Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

?? Funked up my premed req. but still alive

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jabba, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Jabba

Jabba beezer
    7+ Year Member

Whn I attended a national university, I funked up my premed requirment, science GPA 3.2; but my overall is better 3.5. I am changing something wrong into right. Right now I am taking upper grad biology courses at a top 40 university and I have a 3.6GPA.

Will admission committee focus more on my current courseload when deciding for an interview?

2. MiamiMarmot

MiamiMarmot Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ADCOMs like to see people rebound, so i've heard. If you have been getting a bunch of good grades in grad school, you may look more favorable on paper. Just remember that ADCOMs look at the whole picture, so I hope you have been doing a much of interesting activities!

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    A national university? I didn't know such a thing existed! Top 40 grad School? I'll tell you now, do not worry about where you went to undergrad. It's not all that important because med schools KNOW there are great students in EVERY school. Going to a top school is only supposed to benefit yourself, not your med school chances. Also, might I add, a 3.2 science is NOT lethal. You can still get in with high MCATs. Since you went to a "good" school, you should have no problem doing well on it, right? The admissions committee will look at everything you've done so far. Your undergrad will count significantly more, but your grad work will be considered. The extent to which it is considered depends on the school and the reviewers of your application. Other than that, a strong trend later in your college days is always favorable. Best of luck.

4. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

it also depends on how much grad work you do. A lot of med schools state that they will calculate a separate post-bac GPA (which would be good in your case) but most will only do this if you take a significant number of post-bac courses not just one or two. eg George Washington will only calculate a post-bac GPA if you take at least 12 semester hours post-bac work. Other than that it just gets averaged in with your undergrad GPA.

good luck

onwis