"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the lowest p value that you guys have seen? I just read an abstract that modeled age-related x chromosome loss in women and it had a p value of .00001. Like four zeroes and a one. WTF

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the lowest p value that you guys have seen? I just read an abstract that modeled age-related x chromosome loss in women and it had a p value of .00001. Like four zeroes and a one. WTF

The p-value for the survival difference for the EZH2 gene is 0.0000000000000001. That's fifteen zeroes and a one.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen some genetic disease linkage papers with p's even low than that! Those geneticists take their job seriously.

An acquaintance of mine keeps talking about how he will make it into derm/plastics/ortho/neurosurgery coming from a carribean school.... no one can convince him not to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

An acquaintance of mine keeps talking about how he will make it into derm/plastics/ortho/neurosurgery coming from a carribean school.... no one can convince him not to go.

My best friend in high school was like that. No matter how long or hard or loud you told him that there was a tree in the road, he just had to hit that tree. With some people, you have to let them learn the hard way.

Reactions: 2 users
My best friend in high school was like that. No matter how long or hard or loud you told him that there was a tree in the road, he just had to hit that tree. With some people, you have to let them learn the hard way.

And, omg, we really don't want those types becoming doctors....

You guys
I was just chatting on FB with someone from this muslim FB page ( talking about struggles of being Muslim in the US) about medical school.
This guy has a 3.8 GPA, lots of EC"s, but he just got his MCAT back and it's a 506. It's lower than he was expecting. I suggested a retake/skipping a cycle. He said he hated waiting so I was like " Okay well good luck, and include plenty of DO schools as well!"
And he literally said " MD or nothing lol" and then " It's more romantic"
*sigh* I hope things work out for him.... :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
This morning a dude at work said he "doesn't believe in those expensive MCAT prep courses or material" because he's "more of a self studier." Got a 493 less than two months ago and is retaking in a few days without having changed anything with his study tactics. He's also applying this cycle before his new scores come in because he "found some places with a minimum MCAT of 491 to apply."

Cringe level 9000.

Reactions: 10 users
I have a friend who was aiming to get a 505 on the MCAT - must not have gotten that as he's taking it over again. He's determined to apply this cycle, but when I asked when, he's thinking some time in September or October. He thinks only people applying ED apply now. He's determined to be an orthopedic surgeon, but I'm not sure the wisdom is there.

Reactions: 4 users
You guys
I was just chatting on FB with someone from this muslim FB page ( talking about struggles of being Muslim in the US) about medical school.
This guy has a 3.8 GPA, lots of EC"s, but he just got his MCAT back and it's a 506. It's lower than he was expecting. I suggested a retake/skipping a cycle. He said he hated waiting so I was like " Okay well good luck, and include plenty of DO schools as well!"
And he literally said " MD or nothing lol" and then " It's more romantic"
*sigh* I hope things work out for him.... :oops:
Did you tell him that beggars can't be choosy?

I once worked as a CNA with a pre-med who didn't get in first time around, completed an SMP and graduated with his masters and didnt get in after that. My man was the most educated CNA I ever met.

:barf::zip:

Did you like CNA work? I start the license program on Monday and then I'll be a full timer while I apply.

Did you tell him that beggars can't be choosy?

He wouldn't even necessarily be a beggar if he could skip a cycle and retake but he "doesn't like waiting" FFS.

I always have a story to tell on this thread.

One of the girls in my class decided not to study for her MCAT. Took the MCAT cold and made a 498. I was in shock. I told her that she should apply broad to DO. But she insisted that she take the MCAT again, without studying, to see if she could go up so she can go to a certain school with an average MCAT of 512.... (She got lucky the first time)

Next is my ole buddy who studied extremly hard for the mcat. Was scoring ~508 on practice tests. Wasnt happy with the score. He pushes the test back 3 months and burns out scoring a 496. Fast foward to last week.. i get a text on my phone askimg me how to fill out his ECs section on his AMCAS. Totally disregarding the DO app. Still hasnt even asked professors for LORs and is determined to apply this cycle.

I have about 10 more that are just as bad

Reactions: 5 users
One of my really close friends (an engineering major) who I've been explaining the med process to for almost a year just told me he's applying. I knew his gpa is too low for MD schools (3.2) and he has zero community service or clinical ECs.
I asked him where he's applying and he said "I'm going through the FAQ page of each med school and applying to all of the ones that say minimum of 3.0"

:bang::bang::bang:

Anyway, one strapping lad from my school had a very nice school list. He was the person that everyone thought was the smartest in the class. He even posted on face book about it! He ended up making a 498 on his mcat and proceeded to let people know that his score was a 498/528. Like he was saying it was ~95%. He applied to 4 schools. The average mcats of said schools were 512,515,517,520. He then was autodenied everywhere. He let everyone in the class know that "it wasnt God's will" and he is being "called" to get a phd

Reactions: 20 users
He wouldn't even necessarily be a beggar if he could skip a cycle and retake but he "doesn't like waiting" FFS.

I can't even count the number of students I've met while doing my post-bac who say they don't want to wait and they have to apply now. Patience and wisdom are traits that take time to develop, and apparently they're missing in a large portion of the pre-meds I've met.

I especially like when they tell me they don't want to be old in medical school. What, like 22? 23? I'm 36. I have no sympathy for those who don't get in because they are impatient.

Reactions: 9 users
Just my two cents...this thread is funny when it pokes fun of dramatically misinformed people who have huge egos and clearly don't know anything about the process, but I think it's a little mean-spirited to make fun of people who just get bad scores on the MCAT or otherwise fall short somehow in their application.

Reactions: 24 users
Just my two cents...this thread is funny when it pokes fun of dramatically misinformed people who have huge egos and clearly don't know anything about the process, but I think it's a little mean-spirited to make fun of people who just get bad scores on the MCAT or otherwise fall short somehow in their application.

Except when they fall short on the MCAT because of things that are their own damn fault.

Reactions: 5 users
One of my really close friends (an engineering major) who I've been explaining the med process to for almost a year just told me he's applying. I knew his gpa is too low for MD schools (3.2) and he has zero community service or clinical ECs.
I asked him where he's applying and he said "I'm going through the FAQ page of each med school and applying to all of the ones that say minimum of 3.0"

A 3.2 with an UW trend or a post bacc of bio/chem classes and a strong MCAT could work at some MD schools, especially since some schools reward reinvention and think of engineering as a tough major??? And DO schools. On the other hand he doesn't have EC's anyway so he's doomed to start with :shrug:

I can't even count the number of students I've met while doing my post-bac who say they don't want to wait and they have to apply now. Patience and wisdom are traits that take time to develop, and apparently they're missing in a large portion of the pre-meds I've met.

I especially like when they tell me they don't want to be old in medical school. What, like 22? 23? I'm 36. I have no sympathy for those who don't get in because they are impatient.
That is true. Although, a small portion of parents will pressure kids to apply before their ready ( I used to think this was just foreign parents , but apparently American parents can pressure their kids to apply before ready, too).But yeah, people who can't be patient on their own accord should get a nice surprise and reapply.

That's what I've been saying! Except for when its their own ego preventing them from succeeding, then its still funny.

"Premed? I'm actually Pre-Surg."

Reactions: 33 users
Dat MCAT line was weak. OChem is about 0.05% of the MCAT boss.

But lol at his logical thinking 10/10

The change was (as far as I can tell) intentional by the AAMC.

The new test is designed to apply scientific concepts to medicine. Writing out archaic synthesis reactions is simply irrelevant for 99% of clinicians. I remember reading an AAMC content list that said that ochem makes up only about 10% of the new MCAT.

*edit*

I just checked the content lists from AAMC, ochem is up to 15% of the chemistry section. The official content lists include, as I mentioned, mostly just the basics of ochem that are relevant to the biochemical basis of life. Knowing your functional groups, basic nomenclature, polarities, acids. Crap you learn in the first month.

Ochem is simply not high yield.

Biochemistry IS high yield based on the content list (25% +) and has a basis in ochem. But I feel like the overlap between listed content is enough that an in depth review of ochem may be overkill.

Honestly though you should not just punt any one subject too much because of the variability between tests. You migh tget a test where 40% of it is Ochem and biochem is barely even there

I knew 2 people who studied for the MCAT together. Both procrastinated and ended up only studying for ~3-4 weeks. After the scores came back they weren't looking at applying anymore. I asked about a possible retake, and both gave an immediate no. Sounds like a rough experience :\
I studied Jan-May through some pretty severe fatigue/exhaustion secondary to then-untreated hypothyroidism so that I wouldn't have to take that test more than once.
Idk what I would have done if I had gotten my score back and it had necessitated a retake. Probably die of heartbreak :/

On a lighter note: while proctoring an anatomy quiz, someone raises their hand and I come over to help. The question they were on was "identify the organ." It was a kidney. A single kidney on a tray. And this person asks me "which one?"

Which. One.

Me: "Umm...the one on the tray?"

I studied Jan-May through some pretty severe fatigue/exhaustion secondary to then-untreated hypothyroidism so that I wouldn't have to take that test more than once.
Idk what I would have done if I had gotten my score back and it had necessitated a retake. Probably die of heartbreak :/

On a lighter note: while proctoring an anatomy quiz, someone raises their hand and I come over to help. The question they were on was "identify the organ." It was a kidney. A single kidney on a tray. And this person asks me "which one?"

Which. One.

Me: "Umm...the one on the tray?"

We have to identify right and left on our exams, so they could have been asking R/L?

Anyway, one strapping lad from my school had a very nice school list. He was the person that everyone thought was the smartest in the class. He even posted on face book about it! He ended up making a 498 on his mcat and proceeded to let people know that his score was a 498/528. Like he was saying it was ~95%.

idk how anyone can make this mistake after getting their score back...it says what percentile you scored in right there lol

I highly recommend hyperthyroidism. It is much better. I could literally eat anything I wanted to all day and I would actually lose weight.

Reactions: 7 users
idk how anyone can make this mistake after getting their score back...it says what percentile you scored in right there lol
It wasnt a mistake. He wanted people who had no idea about the percentiles to think he was some sort of phenom and say God was calling him out of medicine... more like you got darwined out of medicine. The sad part is, he could have been semi competive for DO but the top 20 schools were the only thing worthy for his blessed feet to roam on.

It wasnt a mistake. He wanted people who had no idea about the percentiles to think he was some sort of phenom and say God was calling him out of medicine...

Almost as narcissistic as trump

I'm pretty sure @gonnif said it's a really bad idea to void an MCAT just because you " think" you didn't do well....
Or maybe I'm hallucinating
:confused:
Yeah I thought i did horribly but my girlfriend said If i voided she would kill me and turns out I got a 520

Reactions: 3 users
1443885792-20151003.png

This is actually an important lesson on message delivery.

Reactions: 15 users

Well, then, he's good to go. :D

Ask him how many II's he thinks he'll get.

I agree, though in my experience as a non-traditional student has been the opposite.

Last edited:
One of the girls in my class decided not to study for her MCAT. Took the MCAT cold and made a 498. I was in shock. I told her that she should apply broad to DO. But she insisted that she take the MCAT again, without studying, to see if she could go up so she can go to a certain school with an average MCAT of 512.... (She got lucky the first time)

DO YOU MEAN SHE GOT IN? Or her score the first time was the "lucky high score" and it went down from there?

DO YOU MEAN SHE GOT IN? Or her score the first time was the "lucky high score" and it went down from there?
She was wanting to retake her 498 that she got without studying and not study for the retake

First time I've been on this thread, but wow. Call me sensitive, but many things I've read here is just plain mean.

Sure, this is just an internet forum, but laughing at other people doesn't make ourselves any better.

First time I've been on this thread, but wow. Call me sensitive, but many things I've read here is just plain mean.

Sure, this is just an internet forum, but laughing at other people doesn't make ourselves any better.
Once is a tragedy, twice is farce. But outright stupidity is outright hilarious.

Reactions: 19 users

It doesn't make me any better to watch the simpsons, it arguably probably makes me worse... but I think it's hilarious, so I watch it.

We do things everyday that don't make us "any better", this thread being one of those things. Sometimes we just need a good cringe in the day

It doesn't make me any better to watch the simpsons, it arguably probably makes me worse... but I think it's hilarious, so I watch it.

We do things everyday that don't make us "any better", this thread being one of those things. Sometimes we just need a good cringe in the day
Plus a good chunk of these are either 1) Self-deprecating, 2) Describing people who despite all evidence presented, still make poor decisions, or 3) Poking fun at people who think they're god's gift to humanity by being pre-med. Sure a decent amount of these were over the line, that's what the report button is for though. Heck, I reported that chain a while ago that got up in @mwsapphire 's grill because it was too far.

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with poking fun at someone who can't speak Spanish wanting to apply to PR schools solely because they have FAP and "why not?"

Reactions: 8 users