Quantcast

Funding Q's: USC v. Yale v. NYU v. UMich v. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthdisparity

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello everyone. So like many of you, I am gearing up for the Fall 2012 application cycle. I will be applying to MPH, MPA, MHA degrees in Health Management.

The thing I am most struggling with and my absolute biggest concern is funding. Specifically for these schools:
  • University of Southern California
  • Columbia
  • Yale
  • New York University
  • Michigan

If any of you are prospective, current, or graduates of these schools, any information would be appreciated. How much did you receive? How much does it cost total? Thanks so much and have a great day.

Wickel

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue myself. I'm applying to all of the same programs with the exception of USC. I know that many people on these boards received financial aid and I plan on applying to several scholarships myself. I'd like to hear some people's experiences with funding.

RAMPA

Pimpiro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So like many of you, I am gearing up for the Fall 2012 application cycle. I will be applying to MPH, MPA, MHA degrees in Health Management.

The thing I am most struggling with and my absolute biggest concern is funding. Specifically for these schools:
  • University of Southern California
  • Columbia
  • Yale
  • New York University
  • Michigan

If any of you are prospective, current, or graduates of these schools, any information would be appreciated. How much did you receive? How much does it cost total? Thanks so much and have a great day.

Without any type of aid Columbia would be the cheapest option b/c you graduate one semester earlier than the other programs, thus earning a salary sooner.

I was admitted to both Columbia & NYU and NYU was much more generous with scholarships.

Wickel

Reaction score
Without any type of aid Columbia would be the cheapest option b/c you graduate one semester earlier than the other programs, thus earning a salary sooner.

I was admitted to both Columbia & NYU and NYU was much more generous with scholarships.

What sorts of scholarships were you awarded? Were they all Merit Based?

RAMPA

Pimpiro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sorts of scholarships were you awarded? Were they all Merit Based?

NYU Wagner was merit based.

As one of the most meritorious applicants for full-time study, we are delighted to offer you an award of X credits per semester for Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. You are required to register for a minimum of 12 credits both semesters. This award is equivalent to $X,XXX for one full academic year that will be applied
towards your tuition.

I didn't complete a separate application to receive the award.

healthdisparity

Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that no one else went through or is going through this exact scenario. Where are you fellow SDN'ers?

RAMPA

Pimpiro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that no one else went through or is going through this exact scenario. Where are you fellow SDN'ers?

with little to no funding Columbia will cost at least 95K and NYU will be at least 110K

have you looked through the ACHE for scholarship opportunities?

luckyjoe

Reaction score
current 2nd year student here...

I was accepted into Columbia and PSU for their MPH-HPM/MHA program. I received full 2 year funding from PSU so I decided to go there. Of course other factors came into play, but we're talking about funding

with almost no funding:

PSU cost wise - approx 52k for 2 years (10k year for living, 16k year for tuition)
Columbia cost wise - approx 100k

I would say that a good amount of people in my class has some kind of funding (partial or full)

werd814

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Yale has a few full-ride scholarships they like to give out, but I'd guess there aren't more than 5-10 (out of 144 enrolled). These scholarships seem to be either merit or diversity (i.e. URMs and international students) based. I know one full ride + small stipend exists for a student interested in environmental health... other departments may have similar scholarships, but I'm not quite sure.

From what I hear, YSPH isn't the greatest at grant-based fin aid. I think the average package is $5k - $10k (grants) per year with a healthy bit of loans, but I'd check with the fin aid dept. about this past year's stats-- they're pretty friendly. As for TA positions, a handful of second-year MPHers are offered them, but they're mostly reserved for PhD students. And I'm pretty sure they don't include tuition remissions, though the salary is pretty decent (I've heard $5k per semester for one class/ 10hrs per week).

Wish I could help with the other schools, but they weren't on my list.

Best of luck!

werd

healthdisparity

Reaction score
current 2nd year student here...

I was accepted into Columbia and PSU for their MPH-HPM/MHA program. I received full 2 year funding from PSU so I decided to go there. Of course other factors came into play, but we're talking about funding

with almost no funding:

PSU cost wise - approx 52k for 2 years (10k year for living, 16k year for tuition)
Columbia cost wise - approx 100k

I would say that a good amount of people in my class has some kind of funding (partial or full)

Great to hear from you!! I have been receiving numerous PM's about "price v. status" of certain schools. It is absolutely refreshing to read someone who went to a more affordable, but still adequate university. Especially if you were able to get it for FREE?!?!?!

