"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can attest, filling out the IA portion on secondaries is a bit embarrassing and can limit the cycle *Stares glaringly towards Los Angeles*

Sounds like there is a back story...care to share?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my wife's coworkers is a premed. She comes from really wealthy family. Anyways she recently took MCAT and told my wife she scored poorly. She wouldn't say her score but said it was below 500. She got accepted into SGU and according to my wife is SUPER excited and cant wait to start.

...RIP

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This reminds me of myself just one week ago:

Says he is very adamant about FM or lifestyle specialty

Someone says Plastics is more manageable during residency to have a family

Immediately switches potential interest to Plastics based on hearsay

As premeds, we don't really know what we want to do in most cases it seems.

LOL like people just stumble into plastics... if only.

Also gotta say, there is literally no way any surgical specialty is more family friendly during residency than family med or internal med. Plastics is also a 6-7 year residency, so literally twice as long as either of the others as well. Maybe the person was thinking of that one work hours chart, where PRS was the only surgical specialty that on average works less hours/week than IM or FM? But that's for attendings.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL like people just stumble into plastics... if only.

Also gotta say, there is literally no way any surgical specialty is more family friendly during residency than family med or internal med. Plastics is also a 6-7 year residency, so literally twice as long as either of the others as well. Maybe the person was thinking of that one work hours chart, where PRS was the only surgical specialty that on average works less hours/week than IM or FM? But that's for attendings.
Figured as much. In that conversation I think I expressed that same sentiment. Personally, I know I would love surgery as a career but family is number one (daughter just turned 4, coming up on 5th anniversary) so as long as I can work with my hands I will be content (albeit not fully satisfied in the professional realm).

Here is potentially a stupid premed quote, is there any specialty where I can work heavily with my hands and also have a decent lifestyle during residency?

Here is potentially a stupid premed quote, is there any specialty where I can work heavily with my hands and also have a decent lifestyle during residency?

Gas - your hands will be hard at work with either a laryngoscope (~1% of the time) or cruising SDN (the other ~99%)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Figured as much. In that conversation I think I expressed that same sentiment. Personally, I know I would love surgery as a career but family is number one (daughter just turned 4, coming up on 5th anniversary) so as long as I can work with my hands I will be content (albeit not fully satisfied in the professional realm).

I don’t think any speciality has a decent lifestyle in residency. You make your lifestyle good on your own. My wife and I have been working like dogs our entire 7 year marriage and we still have a good relationship with each other and our kids.

Reactions: 3 users

Gas - your hands will be hard at work with either a laryngoscope (~1% of the time) or cruising SDN (the other ~99%)
Haha you beat me to it. Gas is great for those who prefer operation over consultation but don't want to deal with the crap that comes with being a surgeon. EM would be another one to consider. Its very hands on in terms of all the skills and procedures you need to be able to do, but much less so in practice as you will rarely use the majority of skills. Whatever suits your fancy. Its also farely family friendly since volume of hours worked is pretty low.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Haha you beat me to it. Gas is great for those who prefer operation over consultation but don't want to deal with the crap that comes with being a surgeon. EM would be another one to consider. Its very hands on in terms of all the skills and procedures you need to be able to do, but much less so in practice as you will rarely use the majority of skills. Whatever suits your fancy. Its also farely family friendly since volume of hours worked is pretty low.

Here is another potentially stupid premed quote:

I really don't wanna be a gunner in med school, but y'all are making it sound like I need to be a gunner if I want a cush lifestyle during residency...RIP....EP-ROAD or die I guess.....

I really don't wanna be a gunner in med school, but y'all are making it sound like I need to be a gunner if I want a cush lifestyle during residency...RIP....EP-ROAD or die I guess.....

another reason to do gas. It is the least competitive ROAD specialty

• Love

Anesthesia is not very competitive. Radiology is moderately competitive, but wouldn't require you to gun for it earlier like the truly competitive specialties (optho and derm included in that group). EM is moderately competitive, but in a different way from the more score-crazed specialties, so doesn't require gunning in the same way.

