"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Paramedic here - I once had a patient having chest pain, "it comes and goes, not a big deal".... Do the 12 lead, of course he's having a heart attack. "Sir, you're having a heart attack". Bring him to the hospital, cardiologist meets us in the ambulance bay, looks at the 12 lead, "Sir, you're having a heart attack". We go straight to the cath lab, the doctor is talking to him trying to get consent as we roll along, the whole time the guy is like "I don't think this is necessary, I'm fine, it's not a big deal". We lift him over onto the table and he goes, "just give me a minute here, I think I can fix this" :rolleyes::p

WHAT?!

"Stand back while I attempt to fix this MI!"

Bh1hqffCQAEmPFU.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Meh, at least they chose to do things that are still going to hopefully positively impact others. Most of the premed-quitters I know we're like, "Actually, consulting sounds great!" or... *quietly transfers to CS*

CS doesnt positively impact others?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to offer a different perspective: I am, in all likelihood, not going to get in. I don't like talking to people who have been accepted; not because I don't like them or because I don't want to be their friend anymore, but because I've found that much of the time the conversation inevitably turns to medical school and it is incredibly draining to hear about somebody's acceptances only to explain that I'm "still waiting." I'm not saying you do this, and I'm sure you're a great person, but I understand why someone who didn't get in would conceivably avoid conversation with somebody who did.

*reads comment, gets sad*
*looks at profile badge*
*"Medical Student (Accepted)*

Now I'm happy again :) Congrats brother, you made it!!!

Reactions: 5 users
*reads comment, gets sad*
*looks at profile badge*
*"Medical Student (Accepted)*

Now I'm happy again :) Congrats brother, you made it!!!
Thank you! It really came down to the wire. I already wrote my entire new application and was this close to spending an exorbitant amount of money sending it out. I'm just immensely thankful it worked out in the end.

Thank you! It really came down to the wire. I already wrote my entire new application and was this close to spending an exorbitant amount of money sending it out. I'm just immensely thankful it worked out in the end.
The past is the past and you're gonna be an MD (or DO!). Best of luck in the future :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The past is the past and you're gonna be an MD (or DO!). Best of luck in the future :)

I'm glad it happened this way. It was hard but it will make me more grateful for the position I'm in when the road gets particularly rough in medical school. Best of luck to you too, I'm sure you will be a doctor too!

Reactions: 1 user
One more story - a few months back. I was on call on surgery rotation. I thought I'd grab a drink ahead of time to prep for this 20 some hour shift. I'm there at starbucks before they closed and this premed comes up to me and says "you shouldn't drink so much coffee at night, it would keep you up"

I"m like "Yes. I know... that's the point"

He said "sleep is important you know"

I'm like "yes I know..."

"maybe you should order a hot cup of milk instead".

"Ok... thanks for the advice..." *Ignores and buys coffee anyways*

"I'm a pre-med - and I'm just trying to give you advice, you don't need to ignore me"

"Sorry pre med, I'm running late to my 20 some hour on call surgery shift. Bye".

You should have gotten the hot milk. That kid would have had such a justice boner and would have written his personal statement that night about how "when that intern/resident took my advice, I knew medicine was right for me"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You should have gotten the hot milk. That kid would have had such a justice boner and would have written his personal statement that night about how "when that intern/resident took my advice, I knew medicine was right for me"

Then applies to the Carib and only top 10

OMG YES. Get him with the long con.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man as much a I hate other pre-meds, it's so much fun to talk to the weird/misinformed ones

Most of them are actually ok, but there is always a pompous one who provides some great moments. "I'm going to be a dermatologist because I love the skin." Literally a quote from my bio lab. Or another favorite of mine, some freshmen that I over heard talking to their friend, "yeah I'm going to medical school, I'm going to be a spine surgeon." :eyebrow: Sounds like someone googled the highest paying field...

OMG YES. Get him with the long con.

Become his mentor and over the next 2-3 years just feed him lies about the profession:

"Most DO's have to get their diagnoses and prescriptions approved by an MD attending physician"

"The Caribbean is considered the Harvard of non-US schools"

"A 480 is a great MCAT score"

"Lie about why you want to be a doctor. Say rural medicine or something. Adcoms love that stuff"

"A 480 is a great MCAT score since the test is only out of 528"

"Lie about why you want to be a doctor. Say rural medicine or something you want the money and prestige. Adcoms love that stuff"

FTFY

Reactions: 2 users
Student I graduated HS with is now "publishing" articles for one of those lousy "I'm a college kid" sites. One of their latest is on the subject of wanting to become a doctor. Keep in mind, this person is a "public relations" major entering their third year, despite those SUPER impressive creds.

"Some angels have wings, others have stethoscopes. I, for one, would take a stethoscope over wings any day. High School diploma, check. Penn State Undergraduate degree, almost checked. An M.D.? White coat? Scrubs? Dr. [withheld] M.D. is in progress…

I knew I was not stupid in school, especially in science. I knew it when I got a 110 percent on my first physiology exam. It actually occurred to me that I was pretty good at science when I was accepted into Lebanon Valleys Pre-Med program with a Biology Scholarship, but even more when I was accepted into The Eberly College of Science on Penn State’s Main campus as a freshman."

