1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Full-time work but no extensive extracurriculars/leadership

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by informatique, Jun 13, 2008.

1. informatique

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I submitted my application already, but after looking through other's stats, it seems like a lot of applicants have varying extracurricular activities. Taking on a leadership role in a club/organization requires a certain dedication of time commitment and I just couldn't make that commitment because my work obligations were more important for me throughout the school year.

My extracurricular activities merely include volunteering at the hospital, free dental clinic, tutoring high school students, and MOM projects. NO leadership or research experience. These activities were manageable since I didn't have to stick with a strict time schedule or be in circumstances where I am obligated to attend every meeting(i.e. pre-dent club president/secretary).

My GPA is a 3.5(3.4 science) and I have completed 140 hours of coursework(Bio major/Chem minor). I'm taking the DAT soon and have been scoring in the 20's on practice exams although it isn't predictive of what I will achieve on the real exam, it gives me a bit of a rough estimate.

Since I don't have any leadership and research experience, will this significantly lower my chances of being accepted given that my academic stats are also pretty average?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MonchichiMan

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It is hard to say the whole process is so dynamic. I think personally what got me in was that I was weighed very heavily on leadership and extracuricular. My grades aren't anything to write home about, Overall 3.4 and Science 2.94 with 18s and 17s on the DAT. I have also worked in the dental office as a dental assistant for two years. So in my case the extracuricular saved me. It just depends on the school, however they want to see that you are well rounded. So try to make an effort to me more involved so when you go to interviews you can say, "this is what I am doing..." Best of luck.

4. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think you will be just fine. It is most important, afterall, that you kept your grades up. Seems like you did that just fine.

5. DentAZ

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You'll be fine. What about leadership in your work experience? If you have it, make sure you include it. It isn't all about university life, you know. At the dental clinic did you have any leadership roles, or perhaps in ANY other aspect of your life? Put those down.

6. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Your stats look good to me. Don't worry about it too much and good luck. :)

7. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Anything that is not standard coursework is extracurricular. For example somebody working as a hygienist while completing coursework counts as extracurricular. Also it is better getting deeply involved in fewer activities than lightly involved in many activities. Full time job is pretty intense involvement.