"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But in this case he wasn't entitled, he just didn't know. I mean, in HS you can choose not to send ACT/SAT/AP Exam scores, not many people know that the MCAT is different. It's kind of like not knowing that grade replacement doesn't exist for MD schools, it's more of not having access to the info than being entitled/feeling like it's a privilege.
Edit: I guess he could make it to a DO school, so it's not totally over... ( Idk if DO schools average or if they look at the most recent, but at any rate they'd be more likely to forgive a lower MCAT, at least that seems to be the case here.
The only way you could say he didn't have access to the info is if the internet didn't exist, but it does...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like a lot of people just think that applying to medical school is like applying to undergrad and that you can simply retake a low MCAT score/fix your grades and you'll get in somewhere when in reality, it's not that simple.

There's a lot of assuming going on. They've experienced the undergrad app process (multiple SAT/ACT attempts, taking the SAT/ACT "cold" to get a baseline (which is stupid IMHO), score choice, submitting apps 2 minutes before the deadline), and assume it's the same for med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to topic

Premed: I just got my MCAT score back and I got a 495.
Me: that's not competitive
Premed: I know. I took it without practicing because I wanted a baseline so I'd know what to study. Next time I'll probably get at least a 508 and that should be good enough.
Me: we really don't know how med schools will use that first score. They may average it with that later score.
Premed: (looking like I just punched him in the gut) What? I wasn't going to send the first score.
Me: there is no such thing as score choice for the MCAT.
Premed: (now looking sickly green) I think you're just making this up.
Me: :confused:
A couple teachers at my university suggested I take the exam without studying to "get used to the conditions." At this point I had been a lurker on SDN for a year or so. Thank God for SDN.

Reactions: 7 users
A couple teachers at my university suggested I take the exam without studying to "get used to the conditions." At this point I had been a lurker on SDN for a year or so. Thank God for SDN.

Where's their thinking skills? Even if they don't know the harm associated with a low MCAT score, what's the point of not studying before?

Who here has gone back and corrected these people to prevent them from giving dangerous advice to others in the future?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh Gawd! For the sake of future pre-meds at your school, please get these advisors SDN accounts, so we can smack some sense into them!!!

Reactions: 9 users
What. That's such a ridiculous thing to say, especially if those people work in education and know that studying for major tests pays off. I mean, for the SAT/ACT they recommend that you take multiple practice tests before you even take the real exam and those tests aren't even close to being as ball-busting and future-deciding as the MCAT...

Reactions: 2 users
Where's their thinking skills? Even if they don't know the harm associated with a low MCAT score, what's the point of not studying before?

Who here has gone back and corrected these people to prevent them from giving dangerous advice to others in the future?

Oh Gawd! For the sake of future pre-meds at your school, please get these advisors SDN accounts, so we can smack some sense into them!!!

What. That's such a ridiculous thing to say, especially if those people work in education and know that studying for major tests pays off. I mean, for the SAT/ACT they recommend that you take multiple practice tests before you even take the real exam and those tests aren't even close to being as ball-busting and future-deciding as the MCAT...

I know, it's terrifying. One of the teachers who told me this actually went to medical school, although it was in the early 90's. I told him that no one really knows exactly how medical schools read a low first-score MCAT, so it's beyond risky to take it without studying-- barring a 520+ score the next time around.

But yes, if you can't tell from some of my other posts in this thread, I go to a very small private school and I only know of about 5 pre-meds. It's actually very nice because we're all friends and we help each other whenever we can. The disadvantage is having horrible advising since only about 3 kids per year go off to med school from the university. Can't have it all, I guess.

Reactions: 3 users

Not to mention that $300 is a lot of cash to drop on getting a feel for things.
I mean, really, even if you didn't know the harm of a low score, why spend that much to take the test "for practice"? If they're just looking to throw money away, my door (and my wallet) is always open...;)

Yes!

And, where's the smack-upside-the-head icon?

a>

OK, one of them just picked up an organ from a full-scale plastic torso model and asked if it was a heart. It was in fact a stomach.

EDIT: I said, "No, but it is the way to a man's heart."

I grabbed this quote from the earlier posts, but...:

It was open lab one night for A&P 2.

I was tired.

I tried to shove the stomach into the cardiac cavity for about thirty seconds before realizing that I was a total idiot.

I then put the stomach down.

And decided that the kidney would make a closer fit.

I was very, VERY tired...

Members don't see this ad :)
Back to topic

Premed: I just got my MCAT score back and I got a 495.
Me: that's not competitive
Premed: I know. I took it without practicing because I wanted a baseline so I'd know what to study. Next time I'll probably get at least a 508 and that should be good enough.
Me: we really don't know how med schools will use that first score. They may average it with that later score.
Premed: (looking like I just punched him in the gut) What? I wasn't going to send the first score.
Me: there is no such thing as score choice for the MCAT.
Premed: (now looking sickly green) I think you're just making this up.
Me: :confused:

God bless people like this for keeping the median low

Reactions: 13 users
So that's just it, doesn't that make you feel bad for these people? I can't be the only one, right? this is like that " Million dollar mistake " guy. Like yeah he was a tool and made the choice to go Carib himself but at the end of the day he really suffered, and nobody deserves that.

However, this is how the competition works. When people fail they fail, there's no excuse or excess love unless god bless them.
Applying medical schools are already competitive enough that only 40% of all applicants could get in.
Must all of the rest fail because they are not good enough? I doubt, some of them might just be unlucky, but this is how competition works.
The process is just cruel and it has to be like that. The resources are limited, and that's why society has never been equal to everyone.
Being a doctor is a privilege you earn but is never a right.

Remember, our lives are built upon the death. We can survival only if we eat plants and/or animals, etc.
Feeling sad to these kids illustrate your sympathy but somehow it's just meaningless. Competition, Wars, and killing occur everyday regardless you've seen them or not.
The only thing we could do is either respect these kids and say nothing, or we laugh at these kids and warn the others not fall into the same mistakes.
However, these things will not change the rule of the world, that lives are built upon the death.

However, this is how the competition works. When people fail they fail, there's no excuse or excess love unless god bless them.
Applying medical schools are already competitive enough that only 40% of all applicants could get in.
Must all of the rest fail because they are not good enough? I doubt, some of them might just be unlucky, but this is how competition works.
The process is just cruel and it has to be like that. The resources are limited, and that's why society has never been equal to everyone.

Remember, our lives are built upon the death. We can survival only if we eat plants and/or animals, etc.
Feeling sad to these kids illustrate your sympathy but somehow it's just meaningless. Competition, Wars, and killing occur everyday regardless you've seen them or not.
The only thing we could do is either respect these kids and say nothing, or we laugh at these kids and warn the others not fall into the same mistakes.
However, these things will not change the rule of the world, that lives are built upon the death.
Morbid much?

Reactions: 12 users
All of my favorite @Goro posts start with "oh gawd!" There is really no exception to this rule hahahaha

Who let the edgelord off 4chan?

Reactions: 15 users
Jesus christ.

Dammit, who got Edgar Allen Poe an SDN account?

Reactions: 10 users

What did you do to my post?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

upload_2017-7-9_17-44-37.jpeg

Anyone here play Overwatch? UBLI-EINSTEIN apparently does...

Lmao. I feel bad for him. He probably used Google Translate.
I'm actually really pleased with myself for making that meme. I've been giggling in my office over it for a while. The wife is not impressed.

Reactions: 19 users
I'm actually really pleased with myself for making that meme. I've been giggling in my office over it for a while. The wife is not impressed.
You can tell your wife that some random college kid on the internet laughed awkardly at your meme in a coffee shop and people thought he was crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
You're married !!! Woah~~ I didn't know you were a not trad!!!

I have another story!

I'm an intro biology lab TA.

Our midterm exam has a written portion - typical "do you understand x" kind of questions -, and then a practical section with "do you know what this is or how to use this" kinds of questions.

On one of the practical questions, we had students look into a microscope at a white blood cell with its nucleus stained purple.

The question was: "What type of cell is this (plant/animal)? What is the structure stained in purple?"

Somebody answered that it was a plant cell. And, you know what? I get it. You had a bad day. You messed up. You just circled the wrong one. I get it.

Until I read how this student answered "what is the structure stained in purple?".

This student answered "coccus".

Wow how could I forget about the most important cell structure of coccus silly me

Reactions: 6 users
I have another story!

I'm an intro biology lab TA.

Our midterm exam has a written portion - typical "do you understand x" kind of questions -, and then a practical section with "do you know what this is or how to use this" kinds of questions.

On one of the practical questions, we had students look into a microscope at a white blood cell with its nucleus stained purple.

The question was: "What type of cell is this (plant/animal)? What is the structure stained in purple?"

Somebody answered that it was a plant cell. And, you know what? I get it. You had a bad day. You messed up. You just circled the wrong one. I get it.

Until I read how this student answered "what is the structure stained in purple?".

This student answered "coccus".

Wow how could I forget about the most important cell structure of coccus silly me
I think he thought the plant cell endocytosed a coccus bacteria. Idk though... did he think he found another endosymbiotic event?

Edit: alternatively, he didn't know anything and remember cocci were round, so wrote that.

I think he thought the plant cell endocytosed a coccus bacteria. Idk though... did he think he found another endosymbiotic event?

Edit: alternatively, he didn't know anything and remember cocci were round, so wrote that.

Whoooooo knows. It was a neutrophil, so maybe he saw the lobules and was like OH YES ROUND UH UH UH COCCUS YES GOOD haha

Whoooooo knows. It was a neutrophil, so maybe he saw the lobules and was like OH YES ROUND UH UH UH COCCUS YES GOOD haha
Yeah, saw the granules as a group of coccus bacteria... funny. Maybe he thought it was G+ cocci? They would be stained with crystal violet.

Last edited:
Classmate took his MCAT a few months back
Me: "You ready? Its a tough test!"
Classmate: "Yep."
Me: "Any questions or anything? How was your prep? You feeling ready???"
Classmate: "Don't worry, I got this"

Fast forward to when he got his score back a few weeks ago; 498 and proud lol

I laughed wayyyy more than I would care to admit. The internet is amazing.

You can tell your wife that some random college kid on the internet laughed awkardly at your meme in a coffee shop and people thought he was crazy.
Astoundingly enough, she remains unimpressed. Damn actuaries... :rofl:

If the two options are plant/animal, Shouldn't that be a red flag to not mention any prokaryotic terms? Lol.

If the two options are plant/animal, Shouldn't that be a red flag to not mention any prokaryotic terms? Lol.

Well, I mean he saw a bunch of granulocytes and thought they were plant cells. Obviously the knowledge base is just not there. I mean there are just so many things to tip someone off that this is an animal cell.

A simple "that's life" will suffice next time.

^ Then why is he wearing a lab coat? :ninja::ninja::ninja: