Full-time vs part-time MSW

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by kestrelcry, Jan 5, 2009.

1. kestrelcry

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Does anyone have any experience or opinion on full-time vs part-time MSW programs? It seems most schools I'm applying to have both options - a two-year full-time and an approximately three year part-time. I'm not thrilled about adding on more student loans to my already pricey undegrad degree, but I suspect I'll have to do so no matter which way I go. I'd think I'd need to less with a part-time program. I'd also like to be done with school and get on with the rest of life. Most importantly, I want to be well-trained and get as good an education as possible. Any thoughts on which option might be best?

2. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The ultimate requirements for classes and field placement are the same whether you do full or part time, so there's really no difference. Lots of people go part time, there's no stigma with that. Do whatever is feasible for you financially/family-wise.

3. xenobart

xenobart MSW 2010
    5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I agree - you'll get the exact same curriculum in a 2, 3, or 4 year MSW program (the 4-year is the most truly part-time program that'll give you the most time for another job), and it ultimately won't matter which degree path you take. The advantage to a full-time program is that you can be on the path to licensure and masters-level jobs more quickly, but the part-time program makes it easier to balance life/family commitments and have a job and graduate with fewer loans. either way, you end up with the same degree! :)

4. kestrelcry

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Thank you for the info. Now I just have to try and figure out which would be a smarter financial choice in the long run. Where are the good, free personal financial advisors when you need them? :rolleyes: