Fundamentals of Biochem vs. Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pikarole

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know a lot of dental schools require a semester of biochem. My school has a "Biochemistry I" class, offered by the chemistry department, as well as a "Fundamentals of Biochemistry", offered by the biology department. I realize the "fundamentals" must be a lighter class, which introduces the possibility that some dental schools might not accept it as the prereq.

Has anyone had any trouble with taking a biochem class that was not for biochem majors? I wouldn't mind taking the harder class, but the Biochem I class conflicts with my schedule (and I just saw that it has "Quantitative Analysis" as a prereq to get in it too, which I don't have).

Members don't see this ad.

My school has a similar setup...Biochem 1 is under the Biology department and Biochem 2 is under the Biochem/Chem department...and Chem majors get to skip Biochem 1 and just take Biochem 2. I bet either one would be fine in your situation

either one would be fine. i took a course titled "Introduction to Biochemistry" and it fulfilled the requirement. it was a 400 level course in the bio department, so if it's anything like that, you're fine.