Funding for an unfunded program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaPsych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, particularly to those of you who chose to attend schools that did not provide tuition waivers/assistanships/etc:

If you are only taking coursework and probably practicums, is it a viable option to have a part time job to help pay for your education?(part time job not provided by your program, that is). If so, how many hours a week could you comfortably work? 15?20?30?

Just wondering...thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that its easier to do in PsyD. programs since you do not have the research component taking up time the first year. In Ph.D programs however, probably not (unless its a paid practicum scenario), and some people would even frown on it. However, this is kind of hypocritical of me, because I have maintained a paid position as a psychometrist and research assistant outside my department while in grad school. Its just 8-10 hours/week, and it in no way provides me with any substantial cash flow (maybe $100/week if I'm lucky). Living in CA, that doesn't do alot. The position is at a med school where my adviser is the assistant PI of a project (so i have her blessing), and obviously its very clinically and research related. This also allows me to have a job and not sacrifice on research productivity, because I am using this job and their data sets to pump out research. And since its part of my adviser's work (just at a different location), its all good! They also are very very flexible with my days and hours. If you can finagle something similar, I would give it a go. But I would not advise trying to wait tables on the weekends and do a doctoral program during the week, or doing anything over 15 hours/week. Fortunately, I have my "sugar momma" ...lol

I think if you have good time management you can swing something for 10-12 hours a week. I didn't do it my first two years because I didn't have to (saved money from my previous job), but for the last couple it has been some decent side money. Teach a class at another college for some side scratch works too.

There may also be some positions at the undergrad that offer housing and some tuition waivers (RA positions and related). I know some people who have done this and made it work.