But as said above, almost nothing is family friendly during residency. Friendliest would probably be psych or family medicine.

Anesthesia is not very competitive. Radiology is moderately competitive, but wouldn't require you to gun for it earlier like the truly competitive specialties (optho and derm included in that group). EM is moderately competitive, but in a different way from the more score-crazed specialties, so doesn't require gunning in the same way.

But as said above, almost nothing is family friendly during residency. Friendliest would probably be psych or family medicine.
^^^this. There's a big difference between needing decent step/clinical grades and needing a 250 step 1 and 12 pubs in a specific field

• Sad
DO schools had grade replacement not grade forgiveness. What exactly does she mean by that? Also yikes!

Pretty sure it’s the same thing just different terminology. Grade forgiveness is when you can retake a class and the grade will replace your prior grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me age 4: *miserable rashy baby who had to sleep with socks on her hands* I want to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 10: I want to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 16: oh damn, derms make a lot of $$$! You say it’s hard? Ha, I’m always the top of my class, even when I’m stoned I make A’s. No problem. I’m going to be a dermatologist when I grow up!

Me age 18: I’m doing chemical engineering for my undergrad because I want to be a dermatologist and it’s a great premed track per my OB/GYN.

Me halfway through first semester freshman year, a whooole lotta parties, dating my future ex husband, also still thinks doing homework is studying: C on my chem midterm?!?! I’ve always excelled in science, wtf? I’ll never be a doctor with grades like these. Well, I can still be in healthcare as a nurse, helping people is what matters to me anyway, and this career will be more amenable to family life.
Side rant - any career that requires 14 hour days, holidays, and limited ETO is NOT family friendly, especially if you end up single along the way./rant

Me age 20: 3.5 gpa, 400 applicants for 72 spots in the nursing school - rejected. Welcome to the real world.

Me post Mrs degree and finally in nursing school: Yeh, screw this, I still want to be a physician. I want to figure out the problem, not push drugs and answer call lights all day. Oh damn, that pregnancy test is positive.

Me in the ED: Whew, I would have been bored out of my mind looking at moles on butts all day long. I want to be an ER doctor - I don’t want to just set up the chest tube, I want to insert the chest tube.
Mr: No, you can’t go to med school.
Me: ....here’s my plan, this fall I’ll take...then biochem... you know it’s been my life’s dream.
Mr: Fine, you can go to med school, just don’t expect me and your son to come with you.
Me: chardonnay, Pinot noir, cab sauv, gin and tonic, girly romance novels, candy crush, running, overtime, shopping. Also, divorce 10 years overdue.

Me last year: Call lights are the fifth circle of hell - I want my patients SAP’d, Doe status without family, and night shift gave the bath. I’m not taking the rotisserie if you don’t make them 1:1. Still want to go to med school. Derm is a whole lot harder than just ABCDE’ing some moles, plus they do get to help people feel comfortable in their own skin. Botox is bank. Still would rather play with nec fasc in the unit than look at moles on butts all day.

Me now: NP school. I want to know all the things. Let me fluff that pillow for you while I walk on sunshine because I escaped hell and don’t have to answer call lights anymore. Shock is my jam. I’m going to med school in a few years and I’ll do whatever it takes to get there. Mad respect for derm - that s***’s hard, makes ABG’s look like third grade math and chem had a baby...oh wait.

Wait, so what happened? NP or MD? I have to know how this story ends!!

“tbh I feel like above a 523ish actually hurts more than it helps” - applicant with 20+ interviews in the middle of a group discussion about other applicants being at 10%

Well he is right... Many adcoms stop distinguishing after a certain level at top schools and yield protection is real.

Well he is right... Many adcoms stop distinguishing after a certain level at top schools and yield protection is real.
There are no schools that are like "ya a 522 is fine but miss me with that 525"

Reactions: 5 users
Wait, so what happened? NP or MD? I have to know how this story ends!!

Currently in NP school.

I’m on here figuring out what I need to do to make myself a competitive medical school applicant - the only two med schools in my region (90 minute drive) are highly ranked. Applying broadly isn’t an option until my son graduates from high school thanks to joint custody.

In the mean time, I’ve stumbled across some gems with med student study tips - Pathoma and Sketchy are phenomenal study aids.

I don’t think any speciality has a decent lifestyle in residency. You make your lifestyle good on your own. My wife and I have been working like dogs our entire 7 year marriage and we still have a good relationship with each other and our kids.

This. Also, I'm just hoping the kids will be young enough that they won't really remember much about my residency years... Any child neuro wantabees who can tell me when kids start laying down memories of an absentee parent (kidding, kind of...)

I tried helping out a premed from my undergrad about a year ago. He hadn't started studying for the MCAT and had typical (unwarranted) premed arrogance. I attempted to set him up with a sweet clinical job with a doctor I used to work with. His interactions and interview went so poorly the doctor texted me to say it wasn't going well, that he never responded to requests for a second interview, and he came across as a smart Alec (maybe using stronger language).

Long story short, he now works at a hospital where he complains that nurses talk down on him because he "knows as much as if not more than they do."

He also just got his score back, 500, and is proud of it because he "rocked the CARS section."

Reality is going to hit hard.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I don't know if this is funny or sad but....

My school has a policy that says you can't retake classes unless you fail them.
One premed student didn't get the memo that AMCAS had recently removed grade replacement.

The day before the final she deliberately asked the professor to FAIL her because she thought she was going to get a C in the class and if she failed she could grade replace it for something better.

I tried to tell her that they had changed the policy but she told me she trusted her doctor parents more than some random undergrad kid. Oh well.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

One premed student didn't get the memo that AMCAS had recently removed grade replacement.

The day before the final she deliberately asked the professor to FAIL her because she thought she was going to get a C in the class and if she failed she could grade replace it for something better.

I tried to tell her that they had changed the policy but she told me she trusted her doctor parents more than some random undergrad kid. Oh well.

I mean this was recently right? Not like 30 years ago before the internet? Like she could have just looked it up herself.

I mean this was recently right? Not like 30 years ago before the internet? Like she could have just looked it up herself.

30 years ago they still had grade replacement lol.
That's what I told her to do but she said that she still trusted her parents more than the internet.

• Sad
30 years ago they still had grade replacement lol.
That's what I told her to do but she said that she still trusted her parents more than the internet.

Less than informed premeds often have less than informed parents, it seems.

I recently spoke with one young woman whose parents are heavily pressuring her into going to the Caribbean because “there are no DO surgeons or dermatologists” and that is a direct quote. She is not allowed to consider other specialties because they don’t pay enough, apparently. I didn’t get the sense she even really wanted to be a doctor at all. I was a little sad for her.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

I recently spoke with one young woman whose parents are heavily pressuring her into going to the Caribbean because “there are no DO surgeons or dermatologists” and that is a direct quote. She is not allowed to consider other specialties because they don’t pay enough, apparently. I didn’t get the sense she even really wanted to be a doctor at all. I was a little sad for her.

Yeah that sucks. That’s when you have to take off the training wheels and tell your parents that it’s your life. But you have to be willing to accept the consequences of that, and not everyone is.

0e84f9zh35p31.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Currently in NP school.

I’m on here figuring out what I need to do to make myself a competitive medical school applicant - the only two med schools in my region (90 minute drive) are highly ranked. Applying broadly isn’t an option until my son graduates from high school thanks to joint custody.

In the mean time, I’ve stumbled across some gems with med student study tips - Pathoma and Sketchy are phenomenal study aids.

you’re currently in your first year of NP school and are still thinking about med school? and you can only consider two (90 minute drives) because of your minor aged son and shared custody?

