"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that you just described about 50% of med school applicants. We're talking about people who have no business being on a med school campus except as standardized patients.
Well then, knowing that this about half of med school applicants, I feel better seeing those " 3 percent acceptance rates" .

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Talking to a high schooler that I used to work with, around the beginning of the summer before her senior year.

Me: "So, where are you thinking about applying to college?"
Her: "Oh, I don't want to go to college, I want to go to medical school."
Me: "Oh, that's an great goal, but like...you have to go to college before you can do that."
Her: *stares at me blankly in confusion*

Reactions: 7 users
Talking to a high schooler that I used to work with, around the beginning of the summer before her senior year.

Me: "So, where are you thinking about applying to college?"
Her: "Oh, I don't want to go to college, I want to go to medical school."
Me: "Oh, that's an great goal, but like...you have to go to college before you can do that."
Her: *stares at me blankly in confusion*

Reminds me of this high school senior who recently told me that she's going to double major in an art and biology because she really loves art but wants to go to medical school. I told her that her major wouldn't matter as long as she did the med school prerequisites. She asked me, "What are prerequisites?" (She'll figure it out, I think. Hopefully sooner rather than later.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are a crap ton that I read just recently today:

W's are for when you may get a C or lower, and only really worth it for a BCPM class.
Especially if its a med school pre req- if you get below a C, you'd need to retake anyway- but who the hell retakes English b/c they might get a B?!?!
Gonnif would be gagging at this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That sentiment is disgustingly prevalent. Yeah, a slightly lower score can be allowed for somebody who is URM, but really only if the GPA/ EC's are up to par.

They do, but not to the extent that a URM should just " not study for the MCAT"

LOL but if someone didn't study for the MCAT, they could get like, a 501, which is lethal anyway. ( The person the original commenter was talking about, not you)
Whoever thinks URM's don't need to try needs to pull their head out of....nvm.

I think we've reached a violent agreement.

I was at a dinner party, at somebody's house Saturday night.
This lady there has a daughter who went to community college and then transferred to the state school I'm at.
That girl claims she wants to go to PA school, then get married, and "finish up" at med school ( the mom may have been saying it wrong, but if she isn't).
I mean...does anybody know PA school=/= Med School

With a steep UW trend and amazing MCAT, she'd be okay for state/ lower tier.
But besides that....a 3.0 is '"lethal for MD, circling the drain for DO"

That's funny b/c I was just thinking of my last orgo test.
And thinking how I thought I aced the last one and got a B-.
And how the first one, I had all these doubts about mistakes I could have made, and actually did pretty well on it.
I feel the same about the 3rd one- there are mistakes I can pick out but for the most part it seems like I killed it. I'm hoping I did ( and the smol mistakes I made didn't cost much).
I was *just* discussing this at the tutoring center today, and that graph was just
*kapow*

Well then, knowing that this about half of med school applicants, I feel better seeing those " 3 percent acceptance rates" .

1581.gif

Reactions: 23 users
Yeah. But there is a definite difference. If you look at @Lawper's post on MCAT/GPA data, URMs in general definitely get a boost.

Not saying that's good or bad (tend to lean on the "good" side in most situations). It just is.

I think you missed the point on that original post lol. Basically, what was being said was that being a URM isnt an excuse to just wing it, not study for the MCAT and allow being a URM be the basis for your acceptance into med school and allowing that to be a reason to not really work as hard.

Reactions: 3 users
Reminds me of this high school senior who recently told me that she's going to double major in an art and biology because she really loves art but wants to go to medical school. I told her that her major wouldn't matter as long as she did the med school prerequisites. She asked me, "What are prerequisites?" (She'll figure it out, I think. Hopefully sooner rather than later.)
That's not even that bad... Who cared about prerequisites in highschool? I cared about football and doing 16 year old things.

Reactions: 2 users
That's not even that bad... Who cared about prerequisites in highschool? I cared about football and doing 16 year old things.
I was also thinking this, if we were talking about a sophomore in college it would've been appropriate. But a kid who isn't even in college yet, hasn't even picked a major or met with a Med advisor has no business knowing the pre requisites for Med school..

Reactions: 1 users
Me: "I'm going off to med school next year"
Random person: "You don't look that young to me".
Me (~4 years above average matriculant age):
tumblr_m4ttcuMi511r0ycx6.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 33 users
I was also thinking this, if we were talking about a sophomore in college it would've been appropriate. But a kid who isn't even in college yet, hasn't even picked a major or met with a Med advisor has no business knowing the pre requisites for Med school..
Is your avatar an MRI of all the images of a banana made into a gif?

