"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A friend of mine is interested in research but I knew she was also sort of pre-med. I mentioned MD/PhD programs and then after I explained the MD/PhD timeline she told me she had thought you needed an MS and an MD before getting a PhD.

At least we're still freshmen and she has a couple years to work this out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
A friend of mine is interested in research but I knew she was also sort of pre-med. I mentioned MD/PhD programs and then after I explained the MD/PhD timeline she told me she had thought you needed an MS and an MD before getting a PhD.

At least we're still freshmen and she has a couple years to work this out.
At least she overestimated the timeline?

Reactions: 5 users
Lying about interviews.

A pre-med friend of mine saw that I was studying for the MCAT and messaged me asking how it was going. I told him it was fine and asked how his life/school is going. Supposedly he's applied to med school. I've never seen or heard him talk about the MCAT let alone him applying - he snapchats his whole life. I was like wow that's great! So happy for you and good luck. And he's like yeah I just got invited for an interview at Cornell for December and it's just a formality, I'm pretty much in. This was in July (do they even release invites that early!?). Again I told him I was happy for him and good luck. December comes around and I don't hear about his NY trip, med school, nada. And literally he snapchats all day what he's doing. The petty side of me wants to message and ask him how his interview went but I'm just going to let it go lol.

It's just weird cause I felt like the only reason he said that crap was because he saw me studying for the MCAT. Why go that far to lie to someone?! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lying about interviews.

The petty side of me wants to message and ask him how his interview went but I'm just going to let it go lol.

DO IT!

I had a high school senior tell me that he was planning on going to medical school and he has read a lot about how to get in and had it all figured out. I'm supposed to call him if I have any questions..... This was after I had taken the MCAT and submitted all my primaries. I wanted to take his lunch money and give him a wedgie.

Reactions: 17 users
DO IT!

I had a high school senior tell me that he was planning on going to medical school and he has read a lot about how to get in and had it all figured out. I'm supposed to call him if I have any questions..... This was after I had taken the MCAT and submitted all my primaries. I wanted to take his lunch money and give him a wedgie.
Similarly, I had a college-acquaintance who told me to call him to set up tutoring sessions if I wanted to score over a 30. He had never even taken a pre-req. He is currently in nursing school.

A conversation full of cringes that I had with a fellow pre-med as I was tutoring him on Orgo material.

Him: I don't get why I have to understand mechanisms. I just want to memorize the reactions and move on to other classes.

Me: Well, maybe understanding some of these mechanisms will lay the foundation for you to understand a medication that you prescribe someday, and you will be able to provide the best possible care because of it.

Him: No, I will just move through symptom checklists and prescribe whichever medicine is at the end.

Me: Um, but what if your failure to understand what you are prescribing harms someone?

Him: Well, I will have malpractice insurance.

Me: ...why not go in to a field where apathy for your job doesn't have the potential to kill people?

Him: (defensive now) how else am I supposed to make money?

This went on for a bit before I told him that I was no longer comfortable helping him reach his academic goals for that day, and that I needed space. He went to another tutor in the room and never came back to me. Timing-wise he is probably gearing up to apply this coming cycle, but I have faith in the adcoms that they will see through that mentality. :wideyed:

Reactions: 6 users
My school was having a preview day, and I was asked to help out/field questions during the Pre-Health presentation the Pre-Health advisors give to interested students.

In the middle of the presentation this girl gets out of her seat in the front row, walks up to me and says "hey.. so... um.. I'm actually interested in trauma surgery or general surgery. Where do I go to find out about that?"

Sounds like the typical conversation with high school pre-med prospects:

Person A: "So what do you want to do?"
HS student: "Oh, I'm going to be a pediatric neurogastro oncology trauma surgeon! I'm 100% sure!"
Person A: "yea, okay..."

A conversation full of cringes that I had with a fellow pre-med as I was tutoring him on Orgo material.

Him: I don't get why I have to understand mechanisms. I just want to memorize the reactions and move on to other classes.

Me: Well, maybe understanding some of these mechanisms will lay the foundation for you to understand a medication that you prescribe someday, and you will be able to provide the best possible care because of it.

Him: No, I will just move through symptom checklists and prescribe whichever medicine is at the end.

Me: Um, but what if your failure to understand what you are prescribing harms someone?

Me: ...why not go in to a field where apathy for your job doesn't have the potential to kill people?

