Full tuition merit scholarships? (at mid/low tier medical schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastingpasta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of these? I know UToledo has one, but what others out there exist? I'm looking mainly at schools in the NJ/NY/PA area, but if there are other schools, please let me know. I can't find any threads or information online.

Also note: by mid/low tier I mean anything that's not a big research institution like a T20.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you search within specific forum topics here on SDN for the specific words- merit or scholarship. Specifically on the X vs Y topic and past years’ allopathic threads by school. Make your list when ever you see merit aid or scholarship mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Full tuition merit is relatively rare. My advice is to not waste a lot of time and energy chasing it.

If it's meant to be, it will find you. In world of 60%+ failure, the reasonable goal should be to simply be accepted.

Believe it or not, the so-called mid/low tiers actually have less money for this sort of thing than the top tiers, so you're kind of barking up the wrong tree with the question, and risk finding yourself resource protected out if you focus on lower tier schools thinking you will be competitive for scarce full merit scholarships.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hofstra has historically been generous with need- and merit-based aid, which they combine into one package (at most other schools, they are separate processes). So when you apply for financial aid, the financial aid office uses a formula that incorporates both need and merit to generate a scholarship for you. According to the presentation they gave admitted students this year, most people get about a half-tuition scholarship. I can't speak to how many get full tuition, but presumably some do.

I wouldn't expect this from most mid/low-tier schools, though. Hofstra is a relatively new school and they seem to have set aside funds when the school opened to allow for this generosity so that they could compete with established schools in building a high-caliber class.

The other thing you should know about merit aid is that since it's usually awarded by the admissions office instead of the financial aid office, there can be some flexibility. It might be more accurate to call it "recruitment aid" than "merit aid." For example, if you are a desirable applicant and you get grants or scholarships from one school (need- or merit-based), you can tactfully go to another school that's accepted you and ask them to match it. This can be a way to get funds when for whatever reason one school's formulae don't benefit you but another's does. I would guess that well-endowed private schools tend to have more of this discretionary recruitment money than public schools.

Reactions: 1 users
The other thing you should know about merit aid is that since it's usually awarded by the admissions office instead of the financial aid office, there can be some flexibility. It might be more accurate to call it "recruitment aid" than "merit aid."
^^^ this seems to be happening more than schools advertise.

Reactions: 2 users
The other thing you should know about merit aid is that since it's usually awarded by the admissions office instead of the financial aid office, there can be some flexibility. It might be more accurate to call it "recruitment aid" than "merit aid."
Seems accurate given my own experience as well.

Reactions: 1 user
i also suggest looking into the VA HPSP. full scholarship, with not too many strings attached

What are some of these? I know UToledo has one, but what others out there exist? I'm looking mainly at schools in the NJ/NY/PA area, but if there are other schools, please let me know. I can't find any threads or information online.

Also note: by mid/low tier I mean anything that's not a big research institution like a T20.
I got near full COA at Geisinger Comonwealth School of Medicine in Scranton PA. They give out quite a few full rides.

They also do a targeted scholarship for those who want to go into primary care. They get full COA plus about a 2k stipend a month for the full 4 years then placement into a Geisinger residency. All they require is a 4 year commitment after residency in a primary related field with their health system. I think ~40 students got that this year.

I don't know of any mid-tier full-tuition, but Wayne does give half-tuition (idk if its limited to OOS students though). It went from my most expensive potential school to my least expensive.