Fundamental Truth

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud721

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Optometrists ARE board certified!!! They aren't certified by the MEDICAL board no... but they DO take a three part NBEO (national BOARD Exam of Optometry).

But, like you said.. you don't know anything about optometry. I"m leaving the rest of your comments alone. The only time you post here is to bash my profession and I'm sick of it frankly. So, I'm not going to waste my time and energy when I have exams next week.

*medstud needs a hug*

Members don't see this ad :)
medstud-
Nice name, an arrogant name for an arrogant guy. My father has been an OD for 30 years. He has run a private practice and has nearly 15,000 patients. He would not be caught dead working at a chain store just like 60% of the ODs out there. By choosing OD school he has been able to have more of a family life than 90% of the MD?s or DO?s. He even make more than the average MD/DO. He has the respect of ever doctor in town and of every ophthalmologist in the surrounding area. Have you ever given thought to from who you will be receiving referrals? THEY COME FROM OD?S!!! OD?s are the family doctor for the eye. If you don?t find and show respect for OD?s you will not receive referrals and you will die poor and jobless. My father has many MD patients, and they take his advice because he is a DOCTOR!!!

One story: A patient came to see my father after going to the emergency room and even the GREAT OMD. None of them could find what was causing his pain. Well guess what?this dumb old OD found it. There was a piece of fiber glass stuck in his eye above the iris. It could not be seen with the slit-lamp because it was clear. But my father, the stupid OD found it in just a few minutes and removed it.

Not all, not even the majority of OD?s go and work in chain stores. I have little, if any, respect for them either, but as far as private OD?s, I respect them and so should you!

I know a lot about OD?s and OMD?s, and I know that OMD?s are turning into money hungry doctors. Ever since laser correction came available all hear on the radio and tv is some OMD saying that you should see them and let them shoot a laser at you for a couple of grand. You speak of OD?s selling out to big business, look at the profession that you are praising like Gods.

If you don?t like OD?s stop reading this forum and re-evaluate your attitude. Perhaps read a little about the profession you hate so much.

Look at this link and just see the kind of classes OD students take. http://www.ico.edu/ico2/prostud/accpro2/firsty2.html

If you notice, many are the same as those in medical school. OD?s are highly trained doctors and deserve the respect of everyone.

OD's are board-certified Optometric Physicians & the majority of OD's are in private practice.

Right now, I am learning things in OD school that you won't learn until you get into your Ophthalmology residency, and it feels great! :D

Q: Wow, how do you spell choch?
A: medstud721

i think medpud, i mean menstud.. has a very small penis, which has lead to his 'overcompensating' ego. sad part is that this overcompensation will make even more people think that he is just a little d*ck.

i can understand the little arrogance that becomes of a premed student. but after going through medical school it would be nice to assume that some altruism and professionalism would take precedent. it is hard to imagine that i'll be logging on to chat forums when i am a resident soley for the purpose of some sad sort of self-validation.

just ignore him.

medstud-
Where did your post go? Did you delete it because you realized you're wrong or just because you know you can't argue against the facts that these students posted?

Originally posted by rpames
medstud-
Where did your post go? Did you delete it because you reliezed your wrong or just because you know you can't argue against the facts that these students posted?
...or did someone spray a little Troll-Be-Gone?

I think that it is very interesting that students and practitioners of optometry and dentistry love to state the importance of their professions in comparison with MDs/DOs: the latter group are money-hungry, cold, etc. and the former are caring, compassionate, etc...

I understand the importance of each profession to the balance of good health: I have a yearly eye check-up with an OD, not an MD/DO (ophthalmology), as well as yearly oral health exam with a DDS. My dad is an MD (emergency medicine) and he understands the importance of all practitioners of the healing arts and sciences (whether it be MD/DO, PA-C, RN, EMT, OD, DDS/DMD, etc.) in their contributions to human healing. I don't understand why you have to fight a turf war in order to be recognized. This is to all prospective students of the health care sciences and arts (see above list), no specific group mentioned. Be satisfied with what you do, and know that you will be serving in an honorable field, whatever you do. I keep reading different versions of this turf war in just about every forum I visit.

Thank you.

Okay, I take that back, I have eye and oral health exams once every two to four years. But you get the point.

Originally posted by angelic02
I think that it is very interesting that students and practitioners of optometry and dentistry love to state the importance of their professions in comparison with MDs/DOs: the latter group are money-hungry, cold, etc. and the former are caring, compassionate, etc...

So all dentists are money hungry? Odd. That is news to me.

Whoa... a little blast-from-the-past threadage...

Good thoughts, angelic. I completely agree with you about the silliness of "turf war" waging.

I'd extend what you say to *all* professions, health-related or not. If you find something you want to do, do it, be happy with it, and don't let anyone else hit a nerve about the value of what you do.

And Centrum -- dude, are you joking, or did you just read the order of her post incorrectly? ;)

Originally posted by r_salis
Whoa... a little blast-from-the-past threadage...

Good thoughts, angelic. I completely agree with you about the silliness of "turf war" waging.

I'd extend what you say to *all* professions, health-related or not. If you find something you want to do, do it, be happy with it, and don't let anyone else hit a nerve about the value of what you do.

And Centrum -- dude, are you joking, or did you just read the order of her post incorrectly? ;)
]

angelic is a dude.