"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"What do you want to do with a biology degree?"

"Hopefully medical school, but we will see."

"Ah, what do you want to specialize in, MD?"

View attachment 220138

"you're going to medical school? When did you decide to become a nurse?"

DsGSMFP.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
I want to post about a pre-med from work who is applying this cycle. But I know for a fact that they check SDN and posting it here will definitely give off my identity *sigh*

I really hope this person never becomes a doctor. They're pretty smart and I'm sure their app on paper looks decent. I just hope the interview process screens them out. Something about their personality tells me I would never trust them to treat my family or friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to post about a pre-med from work who is applying this cycle. But I know for a fact that they check SDN and posting it here will definitely give off my identity *sigh*

I really hope this person never becomes a doctor. They're pretty smart and I'm sure their app on paper looks decent. I just hope the interview process screens them out. Something about their personality tells me I would never trust them to treat my family or friends.
... I'm a pre-med from work

Reactions: 22 users

Why even post this frustratingly vague tease of a statement at all then? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Not mine, but a story from a friend on the interview trail:

He was interviewing at a school, and they start it of as a group interview with other students. Not serious questions, just getting to know you stuff.

Anyways, hes sitting next to another guy who looked really pale (like barely sees the sun) and has creepy/silent demeanor. Friend said he was just emptily staring at people, making them feel uncomfortable. Later when its asked, this guy mentions he wants to go into nuerosurgery.

Couple of questions later, its "whats your favorite movie?"

This kids answer: the Hannibal Lecter series.

There might be a brain eating medical student afoot...

Reactions: 18 users
Not mine, but a story from a friend on the interview trail:

He was interviewing at a school, and they start it of as a group interview with other students. Not serious questions, just getting to know you stuff.

Anyways, hes sitting next to another guy who looked really pale (like barely sees the sun) and has creepy/silent demeanor. Friend said he was just emptily staring at people, making them feel uncomfortable. Later when its asked, this guy mentions he wants to go into nuerosurgery.

Couple of questions later, its "whats your favorite movie?"

This kids answer: the Hannibal Lecter series.

There might be a brain eating medical student afoot...

He sounds dreamy

Reactions: 1 users
This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

"you already got your app submitted?"

"Sort of, just finishing up the activities section on one of them. Not looking forward to the credit card statement."

"Why? is applying expensive?"

Reactions: 9 users
Girl I just met at an alumni function who is a junior in college at the party with her older sister.

Her: you're in medical school? That's so cool! I'm gonna go into medicine too!

Me: That's cool, any experiences yet?

Her: no, but my sister works in a hospital and I already know what I want to specialize in (super proud of herself)

Me: oh, you'll have loads more time to consider that one, but what are you thinking so far?

Her: medsurg! My sister is in medsurg and it sounds awesome!

Me: Is your sister a nurse?

Her: yeah, why?

Me: (in a nice voice but trying not to grin) medsurg is just the floor of the hospital she works on and it's a nursing thing, not a medical specialty.

Her: gives me dirty look like she wants to throw her drink in my face.
(Presumably goes to tell all of her friends that I mansplained to her and that I'm an dingus)

Lol

Update: she's not a junior, she's and incoming freshman and was lying to seem older. So her ignorance is more forgivable but Jesus that attitude sucked lmao.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Talked with a friend of mine today:

Him: I'm going to apply for PA school.
Me: That's cool. I thought you were going for MD; why PA?
Him: PA school is 30-40k a year and it's only for two or three years!
Me: That is pretty cool!
Him: Yeah, I get in-state tuition at PA schools, unlike medical schools!
Me: u wot?

I sent him like five different in-state medical schools with 30-40k tuition. He still hasn't gotten back to me.

Reactions: 7 users
Update: she's not a junior, she's and incoming freshman and was lying to seem older. So her ignorance is more forgivable but Jesus that attitude sucked lmao.

Ha! Are you at this event today? You found out a couple hours after posting that she's a recent high school grad!? :laugh:

Ok got an anecdote.

A while ago I scheduled an appointment with our pre-med adviser at my uni to tell him I got accepted to med school. Also wanted to chat with him a bit since it's likely I won't see him anymore. Since the next application cycle had begun he was pretty busy meeting with applicants to discuss their committee letter. So I sat in one of the chairs in the hallway next to his office to wait until he was done with the person before me. Few minutes later another person came and sat next to me outside his office, probably another pre-med applying for the current cycle. They seemed pretty tense, so I decided to chat with them a bit.