This went on for a bit before I told him that I was no longer comfortable helping him reach his academic goals for that day, and that I needed space. He went to another tutor in the room and never came back to me. Timing-wise he is probably gearing up to apply this coming cycle, but I have faith in the adcoms that they will see through that mentality. :wideyed:

To be fair, I know very few med students or physicians that actually know any mechanisms of drugs at the level that orgo wants people to know. In med school, "mechanism" typically means "what receptor does this drug hit?" or "what kind of general substance does it bind?", not a step by step understanding as to how the interacts with every other molecule. Honestly, there's far too much info in med school to learn to try and learn anything as in depth as orgo expects you to.

Reactions: 3 users

I think you were taking him too literally. I've said similar things when I was peeved and I didn't want to work anymore. I was never serious, but it was nice being an dingus.

The Duke thing is so specific that it sounds like that guys daddy has his name on a building down there...

Moms are just like that. My own mom kept telling the relatives that I was going to grad school to study "Nuclear Medicine", which had absolutely ZERO to do with my actual field of study.

And as soon as you matriculate, your mom will be calling with questions like "Uncle Joe has cancer! What do you know about it????"
My family is pretty belligerent, so they've been asking me to tell the doctor how to treat their cancer.... :nailbiting:

Sounds like the typical conversation with high school pre-med prospects:

Person A: "So what do you want to do?"
HS student: "Oh, I'm going to be a pediatric neurogastro oncology trauma surgeon! I'm 100% sure!"
You never know when some kid's GI innervations are gonna explode from cancer.

Reactions: 12 users
One that I've heard recently:
(from a chick with a huge chip on her shoulder)

Her- "Oh Hey you're applying to medical school this cycle right RogueBanana?"

Me- "Yeah! Its going okay, I have a couple interviews..."

Her-" Oh good, I have 2! What do you want to specialize in?"

Me- " Oh I don't know, I suppose I'll fall in love with a specialty during rotations and I'll know for sure then! Right now I'm interested in Radiology and Primary Care, but it changes every week...."

Her- "That's nice, radiology is cool! Why would you want to be bottom of the barrel with primary care though? I'm going to be surgeon!"

Me- "I think primary is one of the most important specialties, just because it isn't hyper-competitive doesn't mean it's bottom of the barrel. You're gonna need good scores to be a surgeon, better study hard!"

Her- "I'm not worried, med school is gonna be easy. Primary care is so boring! I want to cut! I'm gonna be just like Dr.Grey"

Me- "You know as a surgical resident you'll be holding someone's leg in place for about 5 hours while the real surgeons operate right? It's not all glamorous like on TV."

Her- "Why are you being so condescending? I didn't judge you for your choices!"

Me *in my head* "yeah you kinda did......"

Me: "Right, sorry, well I gotta get to the Lab, good luck this cycle!"

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One that I've heard recently:
(from a chick with a huge chip on her shoulder)

Her- "Oh Hey you're applying to medical school this cycle right RogueBanana?"

Me- "Yeah! Its going okay, I have a couple interviews..."

Her-" Oh good, I have 2! What do you want to specialize in?"

Me- " Oh I don't know, I suppose I'll fall in love with a specialty during rotations and I'll know for sure then! Right now I'm interested in Radiology and Primary Care, but it changes every week...."

Her- "That's nice, radiology is cool! Why would you want to be bottom of the barrel with primary care though? I'm going to be surgeon!"

Me- "I think primary is one of the most important specialties, just because it isn't hyper-competitive doesn't mean it's bottom of the barrel. You're gonna need good scores to be a surgeon, better study hard!"

Her- "I'm not worried, med school is gonna be easy. Primary care is so boring! I want to cut! I'm gonna be just like Dr.Grey"

Me- "You know as a surgical resident you'll be holding someone's leg in place for about 5 hours while the real surgeons operate right? It's not all glamorous like on TV."

Her- "Why are you being so condescending? I didn't judge you for your choices!"

Me *in my head* "yeah you kinda did......"

Me: "Right, sorry, well I gotta get to the Lab, good luck this cycle!"
Lol. She sounds obnoxious. To be fair though, I work in a NSG department as a research coordinator and so get to spend a lot of time in the OR. It really is pretty independent operating for the residents. Depends on where you are though. This is an academic institution so I suspect that's why the residents have so much independence.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol. She sounds obnoxious. To be fair though, I work in a NSG department as a research coordinator and so get to spend a lot of time in the OR. It really is pretty independent operating for the residents. Depends on where you are though. This is an academic institution so I suspect that's why the residents have so much independence.
I was more put off by her disdain for anything that wasn't glamourous "greys anatomy" TV surgery BS.
Seemed like she just wanted to cultivate her own image as opposed to actually caring about patients.