Why are you doing this to yourself? why would you even consider med school (and the time/debt associated with it and residency)?

how old are you now? from your comment about marriage and divorce, it sounds like you’re in your 30s.

isn’t there a derm specialization for NPs? Seems like every medical profession now has specialization and/or fellowship options these days. if there is a derm specialization for NPs, why wouldn’t that work?

It just seems that the timeline isn’t in your favor....finishing NP school, doing whatever it takes to get into 1 of the only 2 med schools you can consider, 4 years of med school plus more years for residency/fellowship. if you have school debt already and/or are taking on more for NP school plus add’l debt for med school, it just doesn’t seem like a wise choice.

i certainly wish you the best, but can’t help but think you’re making this way too difficult for yourself.

Edit: I just checked. yes, there is a derm specialization for NPs. why not do that? seems like it would be the most efficient way.

What all can a NP with derm specialty do?

dermatology nurse practitioner specializes in treating all types of disease and medical issues that manifest on the surface of the skin. These conditions can vary from acne to skin cancer and everything in between.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

AMCAS didn’t “recently” remove grade replacement. AMCAS hasn’t allowed grade replacement for as long as I can remember - maybe allowed it a few decades ago. it was DO schools that more recently allowed grade replacement but had to stop in order to negotiate the “unified residency match” that is beginning in 2020.

“not allowed to consider other specialities.” lol
I’m trying to imagine a MS4 (who is what, at least 25 years old at that point) still thinking that they must apply only for derm or surgery because that’s what parents demand. She can play the parent game now (assuming she’s about 21 now), but once she’s independent and in med school, how can parents force anything. She won’t need them for financial support. She can borrow whatever she needs.
Her parents are fools if they think IMGs can more easily get into derm or surgical residencies.

• Love
Me to my lab partner in freshman chem lab:”how are you prepping for the midterm”
Lab partner:” I’m not, I heard medical schools like an upward trend“

Said lab partner is now in year 6 of a 4 year degree

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Why are you doing MCAT prep? You have a 511. If you don't get in, it's not because of your MCAT.
Oh I meant when I was doing MCAT prep and I know that Lawper stole that meme form the MCAT subreddit so I know that's tree for other MCAT prep students ATM.

Me to my lab partner in freshman chem lab:”how are you prepping for the midterm”
Lab partner:” I’m not, I heard medical schools like an upward trend“

Said lab partner is now in year 6 of a 4 year degree
Ouch...

Oh I meant when I was doing MCAT prep and I know that Lawper stole that meme form the MCAT subreddit so I know that's tree for other MCAT prep students ATM.

No I got it from the med school section, but the MCAT and other areas must've reposted it given its popularity.

Someone should start an interview version of this bc I have been unfortunate enough to overhear some absolute gems while waiting in admissions lobbies

• Wow
Someone should start an interview version of this bc I have been unfortunate enough to overhear some absolute gems while waiting in admissions lobbies
Why don't you start it, then? ;)

Reviving this thread because I was just reminded of a funny experience I had.

I used to see this guy all the time at my community college who would be "studying" his First Aid STEP 1 book. He had his book propped up on one of those stands that lets everyone in the room see the book's cover. Funny thing was, he seemed to be scrolling on his phone more than actually reading the book. And did I also mention that he probably wasn't a medical student because there are no med schools in my area??

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

I used to see this guy all the time at my community college who would be "studying" his First Aid STEP 1 book. He had his book propped up on one of those stands that lets everyone in the room see the book's cover. Funny thing was, he seemed to be scrolling on his phone more than actually reading the book. And did I also mention that he probably wasn't a medical student because there are no med schools in my area??
Probably an FMG.

Also why would there be a med student at a CC?

Meh, probably someone who went home during dedicated, as schools give their students 4-6 weeks off to study, and was a quiet place to study.

"Is this going to be on the test"
He said, the day before the first biochem test. Asking about the structure of the 20 Amino Acids.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users