Full year of English requirement? Do these courses meet this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludacris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if these two courses would meet the full year of English requirement:

1)
EDUC 1050U Technical Communications. This course will assist students in developing professional writing and presentation skills required for university assignments and for their professional work in the future. It will start with basic writing and speaking skills and will emphasize their application in the preparation of reports and other technical writing. Topics for the course include using correct grammar and punctuation, organizing ideas, formulating persuasive arguments, and preparing narrative and written technical reports. Part of the process will involve students in the critical analysis of the writing and speaking of others as a means of developing one’s own skills. 3 cr, 3 lec, 1 tut.

2)
WRIT 1001T – Writing Course. This intensive course is designed to develop the necessary skills required for writing at the university level in the social, natural and applied sciences. Academic writing is the primary focus of the course, and through a variety of workshop exercises and assignments, students will have the opportunity to learn and practice the various elements of essay writing. More specifically, the course will enable students to develop proficiency in language structures and to practice expository writing across various disciplines. Topics covered include grammar, writing processes; essay and report organization; writer's purpose, audience, and tone; research skills; and critical thinking.

Or do they have to be within the ENGL* courses?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They have to be "real" English course, from schools I've looked at. There is some flexibility for satisfying the requirements within the English department, but specialized courses in other ones don't satisfy.

They have to be "real" English course, from schools I've looked at. There is some flexibility for satisfying the requirements within the English department, but specialized courses in other ones don't satisfy.

Does it matter what type of English course it is? Reading, writing, ect?

Or does it only have to be within ENGL* group of courses such as:

ENGL*1200DE Fall (2007) Summer (2007) Reading the Contemporary World This course introduces students to literary texts and persuasive forms of writing, bringing to the fore some of the links between language and contemporary social and political issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think those courses sound ok

i think those courses sound ok

Do I need to explain that these are "English" courses when I apply or what it is the process? Will schools know that these are the English courses based on the names?

I'm already done the Technical Communication course so I have to take one more... not sure whether to take the Writing Course or one with ENGL*.

Some schools specify a writing requirement, others just say English. Some don't have a requirement at all. Check with the schools that you're interested in. Also, to be on the safe side, I'd stick with courses that are taken through the English department.

Do I need to explain that these are "English" courses when I apply or what it is the process? Will schools know that these are the English courses based on the names?

When you enter your courses on AMCAS, you will enter the department/area they were taken in, and you also enter the course number. At my school, all our english classes start with ENGL, so it's pretty obvious whether or not the course was taken in the english department. Keep in mind, though, that if AMCAS does not agree with your classification of a course (like you take a writing course in a deparment that's not English, but list it as humanities anyway), they will change it.

if you look on the AMCAS application or the AMCAS application instruction, you should find specific categorization of the courses. I was in your shoes last year. My undergrad didn't offer real english classes, only ESL (or less than college level English). I took literature courses to substitute English. Also, I remember Communication classes have their own category. So, look it up sometimes. Good luck :thumbup:

What about University Honors Programs? They fulfill the English requirement here at the University.

I dont know if this helps but im pretty sure that most medical schools are extremely flexible on the english credit requirement. I was exempted from freshman english because of my SAT and only took one english course in college (intensive writing). My AMCAS app listed me as having 3 english credits and my ACOMAS app had me with 0 english credits yet all schools which I spoke with and were accepted to (both MD and DO) gave me an exemption of the english requirement or said my courses were fine. It would probably be a good idea to check with each school individually, if all else fails you can always take a summer school class or something

my ugrad cornell sends med schools a complete list of classes that are designed to be general english comp classes. theyre offerred by many depts outside of english because 2 semesters of them is a requirement to graduate for everyone, theyre called "writing seminars." so med schools are flexible because every ugrad is different

Some schools may be flexible about the English requirement, but I would take the safe route in any case. Course types that are considered English courses on AMCAS are "English Composition & Rhetoric" , "English Creative Writing" , and "English Language and Literature". I would take 2 classes that originate in an English department. The writing course may be ok, but AMCAS may consider the first course as an education course.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if these two courses would meet the full year of English requirement:

1)
EDUC 1050U Technical Communications. This course will assist students in developing professional writing and presentation skills required for university assignments and for their professional work in the future. It will start with basic writing and speaking skills and will emphasize their application in the preparation of reports and other technical writing. Topics for the course include using correct grammar and punctuation, organizing ideas, formulating persuasive arguments, and preparing narrative and written technical reports. Part of the process will involve students in the critical analysis of the writing and speaking of others as a means of developing one’s own skills. 3 cr, 3 lec, 1 tut.

2)
WRIT 1001T – Writing Course. This intensive course is designed to develop the necessary skills required for writing at the university level in the social, natural and applied sciences. Academic writing is the primary focus of the course, and through a variety of workshop exercises and assignments, students will have the opportunity to learn and practice the various elements of essay writing. More specifically, the course will enable students to develop proficiency in language structures and to practice expository writing across various disciplines. Topics covered include grammar, writing processes; essay and report organization; writer's purpose, audience, and tone; research skills; and critical thinking.

Thanks

Check with the schools you are interested in. Some are sticklers for it being an English department offering. I know folks for who literature courses did not count at some places.