"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 7 users
And after failing to become a physician, she will go a different route because it was a “better fit”, and will talk about how her degree is “basically the same thing”. And when she is not portraying herself to be something she is not, she will spend her time signing her emails with a mile long list of credentials that are accumulated online or in a Holiday Inn conference center on the weekends.

She was 23 or 24, had a top 50 UG in engineering, ENFP, probably 95-99th percentile attractive for her age. Complained loudly to class about being evicted. Professor called her out for coming to class high, she broke down crying twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s quite the assumption. Not everyone who does a postbacc has “had some set backs.”
The demographics of people in my SMP is that they cratered their cGPA in UG, OR were just below competitive for my school and others (like cGPA 3.1). A decent number of these had a good SR year, or an upward trend in JR or SR year, so they hold promise.

Others had the above deficits, and a weak MCAT (or haven't taken the MCAT).

We get a fair number of locals who have "GoroCOM or bust" hopes from doing well in our SMP. They want to stay close to home.

Reactions: 1 users
I often wonder what produces the mentality behind this kind of behavior and if it is exclusive to the “pre-med” world, as I myself have never heard of such (or so many) cringe-worthy attempts to falsely portray ones current self in other areas of study.
The people I've encountered who pull that stuff have generally been really optimistic people, and I often wonder if they are trying to "The Secret" their way into medical school through the power of positive thinking. While positivity alone probably wouldn't hurt one's chances, this seems a little too close to woo for my comfort.

I tend to err on the side of pessimism, so...*shrug*

Reactions: 1 user
The demographics of people in my SMP is that they cratered their cGPA in UG, OR were just below competitive for my school and others (like cGPA 3.1). A decent number of these had a good SR year, or an upward trend in JR or SR year, so they hold promise.

Others had the above deficits, and a weak MCAT (or haven't taken the MCAT).

We get a fair number of locals who have "GoroCOM or bust" hopes from doing well in our SMP. They want to stay close to home.

I would assume the demographic of an SMP class and a standard postbacc (formal or self-directed) would likely be different. I could be wrong, but I'd think you'd have more career changers or just non-trads in a regular postbacc than an SMP.

Reactions: 2 users
This guy isn't a pre-med per se, but he was a bio major senior who worked in my lab one summer. I'd come back after a long break, over which I'd received my MCAT score, and my grad student asked me how I did in front of this new kid. I told her I was really happy with my score. New Kid says, "Ah, yeah, the MCAT. Might take that. Throw my hat in the ring, you know?"

As I talked to him over the rest of the summer, I gradually realized that this kid had no idea what he was doing. He said he was still considering grad school, med school, or getting a job. I realize that not everyone knows what they want to do in life, and I am strongly against close-mindedness when it comes to career goals, but as a senior in college, you should probably have some sort of idea of what you want to do and what that will entail? He said he'd be interested in grad school, but then didn't know about the GRE until we told him. No idea where he is now. I'm guessing he's applying for jobs, but I have a hard time believing he'll get any in his field.

I still love the nonchalance with which he said he'd "throw his hat in the ring." My lab mates and I still laugh about it. Possibly the most clueless person I've ever met. He also periodically would look down at his arms and study them appraisingly, which we found hilarious because they were really nothing to look at.

Reactions: 4 users
Somehow I picture someone like that as a dude. None of the female premeds I have ever known were like that lol.

Get out more lmao. Last year my roommate said that a girl living on the floor below us was bragging about being premed while stuggling to get Cs in chem 1 and math 101, which I think is high school algebra 2.

Last edited:
Get out more lmao. Last year my roommate said that a girl living on the floor below is was bragging about being premed while stuggling to get Cs in chem 1 and math 101, which I think is high school algebra 2.

I'm 34 with a wife and 2 kids. "Getting out" means I go to Chipotle once a week and the movies once a month.

Reactions: 27 users
Guilty!

When I started my PB journey to medschool, I purchased a domain: wwww.drmyname.com

Kept it a secret and didn't tell anyone. Renewed it every year but didn't last year. It was one of the ways I motivated myself...

Reactions: 8 users
Get out more lmao. Last year my roommate said that a girl living on the floor below us was bragging about being premed while stuggling to get Cs in chem 1 and math 101, which I think is high school algebra 2.
When I was a RA, one of my coworkers asked me to talk to her freshman resident, a young woman who was failing all 4 BCPM courses she had that semester (Literally 3 Fs and a D+ in Ecology). I talked to her about her goals and tried to help her establish a plan of action. The conversation went well enough until we started talking about those classes.

She dismissed my concern about her grades, saying "Listen. I know you think you know everything, but in 7 years when I'm getting my MD/PhD, I'll call you up and give you some advice."

Reactions: 9 users
I'm 34 with a wife and 2 kids. "Getting out" means I go to Chipotle once a week and the movies once a month.
That’s more than I make it out to eat haha! But I am one of few people who’s new year goals was “go out to restaurants more”

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had a jurisDOCTOR tell me this week I was too old... said that no school in their right mind would admit me because I'll be ... dead before the youngen's finish working :confused:

Glad to know he's aware of my 'termination' date or rather, 'date of expiration' - not that I want to know :roflcopter:

Reactions: 6 users
Had a jurisDOCTOR tell me this week I was too old... said that no school in their right mind would admit me because I'll be ... dead before the youngen's finishing working :confused:

Glad to know he's aware of my 'termination' date or rather, 'date of expiration' - not that I want to know :roflcopter:

My dad's friend is a cardiologist who started med school at 40. He finished fellowship at 50, which still gave him at least 15 years of practice. The "too old" argument is not a very good one except for certain fields and after a certain age, but for most people it's not too late.

The "too old" argument is not a very good one except for certain fields and after a certain age, but for most people it's not too late.
I found it funny that he emphasized he knew about med schools' admissions process because he has a jurisDOCTOR - he emphasized that :lol:

Then he went on to tell me about the admissions process :smack: (unbeknownst to me: you take the MCAT, you apply with an online application and wait to hear if you've been admitted :wow: .... oh, if only it were that easy... he did toss in that real people review the application)

I found a table from the AAMC before Wedgie posted it and it seems that most of the schools consider age last. Age should be considered in some capacity because frankly, older people DO learn differently and some... just can't keep up with the younger crowd but a friend of mine is an MS-3 an late 50's (hi Itsa - I'm alive and :thinking: <3) ... schools like Harvard, Yale, NYU (lol - laughing because of USNWR) won't admit me and I wouldn't/won't apply there...

Had a jurisDOCTOR tell me this week I was too old... said that no school in their right mind would admit me because I'll be ... dead before the youngen's finish working :confused:

You know, the further I go in this process, the more I see my age as an asset. I don’t think I could have handled med school right out of the gate. My perspective on life, death, the world around me...and myself...has changed so much since then. I would not have been ready for this journey early on.

Reactions: 9 users
Somehow I picture someone like that as a dude. None of the female premeds I have ever known were like that lol.

I don't think unmanaged inflation has anything to do with gender.

Bio 2 lab partner was much worse than Dr. Smith (future), but more covert. 37, living with parents, over 300, all failures were externalized, late to almost every lab, questionable hygiene, dismissed from one of his UGs for poor performance, was making a C+ in an easy-ish bio lecture.

Goal? Neurosurgery. Sneered in contempt when I told him I was applying jointly to MD/DO, said people from his culture don't apply DO.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a question! So med students tell me listing yourself as a med student on tinder gets you a ton of swipes!?!? Is this true? o_0 If no one knows.... I could sacrifice my body.... you know... for "science" ;DDDD

P.S. it will have to wait 5 months though... because I haven't matriculated yet.

I see my age as an asset.
Agree. In my 20's I was grieving (mother of SIDS infant), in my 30's I was raising a son by myself (and career took off; snobby, snotty) but in my 40's, life handed me yet another curve ball and I finally (?) grew up. Now seeing my 40's in the rear view mirror - well, tbh, I don't look back; only forward into whatever my next adventure is.

I have a question! So med students tell me listing yourself as a med student on tinder gets you a ton of swipes!?!? Is this true? o_0 If no one knows.... I could sacrifice my body.... you know... for "science" ;DDDD

P.S. it will have to wait 5 months though... because I haven't matriculated yet.

I'm glad you're willing to take one for the team. Your sacrifice won't be forgotten.

I think there are probably enough people who do a postbacc because they are changing careers or simply didn't realize they wanted to do medical school until they were almost done with their degree that you can't just assume.