In the middle of the presentation this girl gets out of her seat in the front row, walks up to me and says "hey.. so... um.. I'm actually interested in trauma surgery or general surgery. Where do I go to find out about that?"

"Hey uh, I'm a big fan of the excellent Television Show Grey's Anatomy and my favorite characters are Dr. Hunt and Dr. Bailey. Where do I go for the casting call?"

In high school, after visiting one medical school campus for a class I was in:

"I've decided what my passion is....I am going to be a pediatric neurosurgeon!"

....that person was me. Cringing still and hoping nobody remembered because we were like 16

Reactions: 7 users

....that person was me. Cringing still and hoping nobody remembered because we were like 16
I'm just hoping nobody finds my old Myspace...

"Hey uh, I'm a big fan of the excellent Television Show Grey's Anatomy and my favorite characters are Dr. Hunt and Dr. Bailey. Where do I go for the casting call?"

Is Dr. Hunt anyone's favorite character?

:rofl:

Knew a guy who applied with a 25th percentile in one section of the MCAT saying "Well the other sections are fine so it'll be okay". 0 MD or DO IIs.

Knew a guy who applied with a 25th percentile in one section of the MCAT saying "Well the other sections are fine so it'll be okay". 0 MD or DO IIs.
Some people do apply with terrible MCAT scores and get in...especially at DO schools? I don't think that's that weird.

Some people do apply with terrible MCAT scores and get in...especially at DO schools? I don't think that's that weird.
Bottom 25th percentile would trigger a lot of auto rejects by screening out I would imagine.

Pre med in the grade below me bragging about how he didn't have to do all the shadowing or take organic because he was going to only apply to DO school and they are a lot easier to get into...
Same guy failed multiple sophomore level sci classes, and got a 2% on an organic 1 test before he dropped the class.

Like, ok man, whatever you say.

Last I checked he transferred to a communications degree.

Bottom 25th percentile would trigger a lot of auto rejects by screening out I would imagine.
I don't think so, screening out is more of an SDN myth. Adcoms on here have said that if you're at the 10th percentile it's reasonable to apply. I think @Goro can back me up on this?

Pre med in the grade below me bragging about how he didn't have to do all the shadowing or take organic because he was going to only apply to DO school and they are a lot easier to get into...
Same guy failed multiple sophomore level sci classes, and got a 2% on an organic 1 test before he dropped the class.

Like, ok man, whatever you say.

Last I checked he transferred to a communications degree.
If he dropped he should have just taken again, retaking and doing some clinical experience can make him a good candidate for DO.

While medical schools do have hard floors for, say, GPA, human beings do read every application. The wise @gyngyn has written about reviewing an app from someone with an MCAT score of a single digit. No, not in each category...the entire exam! She had a neurologic deficit.

I don't think so, screening out is more of an SDN myth. Adcoms on here have said that if you're at the 10th percentile it's reasonable to apply. I think @Goro can back me up on this?

What? 10th percentile? That would like getting a 3 on a section. So your score looks like 10/10/3. That's insanely low. Or are you talking about bottom 10% compared to what a school accepts? I am talking about the raw MCAT percentile.

While medical schools do have hard floors for, say, GPA, human beings do read every application. The wise @gyngyn has written about reviewing an app from someone with an MCAT score of a single digit. No, not in each category...the entire exam! She had a neurologic deficit.
I think she had an acquired deficit.
I did see an applicant today with a 1 in verbal, though...

Reactions: 16 users
What? 10th percentile? That would like getting a 3 on a section. So your score looks like 10/10/3. That's insanely low. Or are you talking about bottom 10% compared to what a school accepts? I am talking about the raw MCAT percentile.
I mean 10th percentile of what the school accepts :laugh:

If he dropped he should have just taken again, retaking and doing some clinical experience can make him a good candidate for DO.

I think you missed the point.
He failed multiple attempts at sophomore level science classes and this 2% on that test was the best he could do. He had 0 chance of succeeding in any further sci classes because 1.we need a c or better to "move on" to next classes. 2. He couldn't even pick up the basic classes.

AND he wouldn't have had clinical experience because he felt that since he was a DO applicant he didn't need any.

I don't think they meant at the 10th/25th percentile for matriculants, which is what the 10th percentile refers to when quoted by adcoms on here. They meant the 25th percentile of ALL test takers - which ends up being something ridiculously low. The average matriculant MCAT is at like the 82nd percentile, so 10th percentile matriculant is below that but still WELL above the 25th percentile for all test takers.

edit: oops i think this was already clarified didn't mean to rub it in haha

Reactions: 1 users
Not really from a pre-med, but I had a guy (liberal arts major with no real idea what he wants to do with it) lecture me on anatomy based on some 90's sci-fi movie he saw. I'm not super surprised, though. I've known this guy for a while, and a couple years back, he told me that he thought about taking chemistry as an elective because he thought that if you took a chemistry lab class, the professor would let you do whatever you wanted, and he really wanted to try some alchemy experiments.

I also know another kid who scored a mid 490s on the MCAT and thought he was going to duke. He had an interview at Duke this cycle and is waiting to hear back so I guess the joke was on me...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Future chair of neurosurgery at Duke.

The joke is on everyone.

Maybe he told you that he had an interview at Duke, but that doesn't mean he had an interview at Duke.

TL;DR: people lie.

Either that, or he's got a nice donation check in his hand.

Yeah they do but Duke will interview people with low stats if they have an EC they like, probably to just check if they are actually a stud hiding behind the numbers. One of my old research mates interviewed there with a 505 MCAT and a 3.1 cGPA and sGPA below that... had some interesting ECs though. Politely rejected. The fact his 1 interview was to Duke blew my mind.

I think you're misunderstanding. 10th percentile in terms of msar accepted range. Not the 25th percentile of the MCAT. The latter means the person scored less than 75% of those who took the MCAT while the former means 10%of acceptees to any given medical school had a lower score than a given MCAT score.

Don't know if I explained that well, but basically, people don't get accepted with a sub score in the 25th percentile.

I think you're misunderstanding. 10th percentile in terms of msar accepted range. Not the 25th percentile of the MCAT. The latter means the person scored less than 75% of those who took the MCAT while the former means 10%of acceptees to any given medical school had a lower score than a given MCAT score.

Don't know if I explained that well, but basically, people don't get accepted with a sub score in the 25th percentile.
OOoohhh , you meant scores 25th/100 against everyone who TOOK the MCAT. I see. :nod:

People say that about a lot of professions. I've heard "I thought about joining the military, but I don't want to waste my intellect" or some variation of that multiple times. My wife has also had multiple people compare my being on deployment or underway with their spouses being on a short business trip.
I was going to go be a Navy Seal or a Green Beret. I had Tommy Johns surgery on both my knees though and didn't enlist. Went and got my bachelors in general studies at the University of Phoenix instead.

I got in with one really crappy section...not 25th percentile crappy but pretty bad. the rest was much higher but still.

Im pretty sure a couple of my peers next year will have gotten in with one 25th percentile section (DO).

I can't bring myself to read through this thread any longer... It's pure torture. I don't understand how people like the ones in your stories can even remember to breathe.

Yup, 25th percentile for the old MCAT was a 6 for verbal and PS, and a 7 in BS. I applied to several schools that auto-rejected anyone scoring below a 7 or 8 in an individual section but I also know more than one person who got an MD acceptance with a single section of 7 or lower. 25th percentile overall was a 21, and while it's not common there are definitely students that get accepted to both MD and DO schools with scores in the low 20's or even the teens.

Yup, 25th percentile for the old MCAT was a 6 for verbal and PS, and a 7 in BS. I applied to several schools that auto-rejected anyone scoring below a 7 or 8 in an individual section but I also know more than one person who got an MD acceptance with a single section of 7 or lower. 25th percentile overall was a 21, and while it's not common there are definitely students that get accepted to both MD and DO schools with scores in the low 20's or even the teens.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/factstablea24.html

MCAT SCORE:
21-23 is 6% acceptance rate.

18-20 is 2% acceptance rate.

I'd say those people probably have special circumstances or really unique and important ECs. This guy was not one of those people.

One funny thing I've heard from a pre-med is pronouncing the MCAT as M-C-A-T

Not really from a pre-med, but I had a guy (liberal arts major with no real idea what he wants to do with it) lecture me on anatomy based on some 90's sci-fi movie he saw. I'm not super surprised, though. I've known this guy for a while, and a couple years back, he told me that he thought about taking chemistry as an elective because he thought that if you took a chemistry lab class, the professor would let you do whatever you wanted, and he really wanted to try some alchemy experiments.
:rofl: