Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinicalpsyapp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just beginning my first year of grad school and have an RA-ship that covers tuition and provides a small stipend, but is not enough to cover my cost of living completely. I've been starting to think about applying for fellowships/scholarships, etc. from outside sources to possibly increase my income and decrease my need for loans, and also because I know it looks good that you have been successful at securing your own funding. Has anyone been successful at this? Any suggestions on what funding programs to apply for or advice for applying?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As a fellow first year, I can't say I've got much experience with that. From what I remember in undergrad (not sure if this applies to what you plan on applying for) is that most people either don't know about most scholarships or simply neglect to apply.

I'm sure you could get something, but I wouldn't expect it to pay more than a month's expenses (which would be amazing in of itself for graduate students like us).

Or you could sell your body to science. I know I'm considering it.

One good place to start might be your own university. Most schools have an office devoted to assisting students with funding searches, and also offer internal funding opportunities. I was able to earn a small grant this way that helped to fund a research project (plus these smaller grant/scholarship opportunities are a great way to get experience writing applications and will help when you later want to apply for larger ones). Once you have an established research project/direction, you might consider something larger, like an NRSA, which is a training grant and (I believe) provides the student with a stipend.

You can also check out regular scholarship sites (like Fastweb), which have a ton of different opportunities for a range of scholarships.

There are some highly competitive external fellowships that doctoral students in psychology can apply to. Also, there are internal (within the school) fellowships as well. I have the latter - both are fairly competitive. I know in my case, I received 1 out of 15 university wide graduate fellowships (out of, I was told, approximately 300 applicants). I would think that some of the prestigious external fellowships (e.g. NSF, Ford Foundation) would be quite a bit more competitive.

You can do some google searches to find the external fellowships and should receive emails about the internal ones (or can check with the graduate school at your university).

I did a google search on your behalf, and in one search found these:

http://www.apa.org/apf/funding/scholarships/index.aspx

http://www.gradschools.com/article-detail/types-of-graduate-fellowships-1676

http://socialsciences.ucsc.edu/admi...s/Graduate Student Research/Psych-fellows.php

I'm just beginning my first year of grad school and have an RA-ship that covers tuition and provides a small stipend, but is not enough to cover my cost of living completely. I've been starting to think about applying for fellowships/scholarships, etc. from outside sources to possibly increase my income and decrease my need for loans, and also because I know it looks good that you have been successful at securing your own funding. Has anyone been successful at this? Any suggestions on what funding programs to apply for or advice for applying?

Thanks!