Fundementals of Endoscopic Surgery (FES)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McDreamy911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of preparing for FES exam. Can anyone please post there experience regarding how they prepared for it (reading material, models practiced on etc) and what was encountered on the actual exam?
Any tips and tricks will also be highly appreciated in order to pass the FES (we don't really get a great endoscopy experience at my program).

Regards

Members don't see this ad.

luckily I just graduated and missed having to do this. we also didn't have a terribly robust endoscopy experience. I think one of our chiefs just took it....if I hear anything i'll post back here

As this is a brand new test, not many people have taken it yet. I hope someone here can help you but it is possible you won't get any firsthand responses because of the newness of the test.

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of preparing for FES exam. Can anyone please post there experience regarding how they prepared for it (reading material, models practiced on etc) and what was encountered on the actual exam?
Any tips and tricks will also be highly appreciated in order to pass the FES (we don't really get a great endoscopy experience at my program).

Regards

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Regards

I am FES certified, and I am also the director of endoscopic simulation for our institution. I am happy to provide some non-specific pieces of advice, likely this evening when I have more time at my desk.

In the meantime, I want to point out that the test details, both cognitive and hands on portions, have been published:

Surg Endosc 2014;28:631–638

Surg Endosc 2014;28:704–711

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

Regards

The FES test will have a 1) cognitive test (80 questions, 90 minutes) and 2) a hands-on test (5 modules).

When preparing for the cognitive test, go to FESDidactic.org, create an account, and go through the material (12 modules). This is all you need to pass the exam.

The 5 modules are described in detail in my previously-mentioned Surg Endosc article. I took the test "cold turkey" and passed, but I found it frustrating, so I do recommend that you practice.

Of note, this is essentially a video game, so while I am sure low-fidelity simulators can improve your endoscopic skills, you really have to play on a Simbionix GI Mentor II in order to really be prepared for the exam. If you don't have one at your institution, I'd find out if there's one close by that you could have access to. For instance, I recently discovered that the VA has one, which residents from another program across town use.

Simbionix has recently released modules specifically designed to prepare you for the test (targeting, mucosal evaluation, retroflexion, loop reduction, etc). Only 3 of 5 are completed, but they promise the other 2 are coming any day now. These cost about $15K and my personal opinion is that it's worth it, but you guys won't make that decision as residents.

I don't think it's appropriate to describe the test for you in detail, as I'm not sure that's what SAGES wants, but it is described in detail in Surg Endosc so I recommend that you take a look.

Some bland pointers that I doubt will offend the bosses:
1. Sometimes the computer game needs exaggerated torque in order to register that you're torqueing for something like loop reduction
2. Depth perception is not perfect in the games for touching things with needles, so sometimes the target is farther away than it looks.
3. For fine movements where you'll have to target something or hold something in view, small changes can screw things up, so it may be beneficial to lock your controls.

Prepare the best you can, and you're likely to pass. It should be noted that the pass rate is not great, but I think that's mostly lack of preparation. We are a testing center, and anecdotally I've seen residents from other programs perform marginally and not come back for a second exam, so I assume they passed.

Good luck!

The FES test will have a 1) cognitive test (80 questions, 90 minutes) and 2) a hands-on test (5 modules).

When preparing for the cognitive test, go to FESDidactic.org, create an account, and go through the material (12 modules). This is all you need to pass the exam.

The 5 modules are described in detail in my previously-mentioned Surg Endosc article. I took the test "cold turkey" and passed, but I found it frustrating, so I do recommend that you practice.

Of note, this is essentially a video game, so while I am sure low-fidelity simulators can improve your endoscopic skills, you really have to play on a Simbionix GI Mentor II in order to really be prepared for the exam. If you don't have one at your institution, I'd find out if there's one close by that you could have access to. For instance, I recently discovered that the VA has one, which residents from another program across town use.

Simbionix has recently released modules specifically designed to prepare you for the test (targeting, mucosal evaluation, retroflexion, loop reduction, etc). Only 3 of 5 are completed, but they promise the other 2 are coming any day now. These cost about $15K and my personal opinion is that it's worth it, but you guys won't make that decision as residents.

I don't think it's appropriate to describe the test for you in detail, as I'm not sure that's what SAGES wants, but it is described in detail in Surg Endosc so I recommend that you take a look.

Some bland pointers that I doubt will offend the bosses:
1. Sometimes the computer game needs exaggerated torque in order to register that you're torqueing for something like loop reduction
2. Depth perception is not perfect in the games for touching things with needles, so sometimes the target is farther away than it looks.
3. For fine movements where you'll have to target something or hold something in view, small changes can screw things up, so it may be beneficial to lock your controls.

Prepare the best you can, and you're likely to pass. It should be noted that the pass rate is not great, but I think that's mostly lack of preparation. We are a testing center, and anecdotally I've seen residents from other programs perform marginally and not come back for a second exam, so I assume they passed.

Good luck!
Awesome! Thank you for such a detailed reply. Thankfully we have the Simbionix GI Mentor at our program.

I took it because my program paid for it, not that I needed it. I prepared zero for it, but passed anyways. Regardless, the written part is easy and I think I got like 90% or something without any reading. The practical simulator part is a bitch and the tasks on the test are fairly hard. I would recommend practicing for that, especially if simbionix has released practice modules as another user mentioned. It's not like real endoscopy and as someone else said, you need very exaggerated motions. I have no problem with upper endoscopy for example, but the tasks that were made to simulate it were very difficult.