Me: Hey, you applying for this cycle?
Them: *stared at me intensely for 2 seconds* Yeah?
Me: I'm assuming you're meeting with Dr. Adviser to discuss about your committee letter?
Them: *in a very cold voice* Yeah, I'm working on my committee forms.
Me: Oh, good luck with that. Make sure you include your transcripts and remind your professors for LORs. Otherwise the committee might submit your letter late. I had one of my professors do it last minute, so don't do that haha.
Them: *Looked at my empty hands, raised their eyebrow, probably thought I was another current cycle applicant and wondered why I had no forms or papers with me* Yeah yeah, I know I know. *then covered up their forms, and moved two chairs away from me*
Me: o_O

Alright, since they didn't seem like in the mood to chat I decided to browse social media on my phone for the remainder of the waiting time. When our adviser came out of his office, he asked how I was doing. I told him I got accepted into med school, which in turn made him give me a big hug.

Adviser: Congratulations, rolliespring! I'm glad you got into one of your top choices!
Me: Yeah I'm super...

Out of nowhere, I heard another person scream. I turned back and saw it was the other person that was very tense a few minutes ago. Their eyes were literally lit on fire.

Them: OMG you're accepted to med school! Congratulations!!! That's so awesome, right Dr. Adviser??
Me: Um, yeah thanks!
Them: Would you mind me asking, what was your GPA? MCAT? Was it a 4.0?
Me: Uhh...
Them: Oh were you in the pre-med club? Is that why you're so close with Dr. Adviser? Can I get your contact information in case I have questions this cycle?
Me: :inpain:

A few minutes ago they literally didn't even want to look at me. I wasn't sure if they were trying to impress the adviser so he could write them a better committee letter or thought I was another applicant in the same cycle and treated me like some competitor. My adviser had to tell them to calm down and wait outside the office a bit. Either way I hope they're not like this to other applicants when they're on their interview lol

• Wow
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok got an anecdote.

A while ago I scheduled an appointment with our pre-med adviser at my uni to tell him I got accepted to med school. Also wanted to chat with him a bit since it's likely I won't see him anymore. Since the next application cycle had begun he was pretty busy meeting with applicants to discuss their committee letter. So I sat in one of the chairs in the hallway next to his office to wait until he was done with the person before me. Few minutes later another person came and sat next to me outside his office, probably another pre-med applying for the current cycle. They seemed pretty tense, so I decided to chat with them a bit.

Me: Hey, you applying for this cycle?
Gunner: *stared at me intensely for 2 seconds* Yeah?
Me: I'm assuming you're meeting with Dr. Adviser to discuss about your committee letter?
Gunner: *in a very cold voice* Yeah, I'm working on my committee forms.
Me: Oh, good luck with that. Make sure you include your transcripts and remind your professors for LORs. Otherwise the committee might submit your letter late. I had one of my professors do it last minute, so don't do that haha.
Gunner: *Looked at my empty hands, raised their eyebrow, probably thought I was another current cycle applicant and wondered why I had no forms or papers with me* Yeah yeah, I know I know. *then covered up their forms, and moved two chairs away from me*
Me: o_O

FIFY

Reactions: 1 user
Ha! Are you at this event today? You found out a couple hours after posting that she's a recent high school grad!? :laugh:

Yeah lol. Her older sister and I have a mutual friend who told me how old the girl actually is.

Reactions: 4 users
Girl I just met at an alumni function who is a junior in college at the party with her older sister.

Her: you're in medical school? That's so cool! I'm gonna go into medicine too!

Me: That's cool, any experiences yet?

Her: no, but my sister works in a hospital and I already know what I want to specialize in (super proud of herself)

Me: oh, you'll have loads more time to consider that one, but what are you thinking so far?

Her: medsurg! My sister is in medsurg and it sounds awesome!

Me: Is your sister a nurse?

Her: yeah, why?

Me: (in a nice voice but trying not to grin) medsurg is just the floor of the hospital she works on and it's a nursing thing, not a medical specialty.

Her: gives me dirty look like she wants to throw her drink in my face.
(Presumably goes to tell all of her friends that I mansplained to her and that I'm an dingus)

Lol

Medsurg is clearly a medical specialty. I'm going into it when I become a nurse after I'm done with my med schools

Reactions: 16 users
I met a guy who worked at Guitar Center tell me he went to medical school, but he didn't like it so he became a photographer.

