of positions here, and they do not all require you to be a registered med or vet tech (my job technically required a med tech degree, but I got the job with just BS + experience, so depending on how much vet tech experience you have they might be flexible). Everyone here is very friendly and helpful, don't be afraid to ask! :D