Funniest or best gross only specimen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your best gross only specimen. Mine is a pink vibrating dildo that was still operable that was removed from a young mans rectum. Second place would be the not one but two titleist prov1 golf balls from a teenage girls vagina. It makes you realize that if it can be thought of then someone has probably done it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
During my PSF last year, I got a bra underwire that was retrieved from the liver of an unfortunate trauma patient. It was bent (almost perfectly) in half by a bullet.

Our male residents had a bit of trouble identifying it at gross conference that week. :laugh:

Worked in path lab for 3 years before med school. One morning we received a "perianal foreign body" that turned out to be an 11"-long orange dildo from a male in his UPPER 60's... Call me naive at the time, but upper 60's? I hope I have that much fun in my "old" age...

Though not gross-only, we also received a section of small bowel with various objects, including buttons, coins, AA batteries (which had leaked acid and burned the mucosa), razor blades (how those made it down the esophagus without ripping it to shreds, I don't know..), and the weirdest thing...one of those little plastic ties that you have to unwrap on the top of a brand new gallon of milk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bladder foreign body: about an 18" stainless steel rod, much like those sometimes used in wound examinations in forensic path. Never got the story of that one.

Rectal foreign body: On a save-shelf in the gross room was a formalin filled container with that label on the outside, and inside was a large rat. For a year and a half that was the only story I knew about it. Sadly it turned out to be a hoax -- it was literally a lab rat someone had partially dissected and used in some old histo project or other.

Prior to pathology, we retrieved a large soup spoon from the stomach of a teenage girl who had been trying to make herself vomit and stuck it in a little too far until the swallow reflex triggered and pulled it out of her hand. In a separate case a mentally handicapped individual inserted an unlit cigarette in his penis and the filter broke off inside. In another separate case an individual swallowed some old double-edged razor blades in a suicide attempt; we waited for them to pass naturally (I only have x-rays), which they did, to my surprise at the time (the vast majority of the time even the most unlikely objects pass with little to no internal injury). That made for a very unfortunate sharps container.

10 inch metal shaft with surrounding fecal material inserted in a man's anus.

Smelled like ****, pardon my French.

Not really a gross only, but a arm amputated above the elbow in a meat grinder. I think the grinder took in the hand and with it the whole arm.

Heard about this one from a senior, not a gross only, but an autopsy.

Dude got sliced in half with a samurai sword by his male lover. Dude at autopsy had a c*ck ring.

Thinking about those golf balls reminded me how the tech wanted to formalinize them after the gross. I was like "Why!?". They are just golf balls, well not just any old golf balls, but the best golf balls money can buy. You could wash them off with one of those golf ball washers and play with them. Those things cost $4 bucks each. I have pulled 50 cent golf balls from some of the murkiest stankiest ponds around. I would have had no problem playing with those and it would have made for a great story, telling my golfing buddies that they had been pulled from a vajayjay.

Last edited:
One of the female residents got a vibrator at the VA hospital. She was an older FMG. She didn't know what it was, so I was called in to identify it. I told her. She was so embarrassed that she immediately wrapped it up when she was finished grossing it & hid it in the back of the specimen cabinet. I've seen a few "marital aides" during my time as a resident.

I think the funniest gross specimen would be a bottle of "Mexican" Snapple. The glass bottle was removed intact from a female. I can't remember if it was vaginal or rectal, but it's still pretty funny either way.

Speaking of arms, one of my co-residents got an arm that was traumatically removed because the person had stuck it outside of a moving vehicle.

----- Antony

What's your best gross only specimen. Mine is a pink vibrating dildo that was still operable that was removed from a young mans rectum. Second place would be the not one but two titleist prov1 golf balls from a teenage girls vagina. It makes you realize that if it can be thought of then someone has probably done it.

coke bottle from a woman's vagina which latched onto her cervix after she shook it up to provide a cleansing solution for vaginitis...sucker her cervix into the bottle via the vacuum...exquisitly painful for patient.and endless merriment for OBGYN residents and students..we had them trooping down to path for weeks to see "the bottle"

One of the female residents got a vibrator at the VA hospital. She was an older FMG. She didn't know what it was, so I was called in to identify it. I told her. She was so embarrassed that she immediately wrapped it up when she was finished grossing it & hid it in the back of the specimen cabinet. I've seen a few "marital aides" during my time as a resident.

Just out of curiosity, what terminology do you guys use to describe such an object for your gross description?