And that's just the introduction.
Well that was easy to find on google.

Paramedic here - I once had a patient having chest pain, "it comes and goes, not a big deal".... Do the 12 lead, of course he's having a heart attack. "Sir, you're having a heart attack". Bring him to the hospital, cardiologist meets us in the ambulance bay, looks at the 12 lead, "Sir, you're having a heart attack". We go straight to the cath lab, the doctor is talking to him trying to get consent as we roll along, the whole time the guy is like "I don't think this is necessary, I'm fine, it's not a big deal". We lift him over onto the table and he goes, "just give me a minute here, I think I can fix this" :rolleyes::p

Reminds me of the following discussion I observed in the Emergency room a couple years ago:

Doctor: Hello Mr. X, you came here today because you are having chest pains?
Patient: Yeah! It feels like someone is stabbin' me right here! *points to his sternum*
Doctor: Okay, while the nurses start an EKG, I'm going to ask you some questions about your health history... Do you have a history of heart problems?
Patient: No! This is the first time this has happened!
Doctor: Okay... Wait... What is this 6-inch scar on your chest? And this big lump which looks like a pacemaker?
Patient: Oh, that's where I had my triple-bypass and pacemaker put in three years ago.
Doctor: *bashes head on wall*
Patient: But I don't have heart problems!

This might have been understandable if the patient was senile, or had alzheimers, but he was completely mentally normal.... aside from his absolute insistence that he had no heart problems.

But this post is not about uninformed pre-meds. Sorry for the diversion.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Reactions: 3 users
I was once speaking with a nursing major whom I hung out with for a very short while. This was our second conversation:

Her: So what specialty do you want to take one day?

Me: Im not really sure, given my background probably something surgical

Her: OOH, my ex boyfriend wanted Neurosurgery

Her: *goes on rant about how she lost the best guy of her life*

Me: sitting uncomfortably

Her: He was so smart, he even had a SURGERY SONG picked out. He would listen to it every day on the way to class. (it was the HOUSE TV SHOW intro)

Me: Thats interesting, I really like Mass Attack, they're a great band! How were his grades and MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking?

Her: Hmm whats Mass Attack? Oh no, he couldn't handle the stress of school and the MCAT, he is going into business. He was too smart for medicine anyways.

Me: .......

Her: By the way, I need your help. I only need a C- in chemistry to stay in the nursing major, so I don't have to study that much. Can you just do my online homework for me since you're in organic?

Me: ......... No.

Her: YOU PRE MEDS ARE ALL SO POMPOUS.

She stormed off and never spoke to me again. She must have been fun at parties :laugh:
Last I heard she was studying for her nursing boards and realizing that she knew nothing.

Reactions: 9 users
Be that as it may, it's not a joke to the people who are taking it and at that point is probably the most important test that they've taken in their life. Also, how exactly would one study without practice questions? That was like 70% of my studying.

Meh it's not a step qbank. I read the books and did one practice to see where my score was. I'm sure im not the only one to do so.

Meh it's not a step qbank. I read the books and did one practice to see where my score was. I'm sure im not the only one to do so.

I would posit that the number of people for whom this is not a terrible idea is very small. Stalking OP's post history, it looks like they scored a 28 on the MCAT. Maybe they should have done some practice problems.

Reactions: 4 users
I would posit that the number of people for whom this is not a terrible idea is very small. Stalking OP's post history, it looks like they scored a 28 on the MCAT. Maybe they should have done some practice problems.
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_6z6xp6yhl7gg404gkg44gg0w4_640.gif

Reactions: 15 users

Her: He was so smart, he even had a SURGERY SONG picked out. He would listen to it every day on the way to class. (it was the HOUSE TV SHOW intro)

This is horrific.

Jeeze, ignorant AND controlling....what a combo!

One more story - a few months back. I was on call on surgery rotation. I thought I'd grab a drink ahead of time to prep for this 20 some hour shift. I'm there at starbucks before they closed and this premed comes up to me and says "you shouldn't drink so much coffee at night, it would keep you up"

I"m like "Yes. I know... that's the point"

He said "sleep is important you know"

I'm like "yes I know..."

"maybe you should order a hot cup of milk instead".

"Ok... thanks for the advice..." *Ignores and buys coffee anyways*

"I'm a pre-med - and I'm just trying to give you advice, you don't need to ignore me"

"Sorry pre med, I'm running late to my 20 some hour on call surgery shift. Bye".

:laugh: Just wanted to clarify: my post wasn't addressing TBV, I was referring to the guy above who said "I feel sorry for you if you need to use practice problems". I don't doubt TBV did just fine on the MCAT, and I personally know someone who only took 1 practice test and then proceeded to score in the 99+ percentile. But generally, for the rest of us mere mortals, I don't think that's a great idea.

Reactions: 2 users
:laugh: Just wanted to clarify: my post wasn't addressing TBV, I was referring to the guy above who said "I feel sorry for you if you need to use practice problems". I don't doubt TBV did just fine on the MCAT, and I personally know someone who only took 1 practice test and then proceeded to score in the 99+ percentile. But generally, for the rest of us mere mortals, I don't think that's a great idea.