I am a savage

Honestly I was waiting for somebody to do it. Sapphire's posts frequently reek of try-hard premed, constantly quoting adcoms, neurotic humblebragging about grades, parroting advice she doesn't understand when she hasn't even taken the MCAT...

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_8618.JPG
Honestly I was waiting for somebody to do it. Sapphire's posts frequently reek of try-hard premed, constantly quoting adcoms, neurotic humblebragging about grades, parroting advice she doesn't understand when she hasn't even taken the MCAT...

Reactions: 17 users
Just today--
Dude: "The last three tests I didn't study for and I got a C on them, so I don't need to study for the final."
Me: *raises eyebrows* "It's your funeral, man"
Dude: "As long as you get a C or above, it's no big deal."
Me: *eyebrows disappear into hairline* "Are you sure though, because...nevermind."

Reactions: 9 users
I think you missed the point on that original post lol. Basically, what was being said was that being a URM isnt an excuse to just wing it, not study for the MCAT and allow being a URM be the basis for your acceptance into med school and allowing that to be a reason to not really work as hard.

Yes. I got that. Let's stay on topic.

Reactions: 1 user
By a nursing student:

Her: Ugh I hate studying for clinical evaluations, medsurg is gonna be the death of me.

Me: maybe if you didn't wait until midnight the night before to do them all you'd do better?

Her: ew haha that's funny. I'm not nerd banana. Plus, being a nursing major is so much work! Barely have time to go out on the weekends never mind do stupid clinical evals.

God I hope she never touches a patient.....

Reactions: 6 users
Maybe

*edit* yes
I hope it is. It looks like it bends up on the rig
By a nursing student:

Her: Ugh I hate studying for clinical evaluations, medsurg is gonna be the death of me.

Me: maybe if you didn't wait until midnight the night before to do them all you'd do better?

Her: ew haha that's funny. I'm not nerd banana. Plus, being a nursing major is so much work! Barely have time to go out on the weekends never mind do stupid clinical evals.

Seems shortsighted banana. If you would've said that to me I would've told you to go out back and float a brick.

I also lol'ed at reading "I'm not a nerd banana" as if she said she wasnt a banana lol

I hope it is. It looks like it bends up on the rig

Seems shortsighted banana. If you would've said that to me I would've told you to go out back and float a brick.
I doubt you'd be irresponsible enough to put off 8 weeks of assignments until literally the last day and then complain about it

giphy (2).gif

By a nursing student:

Yeah..god banana, how dare you patronize her. Don't you realize the rigors of nursing school is something the mind of a feeble med student could never comprehend?

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah..god banana, how dare you patronize her. Don't you realize the rigors of nursing school is something the mind of a feeble med student could never comprehend?
Forgive me lord NP, I know not what I do!

Not premeds, but I tutor an anatomy class that nursing majors have to take, and I have had a few wonder why they had to take it.

Not premeds, but I tutor an anatomy class that nursing majors have to take, and I have had a few wonder why they had to take it.
How often do nurses use anatomy

Would you have known what the prerequisites are as a highschool senior?

Bragging about grades? My frist posts on here were about failing organic the first time I took it?
Isn't this whole website filled with try hard pre meds?

Reactions: 4 users
By a nursing student:

I had a similar experience but in a more positive way. After telling a person what I did to study for the MCAT they said "Oh that's way too much work. Yeah I would never want to do that". They're not pre-anything, just somebody who wants to work less and party more and isn't blind about their options.

I had this conversation with the same girl three separate times (which I probably should have put in the original post). Even if I didn't the first time, I would have by the third.

No one knew them. Correction-- no one should know them.

I think it's silly that our culture has convinced kids to think they need to be preparing for possible graduate studies....in high school.

Do high school stuff. There will be plenty of time later.

Edit, knowing my audience I feel like I should add that it's fine if you were a high achiever and you planned your life out in middle school. I'm not knocking anyone's life choices.

I think it's silly that our culture has convinced kids to think they need to be preparing for possible graduate studies....in high school.

Edit, knowing my audience I feel like I should add that it's fine if you were a high achiever and you planned your life out in middle school. I'm not knocking anyone's life choices.

I will then. You should've enjoyed those years cuz when you're 70 in your rocking chair you're gonna look back and realize you never had a childhood and instead were so anal about achieving world success and prestige you never kissed a girl and now you're in diapers again.

