"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's even better than all the clueless non-African-Americans who apply to the HBCs!!!
I'm a white applicant with an HBC on my list. I pays my money, I takes my chances. #LocationLocationLocation
I had a black president, I should be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@AntsInMyEyes_Johnson I may have told you this already, but you definitely have one of the unranked top five best usernames ever.

On Topic: I once unmatched a solid 8.5 because she was insistent on telling me that she was currently attending medical school to become a PA - at community college. I asked the obvious questions at first, and then she tried to explain to me what medical school is as if I didn't know.

I really wonder what it's like to be so oblivious...I imagine it's like being partly anesthetized 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

First time I'm using smilies, hopefully it works lol

:=|:-): :=|:-): :=|:-):

This isn't from a pre-med, but rather a physician unfortunately. I was talking with her when I was in the process of studying for the MCAT.

Me: So I'm looking at going to med school. Where did you go?

Her: SGU, I graduated 2012

Me: *cringing inwardly* oh did you like it? What led you to go there.

Her: yeah it was a good school, well I finished undergrad early and wanted to start med school right away so it seemed like the best option. (There's the delayed gratification issue that's always talked about).

Me:So I'm looking to apply MD/DO...if my only option ends up being DO, do you think that would be ok or would it be better to get an MD in the Carib? (I was testing her at this point)

Her: oh I would get the MD it's a better degree to have in the long run

Being uninformed isn't just a pre-med thing LOL

I mean to give her credit. The whole Caribbean MD dynamics weren't as bad back in the days. It's been becoming a problem more and more these days. Her ignorance is mostly thinking its still the same. But yeah you're right

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I mean to give her credit. The whole Caribbean MD dynamics weren't as bad back in the days. It's been becoming a problem more and more these days. Her ignorance is mostly thinking its still the same. But yeah you're right

2012 isn't back in the day.

Reactions: 4 users
Graduated 2012 so I'm assuming she enrolled in 2008. That's almost ten years. Lots changed since then.

I don't think so. I remember lurking on this forum back then, and the Carib was already generally considered a bad idea. I think "the day" is more like the 90s or early 00s. I used to work with a few surgeons who went to SGU, but they went in the 90s. They said it sucked, but they got to be doctors (incidentally, it's obviously residency that makes the doctor to some extent, because these guys were great). They also said they wouldn't recommend it anymore, and that was back in 2005/2006.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much SDN arguments in a nutshell (apart from usual trolling and flamewars)

20110218.gif

Reactions: 22 users
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
@AntsInMyEyes_Johnson I may have told you this already, but you definitely have one of the unranked top five best usernames ever.

On Topic: I once unmatched a solid 8.5 because she was insistent on telling me that she was currently attending medical school to become a PA - at community college. I asked the obvious questions at first, and then she tried to explain to me what medical school is as if I didn't know.

I really wonder what it's like to be so oblivious...I imagine it's like being partly anesthetized 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 21 users
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

Only when you reach mount stupid. Until then, it seems like you are pretty aware of your stupidity (at least according to Louis CK).

Reactions: 7 users
So I'm in the elevator with the other interviewees at Touro COM - Harlem, and some guy whispers to me, "What's OMM?" I say, "uh, osteopathic manipulative medicine?" and he says, "what's that?"

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that one. "Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?" "Uhh, so I can make the big bucks replacing hip joints. Wait, that's orthopedic... ****..."

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have literally been reading this thread for the past three days and it's like television tbh. *QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT*

Reactions: 10 users
So I'm in the elevator with the other interviewees at Touro COM - Harlem, and some guy whispers to me, "What's OMM?" I say, "uh, osteopathic manipulative medicine?" and he says, "what's that?"

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that one. "Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?" "Uhh, so I can make the big bucks replacing hip joints. Wait, that's orthopedic... ****..."
I would have lost it. I wonder what his answer was in the interview? :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users

Or "Because people tell me it's a better option than the carribean"
I would have lost it. I wonder what his answer was in the interview?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Wow! That is someone who will never get into med school except as a cadaver. Darwin Award level stupidity!

I was talking with a friend the other day who asked about where I am in the pre-med process, and we got to talking about personal statements and ECs and other stuff.

The advice he gave me was to never talk about any struggles I faced because it would make them pity me and lose respect for me, then continued to talk about how he focused his primary on his interest in the money and lifestyle, and that they would respect him for being honest.
He also said not to talk about my art even if it makes me unique because it sounds super boring to him and they will think its boring too, and that all they want to see is medical related activities.
He also told me not to worry about finding physicians to shadow because it's not important for the application, that you will learn about what they do when you get accepted.

He has applied twice and has been rejected to all schools both times. I kept a serious face when he was talking but I was dying inside lol

Reactions: 8 users
Wow! That is someone who will never get into med school except as a cadaver. Darwin Award level stupidity!
A corpse without a brain would still be pretty useless for gross anatomy

Reactions: 13 users
The brains have all been removed from our cadavers in gross anatomy...
Under cause of death does it just read "dude, there's no brain in there..."?

I faced a similar scenario at my first interview. We were walking around with the student ambassadors following interviews and they posed the question, "What is OMM?". I hung back because I wanted to see how my competition fared and it was an awkward eternity of everyone looking at each other to speak up. I stood there grinning and in slight awe and one of the ambassadors caught me, pointed a finger at me and said, "You. I see you're enjoying this, mind telling us what OMM is and its significance?" I laughed a bit, explained what it is and afterward, the ambassadors introduced themselves to me throughout the rest of the tour but they didn't do the same for the other interviewees.

Moral of the story: if you're interviewing at a DO school simply for safety, at least prepare- even slightly.

We may have transcended "less-informed" on this one. At lunch today.

"From now on in the application process i'm gonna ask myself, what would Kenny Powers do? and let that guide my decisions".

Sorta turns into a little sketch comedy.

Question from imaginary interviewer: everything looks good, but your MCAT seems out of character for the rest of your application, could you talk about that Mr. Powers?

Changes back to Kenny Powers voice: Well madam secretary, I figured studying for some standardized test is about the most stupid, self-centered thing I can think of. Instead of sitting in a dusty library for my own benefit, I could be out in the community making a difference, so I did that instead. I taught kids how to read good, played with babies, and put smiles on old folks' faces. Basically I'm too good of a person to have a high mcat score. Like I always say, fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

Interviewer: I'm gonna go see what we can put together for a scholarship offer.

Reactions: 4 users
That sounds like a personal problem to me

And his cause of death with respiratory/heart failure.

We do gross brain and brain stem in separate labs.
I am pretty sure this is done because you can't expect the brain to hold up from like...September to May without decaying completely.

Changes back to Kenny Powers voice: Well madam secretary, I figured studying for some standardized test is about the most stupid, self-centered thing I can think of. Instead of sitting in a dusty library for my own benefit, I could be out in the community making a difference, so I did that instead. I taught kids how to read good, played with babies, and put smiles on old folks' faces. Basically I'm too good of a person to have a high mcat score. Like I always say, fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

0206-derek-zoolander-vh1-films-paramount-pictures-01-1200x630.jpg

A corpse without a brain would still be pretty useless for gross anatomy

The brains have all been removed from our cadavers in gross anatomy...

And his cause of death with respiratory/heart failure.

We do gross brain and brain stem in separate labs.
I am pretty sure this is done because you can't expect the brain to hold up from like...September to May without decaying completely.

somewhat relevant

20130601.gif

Reactions: 20 users
Here's a conversation I had with another pre-med student today:

Pre-med student: "I plan on doing an M.D./Ph.D. program."
Me: "That's cool. I considered it but I just don't know if it's worth the time commitment for me."
Pre-med student: "There's no extra time commitment. I'm going to get my M.D. and my Ph.D. in four years."
Me: "Um, I'm pretty sure you can't do that. The shortest time frame I've heard of is six years to get both."
Pre-med student: "Well I'm going to go to a medical school that offers an M.D./Ph.D. in four years. You know, the ones where they integrate research into the semester breaks."
Me: "Like where? I know at (local medical school) it takes 6-8 years."
Pre-med: "Oh I don't know, but there are some. And I'm going to go to one of them."
Me: "Okay, good luck then..."

• Haha

Me: "That's cool. I considered it but I just don't know if it's worth the time commitment for me."
Pre-med student: "There's no extra time commitment. I'm going to get my M.D. and my Ph.D. in four years."
Me: "Um, I'm pretty sure you can't do that. The shortest time frame I've heard of is six years to get both."
Pre-med student: "Well I'm going to go to a medical school that offers an M.D./Ph.D. in four years. You know, the ones where they integrate research into the semester breaks."
Pre-med: "Oh I don't know, but there are some. And I'm going to go to one of them."

I remember a long, long time ago someone linked a Doc's profile here that showed them earning their MD and PhD in BME in 4 years total. They also graduated from undergrad at like 19. My money is that this person is not necessarily one of those people haha, but I cant blame him for the wishful thinking!

You can't fix stupid, ogleea.

I remember a long, long time ago someone linked a Doc's profile here that showed them earning their MD and PhD in BME in 4 years total. They also graduated from undergrad at like 19. My money is that this person is not necessarily one of those people haha, but I cant blame him for the wishful thinking!

When I was across the pond, we were made aware of a recently matriculated PhD student that was too young to drink beer (the drinking age is 18 there...).

5 minutes ago a freshmen pre-med student talking to me:

"I'm not worried about the mcat at all. People who say it's hard are all dumb."

Ok good luck with that attitude bud

I almost spit out my coffee HAHA

Reactions: 8 users
This kid I strongly disliked but kept to myself since he was in all my classes, being the same major and all:

Me: Hey you nervous about interviews coming up?

Him: Nah, I got this. I'm a pretty charming guy..barely even prepared

*day of interview*

Him (texts me): What's MMI?

Suffice to say he got rekt. I'm surprised he even got any interview invites period

People have gotten a Ph.D in a month before. It's not impossible

I've heard so many variations of this it makes me sick to my stomach. I believe it stems from people who grow up in situations that breed snowflake syndrome...but I could be wrong. Perhaps the MCAT is just so daunting that many people trick themselves into viewing it from an idiotic standpoint, kind of like a mental safety net? Regardless...it's just sad and irritating.

I've heard so many variations of this it makes me sick to my stomach. I believe it stems from people who grow up in situations that breed snowflake syndrome...but I could be wrong. Perhaps the MCAT is just so daunting that many people trick themselves into viewing it from an idiotic standpoint, kind of like a mental safety net? Regardless...it's just sad and irritating.
I agree. Granted, everything comes pretty easily to this kid but that attitude isn't going to get him anywhere. This is the same student who is going into medicine to be an anesthesiologist because "it's super easy work and they make a ton of money."

I agree. Granted, everything comes pretty easily to this kid but that attitude isn't going to get him anywhere. This is the same student who is going into medicine to be an anesthesiologist because "it's super easy work and they make a ton of money."
HAHAHA! Every gas guy/gal I know works like a dog, especially in residency.

And to all you pre-meds out there, just know that the MCAT is still a beast for those who seem to have an easy time in undergrad. I can name dozens of people I went to school with who did waaay better than me but who couldn't break a 497 on the exam. Lots of factors go into getting a decent score.

And to all you pre-meds out there, just know that the MCAT is still a beast for those who seem to have an easy time in undergrad. I can name dozens of people I went to school with who did waaay better than me but who couldn't break a 497 on the exam. Lots of factors go into getting a decent score.
My prediction is that he wont even apply when the time comes around. There is no way he will stick around that long without any passion besides money... but I could be wrong.

My prediction is that he wont even apply when the time comes around. There is no way he will stick around that long without any passion besides money... but I could be wrong.
You'd be surprised. Every time I'm at a class function, alcohol and true aspirations seem to flow in tandem.

Nevertheless, I'm of the mindset that even if you are doing it for $, however stupid it may be, as long as you are good at your job, there's nothing wrong with it.

Nevertheless, I'm of the mindset that even if you are doing it for $, however stupid it may be, as long as you are good at your job, there's nothing wrong with it.
That is true. Although, as cheesy as it sounds, I think it would be much harder to be good at something without any real passion.

You'd be surprised. Every time I'm at a class function, alcohol and true aspirations seem to flow in tandem.

ImageUploadedBySDN1493409551.191336.jpg

Yes. Yes. lol. Pretty much this at every bar event. What I find funny though is the complete nightmare whose never turned a head a day in his life believing that medical school/an MD degree will make his life WAAAY better in terms of attracting a mate...and there is only so much I can do with hair.

"I don't understand. Why doesn't she want to date me? I mean...I'm in ******* medical school!"

No degree can (completely) fix aesthetics or a crap personality. And if you have a problem in both areas...good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Aside from the anesthesiologists I've worked with, two of my friends recently finished their gas residencies. They definitely worked their asses off, and they will continue to do so as attendings. It might be a less taxing schedule than surgery, but it's not a cakewalk.

Yes. Yes. lol. Pretty much this at every bar event. What I find funny though is the complete nightmare whose never turned a head a day in his life believing that medical school/an MD degree will make his life WAAAY better in terms of attracting a mate...and there is only so much I can do with hair.

"I don't understand. Why doesn't she want to date me? I mean...I'm in ******* medical school!"

No degree can (completely) fix aesthetics or a crap personality. And if you have a problem in both areas...good luck.
Lol this reminds me of one of my good buds in law school right now. A few months ago he says "dude im so surprised ladies arent all over me... I mean, Im in law school!!!" Then I told him he was an a**hole and we laughed. It may help in some situations but probably not as readily as we'd like to think.

Aside from the anesthesiologists I've worked with, two of my friends recently finished their gas residencies. They definitely worked their asses off, and they will continue to do so as attendings. It might be a less taxing schedule than surgery, but it's not a cakewalk.
The only "easy" (this isn't even the right term, as all specialties are still harder than most jobs/professions) specialties are psych, pmr, derm, and MAYBE (I mean MAYBE) rad onc. But in residency, especially the first year, psych can be a nightmare.

It may just be my moderately narrow experience, but it seems like a LOT of anesthesiologists usually have a "side job" or something that they prefer over gassing peeps. One that I work with is a pretty popular author, another owns a gym, another makes furniture. They are very hard workers but it seems like most have something on the side they prefer over anesthesiology. And they aren't things I would really consider "hobbies."

It may just be my moderately narrow experience, but it seems like a LOT of anesthesiologists usually have a "side job" or something that they prefer over gassing peeps. One that I work with is a pretty popular author, another owns a gym, another makes furniture. They are very hard workers but it seems like most have something on the side they prefer over anesthesiology. And they aren't things I would really consider "hobbies."

Yeah. To be clear, I mean that at work you are working. Everyone thinks it's just a lot of sitting around, but they work. As I said, the schedule is definitely better than many. An anesthesiologist I know owned a recording studio.

Reactions: 1 user