I mean, I'll take any excuse to use these gif. So, thank you, regardless! :)

One of my favorite gems of the internet!

I'd love to know where this gif originally came from if anyone would humor me.

I've used YouTube like twice in my life so I'm not familiar with the source of 99.9% of the popular gifs

I'd love to know where this gif originally came from if anyone would humor me.

I've used YouTube like twice in my life so I'm not familiar with the source of 99.9% of the popular gifs

Supa hot fire on YouTube.

We should probs get back on topic before the thread gets nuked from orbit

We should probs get back on topic before the thread gets nuked from orbit

Uhhhh, a premed I knew like 3 yrs ago once asked if he could study for the VR section of the MCAT with SAT manuals. Lol so funny

Uhhhh, a premed I knew like 3 yrs ago once asked if he could study for the VR section of the MCAT with SAT manuals. Lol so funny
Crisis averted, we can go back to posting

Her: He was so smart, he even had a SURGERY SONG picked out. He would listen to it every day on the way to class. (it was the HOUSE TV SHOW intro).

It's like I facepalmed, into another facepalm, into another facepalm, over and over again in a never ending loop like a repeating broken record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's another one:

A pre-med in our department was a less than competitive applicant (low gpa, decent mcat, no research, etc...)
I always thought he was a weird kid, but a nice guy in general.

>Kid gets a couple interviews at lower-tier MD programs (didn't apply DO, thought it was beneath him)

>Kid goes to his interviews.

>Here is where he makes his first big mistake. He does not prepare for his interviews. At all. Nothing. Completely winging it. (kid has guts)

>Kid is asked his opinion on an ethical issue (genetically related, human rights. Sorry I can't be more specific I don't want to give it away.)

>Kid goes on RANT about how individual people's rights mean nothing in comparison to the greater good. ADCOM is in shock.

>Kid basically advocates for forcibly taking genetic material from patients if their DNA is beneficial to medical science.

>Kid thinks he did nothing wrong, "**** the medical system man, people don't know what's good for them"

> (shockingly) Kid is flat out rejected

> Kid now works in my laboratory, re-applying after he RE-TAKES his competitive MCAT next cycle without studying because "I'm gonna ace it and get in, **** them bro. I already took it once I know it now."

I've never facepalmed so many times so hard in my entire life.

Here's another one:

A pre-med in our department was a less than competitive applicant (low gpa, decent mcat, no research, etc...)

>Kid gets a couple interviews at lower-tier MD programs (didn't apply DO, thought it was beneath him)

>Here is where he makes his first big mistake. He does not prepare for his interviews. At all. Nothing. Completely winging it. (kid has guts)

>Kid is asked his opinion on an ethical issue (genetically related, human rights. Sorry I can't be more specific I don't want to give it away.)

>Kid goes on RANT about how individual people's rights mean nothing in comparison to the greater good. ADCOM is in shock.

>Kid basically advocates for forcibly taking genetic material from patients if their DNA is beneficial to medical science.

>Kid thinks he did nothing wrong, "**** the medical system man, people don't know what's good for them"

> Kid now works in my laboratory, re-applying after he RE-TAKES his competitive MCAT next cycle without studying because "I'm gonna ace it and get in, **** them bro. I already took it once I know it now."

:wtf: This kid could probably benefit from taking a bioethics course :smack:

I was once speaking with a nursing major whom I hung out with for a very short while. This was our second conversation:

Her: So what specialty do you want to take one day?

Me: Im not really sure, given my background probably something surgical

Her: OOH, my ex boyfriend wanted Neurosurgery

Her: *goes on rant about how she lost the best guy of her life*

Me: Thats interesting, I really like Mass Attack, they're a great band! How were his grades and MCAT scores if you don't mind me asking?

Her: Hmm whats Mass Attack? Oh no, he couldn't handle the stress of school and the MCAT, he is going into business. He was too smart for medicine anyways.

Me: .......

Her: By the way, I need your help. I only need a C- in chemistry to stay in the nursing major, so I don't have to study that much. Can you just do my online homework for me since you're in organic?

Me: ......... No.

Her: YOU PRE MEDS ARE ALL SO POMPOUS.

She stormed off and never spoke to me again. She must have been fun at parties :laugh:
Last I heard she was studying for her nursing boards and realizing that she knew nothing.

I second her question: who is Mass Attack? As far as I know that's not a band.

I second her question: who is Mass Attack? As far as I know that's not a band.
Massive Attack, they wrote and preformed the song "Teardrop" which was used as the house theme song.

Massive Attack, they wrote and preformed the song "Teardrop" which was used as the house theme song.

I know who Massive Attack are. I was just pointing out the humor in him mocking the other person while not knowing who he was talking about.

I know who Massive Attack are. I was just pointing out the humor in him mocking the other person while not knowing who he was talking about.
I know who I was talking about. I just shortened the name of the band out of laziness.....

Here's another one:

I mean....... HeLa.......

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 10 users