There's a bit of a difference between knowing the specific prerequisites for medical school and knowing what prerequisites are in general. You probably should know what the word "prerequisite" means just before starting college, and you should definitely know what a prerequisite is after you've had it explained to you a couple of times (as I later clarified had happened).

There's a bit of a difference between knowing the specific prerequisites for medical school and knowing what prerequisites are in general. You probably should know what the word "prerequisite" means just before starting college, and you should definitely know what a prerequisite is after you've had it explained to you a couple of times (as I later clarified had happened).

You're just mopping up your mess now that it's turned on you. Fess up citizen #3 or I will get citizen #1.

Jk.

But what I just quoted is still debatable.

I will then. You should've enjoyed those years cuz when you're 70 in your rocking chair you're gonna look back and realize you never had a childhood and instead were so anal about achieving world success and prestige you never kissed a girl and now you're in diapers again.
Lol knowing what prerequisites are when you're 17 or 18 years old doesn't mean you didn't have a childhood..

andddd back on topic...

Some random guy approached me after class:

Classmate: "Hey, so you're trying to go to med school, right?"
Me: "Yup, hopefully."
Classmate: "Gotcha.. and you're into neuroscience and stuff, right?"
Me: "Yeah, why? Are you thinking about doing neuroscience research?"
Classmate: "Well, I want to become a psychiatrist, but I'm a junior, so I know I'm a bit late in the game."
Me: "I mean, that's fine a lot of people realize they want become a doctor as upperclassmen, what have you done so far?"
Classmate: "Only Bio, and nothing else.. but I'm really passionate about being a psychiatrist cause I'm a psychology major.."
Me: "Oh, me too.. well, you can probably apply and do a post-bacc.. (thinking about where he stands in the general timeline, but realizing somethings off).. but you might want to explore medicine a bit more. Are you sure you're ready to take this path?"
(I could see that this guy had no idea why he wanted to be a psychiatrist.. the following shed some light..)
Classmate: "Well, you make like over $200,000 a year and it's psychology mixed with medicine. I like those things, so why not, right?"
Me: ....... "I don't want to sound mean when I ask this.. but do you know how long it takes to become a psychiatrist?"
Classmate: "Yeah, just the 4 years of medical school, right?"
Me: (mind the fact that I was on 3 hours of sleep, but normally very willing to help fellow students with advice, this irked me a bit cause he clearly decided to come to me before doing any research of his own..) "No, its 4 years of medical school, followed by 4 years of residency, at a minimum. If you want to specialize and do a fellowship, that's another year or two, depending on what you want to do. Plus, some people take time off to do research. Also, you still need to do your pre-reqs and take the MCAT. So you're looking at 9-12 years of work to become a psychiatrist from now.. so again.. are you sure you're ready for that commitment?"
Classmate: (I kind of felt bad cause I had the same look on my face in sophomore year come over me as the information sunk in...) "Oh, that.. that changes things.. I got to think about that then.."

Haven't heard from the guy since.. I might have been a bit of an asshat.. but 4 years to be a psychiatrist after college.. someone had to tell the poor kid before he messed up his last year of undergrad

Reactions: 11 users
I think that you just described about 50% of med school applicants. We're talking about people who have no business being on a med school campus except as standardized patients.
This may be slightly off topic, but if you had to estimate the percentage of well qualified applicants (good GPA, MCAT, ECs) who do not get accepted per year, what number would you say? Because like you said, the numbers are inflated due to tons of applicants who have no clue what they're getting into or what is needed to get in. Your comment just kinda piqued my interest.

andddd back on topic...

Some random guy approached me after class:

Classmate: "Hey, so you're trying to go to med school, right?"
Me: "Yup, hopefully."
Classmate: "Gotcha.. and you're into neuroscience and stuff, right?"
Me: "Yeah, why? Are you thinking about doing neuroscience research?"
Classmate: "Well, I want to become a psychiatrist, but I'm a junior, so I know I'm a bit late in the game."
Me: "I mean, that's fine a lot of people realize they want become a doctor as upperclassmen, what have you done so far?"
Classmate: "Only Bio, and nothing else.. but I'm really passionate about being a psychiatrist cause I'm a psychology major.."
Me: "Oh, me too.. well, you can probably apply and do a post-bacc.. (thinking about where he stands in the general timeline, but realizing somethings off).. but you might want to explore medicine a bit more. Are you sure you're ready to take this path?"
(I could see that this guy had no idea why he wanted to be a psychiatrist.. the following shed some light..)
Classmate: "Well, you make like over $200,000 a year and it's psychology mixed with medicine. I like those things, so why not, right?"
Me: ....... "I don't want to sound mean when I ask this.. but do you know how long it takes to become a psychiatrist?"
Classmate: "Yeah, just the 4 years of medical school, right?"
Me: (mind the fact that I was on 3 hours of sleep, but normally very willing to help fellow students with advice, this irked me a bit cause he clearly decided to come to me before doing any research of his own..) "No, its 4 years of medical school, followed by 4 years of residency, at a minimum. If you want to specialize and do a fellowship, that's another year or two, depending on what you want to do. Plus, some people take time off to do research. Also, you still need to do your pre-reqs and take the MCAT. So you're looking at 9-12 years of work to become a psychiatrist from now.. so again.. are you sure you're ready for that commitment?"
Classmate: (I kind of felt bad cause I had the same look on my face in sophomore year come over me as the information sunk in...) "Oh, that.. that changes things.. I got to think about that then.."

Haven't heard from the guy since.. I might have been a bit of an asshat.. but 4 years to be a psychiatrist after college.. someone had to tell the poor kid before he messed up his last year of undergrad
That is 100% "less informed". Well done

My middle-school English teacher cousin told me on Easter that she wanted to go back to school and thought about dermatology because she loves skin care. She didn't realize for a while that it took more than four years. She has now abandoned that plan.

• Haha
10-33% of the qualified applicant pool, due to late apps, poor essays and/or poor target lists. Rarely, throw in am IA or red flag of a bad LOR.

Remember, only ~40% of applicants get accepts.

This may be slightly off topic, but if you had to estimate the percentage of well qualified applicants (good GPA, MCAT, ECs) who do not get accepted per year, what number would you say? Because like you said, the numbers are inflated due to tons of applicants who have no clue what they're getting into or what is needed to get in. Your comment just kinda piqued my interest.

10-33% of the qualified applicant pool, due to late apps, poor essays and/or poor target lists. Rarely, throw in am IA or red flag of a bad LOR.

Remember, only ~40% of applicants get accepts.
Thank you for your swift and informative response, as always, Goro.

What a shame. He was one of the few funny Ron Swansons around here.

You probably should know what the word "prerequisite" means just before starting college, and you should definitely know what a prerequisite is after you've had it explained to you a couple of times (as I later clarified had happened).

I'm definitely not arguing against that. I was just responding to what horse apiece said.

Social media post from a parent of a premed junior...

So my daughter is sick so she goes to her doctor in Boston. After X-ray, doc says, you possibly have pleural effusion. Talks to her about a possible blood clot...does blood work, EKG and test her oxygen which was very low - alarming!

I have to be nice to daughter about how I feel about doctors since she is about to be one ....

About to be one?? She's not even been through the med school app process yet!

:rolleyes::joyful::eek:

Had another pre-med volunteer at my clinic whom I would ask about the status of her MCAT prep, PS, etc.

The last time I had the chance to speak with her, I asked her how MCAT studying was going and she replied, "I'm not really studying, I want time to relax, so I'm just using this app that gives you a single MCAT question each day." I couldn't help but turn my back and cringe. Turned to her once more and said, "Oh! Well good luck with that..."

I guess I'm going to man up and share a stupid pre-med try-hard story ... of myself...

Our school has a policy for first semester freshmen that allows them to have an extended add-drop deadline, so they can take longer to decide whether they wanted to stay in a class. I was taking Honors Calc 3, which was heavily proof based, and I feared that I wouldn't be able to get an A. When I heard about the extended add-drop deadline, I remarked to a classmate about how I was probably going to drop this class at the last moment because I was probably going to get an A-, and that might have ruined my 4.0 GPA (which I thought was absolutely essential for medical school). Because I had Honors Orgo and another Honors writing class, I thought this was a "smart" decision. The look that the guy gave me was of absolute disgust, lol.

So, I did end up 4.0-ing that first year. Little did I know that I would get absolutely destroyed junior year (C's and D's level of destroyed), so all b*tching about A's didn't matter in the long run. I also came to realize that clinical involvement and patient interaction were far more effective in solidifying my application than grades were. I'm not undervaluing the importance of a high GPA, just that there were far more effective things that I could have done with my time.