He did a CNA program at community college.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 14 users
Talked with a friend of mine today:

Him: I'm going to apply for PA school.
Me: That's cool. I thought you were going for MD; why PA?
Him: PA school is 30-40k a year and it's only for two or three years!
Me: That is pretty cool!
Him: Yeah, I get in-state tuition at PA schools, unlike medical schools!
Me: u wot?

I sent him like five different in-state medical schools with 30-40k tuition. He still hasn't gotten back to me.
He's CLEARLY from Pennsylvania and doesn't want to live in Maryland! He is obviously interested in the Penn State 3+3 family med program!

I had a friend in undergrad who was really smart but incredibly lazy. She would be able to understand any material instantly but put in no extra work to cement it for exams--this led to her getting around a 2.5 sGPA and a 3.0 cGPA. She also refused to study seriously for the MCAT and got a sub-500. Despite all this she was adamant that she would get into top-10 medical schools despite her numbers because:
1) She was an in-state resident for a few of those top-10 schools and some of those schools didn't have 'required coursework' and
2) She was an athlete and medical schools would cut her a break for her stats because of this

:confused:

Reactions: 3 users
I had a friend in undergrad who was really smart but incredibly lazy. She would be able to understand any material instantly but put in no extra work to cement it for exams--this led to her getting around a 2.5 sGPA and a 3.0 cGPA. She also refused to study seriously for the MCAT and got a sub-500. Despite all this she was adamant that she would get into top-10 medical schools despite her numbers because:
1) She was an in-state resident for a few of those top-10 schools and some of those schools didn't have 'required coursework' and
2) She was an athlete and medical schools would cut her a break for her stats because of this

The snowflake syndrome is strong in this one.

Reactions: 6 users

I know a girl who is very similar, except she's an international student. She doesn't understand that being international actually works against her. She is convinced that she'll get in because she's just so smart and interesting. Her GPA is a bit higher (3.3), but she hasn't taken the MCAT. Oh, and she plans to apply this cycle. She's taking the MCAT in September and refuses to touch AMCAS until after the exam+pity+

PS: She's gunning for Hopkins AND doesn't think she needs to study much for the MCAT because, again, she's so smart.

I know a girl who is very similar, except she's an international student. She doesn't understand that being international actually works against her. She is convinced that she'll get in because she's just so smart and interesting. Her GPA is a bit higher (3.3), but she hasn't taken the MCAT. Oh, and she plans to apply this cycle. She's taking the MCAT in September and refuses to touch AMCAS until after the exam+pity+

PS: She's gunning for Hopkins AND doesn't think she needs to study much for the MCAT because, again, she's so smart.

But has a 3.3? Is she an engineering major at Cal or something?

:eek:

There have been a few of these stories over the years in the "less informed premed" threads. I've often wanted to hear what these applicants say when their app cycle fails.

There have been a few of these stories over the years in the "less informed premed" threads. I've often wanted to hear what these applicants say when their app cycle fails.
"*insert BS excuse that's completely irrelevant to why they failed*"

Reactions: 2 users
But has a 3.3? Is she an engineering major at Cal or something?

Nope. She's a bio major at a typical state university.

Does it matter? She's an int'l applicant. JMO, but I've always thought that the few int'ls that get into US med schools are the truly exceptional candidates with stand-out stats. Why would a MD school need to accept a 3.3 GPA int'l who applies in Sept?

The snowflake syndrome is strong in this one.
Hahaha, most likely. I think what made her entitled thinking even worse was that she refused to even listen to advice or information that told her that she wasn't going to be accepted into ANY MD/DO program with her stats and sub par extracurriculars; she's also not URM or extremely disadvantaged so she can't use adversity as an explanation. I would give her a pass if she was honestly trying and listening but she was so cut off from anything that contradicted her fantasy life as a top surgeon that when she gets her rude awakening, I can't say that many different people tried to warn her to the point of frustration...:bang:

Wow, hahaha, are these two girls sisters? I can't believe that people, international and US, can be so ignorant, and willingly so, about the US medical school application process and think that their poor performance and procrastination will get them into top-10 schools (especially your friend[?] who was insistent she would get into Hopkins). And I also can't believe that she's not even going to touch the AMCAS until September... Holy hell that's gonna be, well, hell. Submitting late can hurt your chances and if she fails to do well on the MCAT she's gonna have a really rude awakening come next spring...

Yeah, surprisingly so. You'd think with all the information available to people these "less informed pre-meds" would be able to figure out that nothing is guaranteed in this application process and that you need to make yourself as competitive as possible as an all-around applicant. The frustrating thing with this friend is that she honestly doesn't think that her poor numbers and lack of ECs are going to keep her out of MD/DO. She sincerely thinks that the odds are in her favor because she participated in sports (we weren't even at a DI school) and she has solid non-medical related work experience (her logic for this was that medical schools were looking for people who did something different so she didn't have to do a lot of or any medically related volunteer work or shadowing).:depressed:

I also had another "less-informed pre-med" that I would often tutor. She wanted to be a surgeon because it looked 'glamorous' and she could 'make a lot of money' while also having 'a lot of free time'. However she'd often come to our peer tutoring appointments stoned/hung over or not having read any of the notes and so half of the tutoring session was me answering basic questions she could have learned by simply reading the book/class notes. She would flunk almost every test because she would go out to party all night and eventually got a permanent write-up because she was underage and had alcohol in her dorm and then lied about it to a committee when questioned. Needless to say she dropped out of the pre-med track and became a business major later.

Hahaha, most likely. I think what made her entitled thinking even worse was that she refused to even listen to advice or information that told her that she wasn't going to be accepted into ANY MD/DO program with her stats and sub par extracurriculars; she's also not URM or extremely disadvantaged so she can't use adversity as an explanation. I would give her a pass if she was honestly trying and listening but she was so cut off from anything that contradicted her fantasy life as a top surgeon that when she gets her rude awakening, I can't say that many different people tried to warn her to the point of frustration...:bang:

Wow, hahaha, are these two girls sisters? I can't believe that people, international and US, can be so ignorant, and willingly so, about the US medical school application process and think that their poor performance and procrastination will get them into top-10 schools (especially your friend[?] who was insistent she would get into Hopkins). And I also can't believe that she's not even going to touch the AMCAS until September... Holy hell that's gonna be, well, hell. Submitting late can hurt your chances and if she fails to do well on the MCAT she's gonna have a really rude awakening come next spring...

I feel really bad because reality is going to hit her hard this cycle. Other than being entitled and full of herself, she's a nice person. But I agree, the lack of understanding of this process is truly amazing.

Does it matter? She's an int'l applicant. JMO, but I've always thought that the few int'ls that get into US med schools are the truly exceptional candidates with stand-out stats. Why would a MD school need to accept a 3.3 GPA int'l who applies in Sept?

The 3.3 might reconcile slightly more with her thinking she's so smart if she's in an extremely difficult major at a tough school. It doesn't matter for med school admissions, but it's just crazy to me that someone with a 3.3 in a bio major at a state school could think she's somehow brilliant.

The 3.3 might reconcile slightly more with her thinking she's so smart if she's in an extremely difficult major at a tough school. It doesn't matter for med school admissions, but it's just crazy to me that someone with a 3.3 in a bio major at a state school could think she's somehow brilliant.

I can sort of understand where that mentality comes from. She grew up in a third world country. Her parents are fairly wealthy, so I imagine that is where a bit of her entitled attitude originates. She is not a native English speaker, and did not start learning the language until her early teens.

To be clear, I'm not trying to defend her ignorance; I'm just saying that I can understand why she thinks she is "a snowflake". In the context of her family and home country, she's probably doing pretty well. When I told her that she needed to be a spectacular applicant, she said she already was. This was mostly based on her background and how far she's traveled to get where she is. Sadly, though, this is not enough to make her a compelling candidate to US med schools when combined with her GPA and likely atrocious MCAT. Making her understand that has proven to be impossible.

I am sure that this millennial mindset is deadly for many med school applicants, international and domestic alike.

I can't be the only one who feels kind of...bad for these people?
It's almost like some bizarre form of self sabatoge that they aren't even aware of, like if they just tried a little bit they could get into some really top schools and do great things.
This reminds me of that guy who had great numbers/EC's but he submitted his app extremely late, and that's why he didn't get in anywhere.
There's this psychological thing I read about that people sometimes avoid trying so that if they fail, they know it's b/c they didn't try and they can blame it on that, but if they try and they do fail it hurts? IDK I"m really sappy.

I can't be the only one who feels kind of...bad for these people?
It's almost like some bizarre form of self sabatoge that they aren't even aware of, like if they just tried a little bit they could get into some really top schools and do great things.
This reminds me of that guy who had great numbers/EC's but he submitted his app extremely late, and that's why he didn't get in anywhere.
There's this psychological thing I read about that people sometimes avoid trying so that if they fail, they know it's b/c they didn't try and they can blame it on that, but if they try and they do fail it hurts? IDK I"m really sappy.