I am struggling with this fact very much. It seems our nation has become fixated on rankings and elite reputation. I have no doubt Penn State has a fantastic program, but for whatever reason, doesn't have the same WOW affect on people that a John Hopkins or Columbia.

Anyways, I thank you for the response and if it is alright, I would hope to send a PM with further questions.

healthdisparity

Reaction score
I know Yale has a few full-ride scholarships they like to give out, but I'd guess there aren't more than 5-10 (out of 144 enrolled). These scholarships seem to be either merit or diversity (i.e. URMs and international students) based. I know one full ride + small stipend exists for a student interested in environmental health... other departments may have similar scholarships, but I'm not quite sure.

From what I hear, YSPH isn't the greatest at grant-based fin aid. I think the average package is $5k - $10k (grants) per year with a healthy bit of loans, but I'd check with the fin aid dept. about this past year's stats-- they're pretty friendly. As for TA positions, a handful of second-year MPHers are offered them, but they're mostly reserved for PhD students. And I'm pretty sure they don't include tuition remissions, though the salary is pretty decent (I've heard $5k per semester for one class/ 10hrs per week).

Wish I could help with the other schools, but they weren't on my list.

Best of luck!

werd

This is a very interesting/depressing/informative post all in one. Thank you!

Considering Yale Health Management is small, with what I'm assuming to be very qualified students, my chances for one of those few full-riders is slim. That's too bad about the whole TA positions being taken by PhD students, but they're probably most deserving.

I must digest this all and make a difficult decision. I'm assuming some find outside scholarships, work and save prior, or are fortunate enough to have financial support from other sources. Even though it is Yale, personally I don't think any Masters degree is worth 80k+ of debt. Anyway, thanks once again.

Stories

Life Afficianado
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting/depressing/informative post all in one. Thank you!

Considering Yale Health Management is small, with what I'm assuming to be very qualified students, my chances for one of those few full-riders is slim. That's too bad about the whole TA positions being taken by PhD students, but they're probably most deserving.

I must digest this all and make a difficult decision. I'm assuming some find outside scholarships, work and save prior, or are fortunate enough to have financial support from other sources. Even though it is Yale, personally I don't think any Masters degree is worth 80k+ of debt. Anyway, thanks once again.

In general, grants/scholarships/finaid is far rarer than for undergrad studies. So Yale is not isolated in this circumstance.

Doctoral students are required for graduation requirements to teach in some capacity at Yale (and most other institutions) which is why they all have first dibs on teaching assignments.

werd814

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
... no matter how I sliced and diced the content of this post, I felt like a tool. This is all I meant to say:

Any certified MPH department will give you the opportunity to develop a great skillset for doing actual public health work. It's really all what you make of it. And once you get a few years of experience under your belt, the name on your degree loses significant weight (unless you go into academia... but even then, what you've done is more important than where you got your degree). Sure, a brand name is more fun to have on your CV and probably pretty helpful in landing a job right out of grad school, but an MPH from a small no-name public university is likely to give you more or less the same tools you need to work in Public Health.

My opinion is to take the money and run. I did, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Also, for the record, PSU is definitely an elite name in the research world. =)

Last edited:

jaya88

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know about the other schools, but I did apply and get accepted to Yale. However, I was only offered a few thousand dollars and it just wasn't worth it in end. I have heard (although, not from any current students--just a few in the past), that it is typical to get more money than that. Their financial aid office told me that no one gets a full ride but clearly that isn't accurate or perhaps it depends on what division or program you apply to. Someone from Yale can provide you with better information, but when I visited, almost all of the health management students I met were right out of college so I wouldn't assume that you wouldn't be a candidate for one of those full ride opportunities.

I took the money over the reputation and went to a state school (UIC) where I am basically being paid to go to school which is awesome. I have to say, I do wish my program was more globally focused and wonder if I missed out with Yale in this regard, but if I was at Yale, I think I would always be worried about money. I am only a month in, but it seems like all core classes would virtually be the same at any school (give or take teaching differences) and really, it is what you make of it.

At this point in time, I wouldn't limit your applications to where you think you might get funded or places that have a reputation for good funding. You never know what oppportunities may arise.

Good luck!
Jaya