Funded?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flighterdoc

Rocket Scientist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain whats up with Osteopathic residencies being funded/non-funded? Exactly what does this mean, and how does it work?

For example, a particular residency will list that they have 10 approved slots, 2 funded and 4 filled. Does that mean that two residents aren't getting paid? Or are they not getting paid by Medicare?

I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

flighterdoc said:
Can someone explain whats up with Osteopathic residencies being funded/non-funded? Exactly what does this mean, and how does it work?

For example, a particular residency will list that they have 10 approved slots, 2 funded and 4 filled. Does that mean that two residents aren't getting paid? Or are they not getting paid by Medicare?

I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Thanks!

If it is unfunded, then it basically does not exist. You can't pay and teach residents with no money.

Un funded means that d/t the balanced budget act of 1998 there is only a fixed ammount of medicare funding for GME. If your slots dont consistantly get filled you loose them and they go to some one else, and that is what happened in a lot of cases. So when a program says that they have 10approved, it means that the AOA-COGME has approved them for ten training positions.2 Funded means that d/t not filling in the past the govt has reallocated the funding to other programs. 4 filled means that there are 4 people doing the residency. In this case the program or the hospital is covering the cost of the additional 2 residents.

hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Docgeorge said:
Un funded means that d/t the balanced budget act of 1998 there is only a fixed ammount of medicare funding for GME. If your slots dont consistantly get filled you loose them and they go to some one else, and that is what happened in a lot of cases. So when a program says that they have 10approved, it means that the AOA-COGME has approved them for ten training positions.2 Funded means that d/t not filling in the past the govt has reallocated the funding to other programs. 4 filled means that there are 4 people doing the residency. In this case the program or the hospital is covering the cost of the additional 2 residents.

hope that helps

Thanks, yes. So, unless the hospital is willing to pick up the cost, the only important number is the funded slot number, right?

Is there any way (other than looking at the respective websites) to see if the hospital will continue to pay for unfunded slots?

I wonder if the residency program/Hospital tells you whether you are in a Medicare or Hospital funded spot. I would hate to be in a hospital funded spot and then the hospital encounters financial troubles and decides to cut expenditures.

raptor5 said:
I wonder if the residency program/Hospital tells you whether you are in a Medicare or Hospital funded spot. I would hate to be in a hospital funded spot and then the hospital encounters financial troubles and decides to cut expenditures.

Yeah, thats the concern, isn't it?

And since residents are "negotiating" for their slots from a position of negative strength, you're completely vulnerable....