You can't fail if you never try. If you sabotage yourself so that you never get the chance to try, then you can always talk about how great you would have been.

Reactions: 5 users
You can't fail if you never try. If you sabotage yourself so that you never get the chance to try, then you can always talk about how great you would have been.
So that's just it, doesn't that make you feel bad for these people? I can't be the only one, right? this is like that " Million dollar mistake " guy. Like yeah he was a tool and made the choice to go Carib himself but at the end of the day he really suffered, and nobody deserves that.

So that's just it, doesn't that make you feel bad for these people? I can't be the only one, right? this is like that " Million dollar mistake " guy. Like yeah he was a tool and made the choice to go Carib himself but at the end of the day he really suffered, and nobody deserves that.

Except he made those choices. He had an acceptance at a DO school and was so prestige hungry that he chose the Caribbean thinking he would be the special snowflake.

These people are just ignorant of their own shortcomings (I'm sure he had that going on too). Feeling bad for someone not realizing they aren't a genius is different from feeling bad for someone who willfully ignored a great chance at success for a great chance at heartbreak.

I have a premed drop-out story, a guy I love ranting about.

We start freshman year and are placed in a freshman class based on coursework. As a result of similar coursework, a lot of premeds (at the beginning) are in this group of about 35. One guy, in particular, is a Biochem major. At my school, it's not harder or incredibly specialized, it's really just the major for people who are too extra for either bio or chem, but whatever. It's day one, we don't need to know our majors, maybe he really likes biochem specifically.

In one of the classes we share, we are split into teams to do a debate about public health. He's on my team. I tell everyone to have the first draft of their speech done a week before we can present so our arguments don't contradict each other. He fails to do. He promises to have it done the night before so I can check it over really quick. He does not. He says he's dealing with personal stuff, I respect that because no one can control that. I write half his speech for him and text him that I'm doing this. He gets angry with me. I tell him that it should have been done ages ago (we had like 2 months to prepare and he doesn't know his topic). I tell him if he thinks he can write a better one, he is more than welcome to. He calls me, apologizes, and says he will allow me to continue to do his work. I finish his speech and tell him he needs to read it out loud before he presents tomorrow morning.

The next morning it is very clear he has not practiced the speech because he trips over uncommon but short words. He did not dress up like everyone else did. His Instagram is full of pictures of him partying the whole weekend, and he makes no mention of his supposed 'personal issues.' To his credit, he tells the teacher that he didn't contribute so if any points are docked it shouldn't be from the whole team, which is commendable but also literally the only way he contributed.

He told me he doesn't want to let a bunch of standardized tests (MCAT, Step 1, USMLE) decide his future, so he's dropping out of premed. If he put as much work into his premed courses (he was in two sciences) as into this class, I think he probably dropped out for other reasons. Those classes don't have groupwork to save his grade.

I also wanna thank this thread for teaching me how to not be an obnoxious, neurotic, and overconfident premed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Huh, this is interesting. Was he really a tool? I never sensed that from the guy. Is this a common view of "Million Dollar Mistake"?

Yes. The guy seems super entitled.
Although I can't help but think one of the things that turned him off from DO was the fact that it was pricey- but he could have applied for FA and in the long run the loans would have been less expensive.
This guy had a 270 step I- if any DO could become an orthopod it could have been him. ( This is what I seem to recall, correct me if I'm wrong). And,Renegade Okpi, he said he was " too smart for internal med" and that him being "so much smarter" than the other interns " made him want to cry" so yeah he was super entitled but I still feel bad okay. I'm just lame like that. :oops:

Kinda makes you wonder just how many of these people there are applying each year... maybe they are skewing the stats to make it seem harder for us (mostly) normal folk.

Jk. Wishful thinking

Kinda makes you wonder just how many of these people there are applying each year... maybe they are skewing the stats

Well, surely that's the case in regards to some applicants who either really don't have a chance or who think the deadlines are like undergrad deadlines and submit right before.

I strongly believe that an applicant with qualified stats and adequate ECs, who applies early with a good application, and has a sensible app list and is ok during interviews can get into at least one med school.

The common problems:
GPA...sub 3.6 (more of a problem for a trad, unhooked, non-URM applicant
MCAT...sub 507
Applying late
Stupid app list...too many reaches, too many OOS publics, mostly Calif SOMs
Typos in app
Interview problems - social skills, rambling, unfocused, crazy

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users