But yes. Still gag-worthy.
I mean if you change careers just take the pre reqs/MCAT and apply. A 50K post bac doesn’t add anything else you need GPA help. So yeah...setbacks.

I don't think unmanaged inflation has anything to do with gender.

Bio 2 lab partner was much worse than Dr. Smith (future), but more covert. 37, living with parents, over 300, all failures were externalized, late to almost every lab, questionable hygiene, dismissed from one of his UGs for poor performance, was making a C+ in an easy-ish bio lecture.

Goal? Neurosurgery. Sneered in contempt when I told him I was applying jointly to MD/DO, said people from his culture don't apply DO.

Yeah, that's why I said that I pictured him as male because I've only experienced premeds like that who were male.

I mean if you change careers just take the pre reqs/MCAT and apply. A 50K post bac doesn’t add anything else you need GPA help. So yeah...setbacks.

That's what a self-directed postbacc is. The prereqs. So, no.

Edit: many formal postbaccs are structured that way too.

Last edited:

Can confirm as a right swiper on a few that otherwise I wouldnt have.
I should be slightly ashamed. Oh well. Maybe it actually makes me a better person cuz then its less judging of physicial attractiveness if I swipe right because I know they have a nice brain?

Can confirm as a right swiper on a few that otherwise I wouldnt have.
I should be slightly ashamed. Oh well. Maybe it actually makes me a better person cuz then its less judging of physicial attractiveness if I swipe right because I know they have a nice brain?

Unless it's because you know they're going to be making bank soon.

Reactions: 4 users
Not really a fair comparison as she actually was asked to participate in the experiment with the kids, and was quoted as saying, “I hope I do this right.” Liberals love to rag on her without actually knowing the context.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Better be careful. A jab at the left will get you a mod warning on this site.

Can't wait to surprise my spouse with how much debt we're going to be in when we get married! XD

A post-bacc is a program structured around the pre-reqs... at the university in my town you cannot take courses as a non-degree seeking student. You enroll in the post-bacc program.

I didn't realize there was so much confusion and stereotypes around post-baccs. I was enrolled with all career changers.

A post-bacc is a program structured around the pre-reqs... at the university in my town you cannot take courses as a non-degree seeking student. You enroll in the post-bacc program.

I didn't realize there was so much confusion and stereotypes around post-baccs. I was enrolled with all career changers.
I thought people who changed majors just did courses at their own university or community college?

I thought people who changed majors just did courses at their own university or community college?

It depends on how close to graduation you decide to switch. If it's right before, you're better off doing the post-bacc.

Also, if you've already graduated and joined the work force then decide on medicine you've gotta go post bacc.

Hmm that’s fair I guess.

This is a quote from one of my college professors when I was a pre-med. I took anthropology 101 with her when I was a freshman. A year later, I went to my her office as a college sophomore asking for a research opportunity and she basically gave me a 45 minute lecture saying how I was trying to "check off a box" to get into medical school and to "only focus on getting a 4.0 science GPA and 35+ on the MCAT" and that "An overseas school will consider a 29." (This was in 2010).

Then, she tried to act like an interviewer and asked me "So tell me why do you want to become a doctor?" And when I gave her my answer she was like "So why not nurse? Why not social worker?" And I just sat there like what the hell is going on right now. It's like she was a pre-med hungry tiger and couldn't wait to pounce on an unsuspecting pre-med.

Total BS. She didn't know anything about the medical school admissions process and damn near discouraged me from pursuing it until I found out more information and realized you don't need to be an automaton to get into med school and interviewers rarely grill you like this.

Last edited:
Also, if you've already graduated and joined the work force then decide on medicine you've gotta go post bacc.
No. I graduated in 1989 or so. 2.1 :D and that's being generous ;)

I did the ole DIY pre-reqs, post-bacc (same uni)... 3.97 all BCPM. No need to spend all that money on formalized program.

No. I graduated in 1989 or so. 2.1 :D and that's being generous ;)

I did the ole DIY pre-reqs, post-bacc (same uni)... 3.97 all BCPM. No need to spend all that money on formalized program.

That’s still a postbacc. Postbacc != formalized postbacc. Any undergrad courses you take after graduating are postbacc courses, hence the name post-baccalaureate.

That’s still a postbacc. Postbacc != formalized postbacc. Any undergrad courses you take after graduating are postbacc courses, hence the name post-baccalaureate.
Understood - the way the poster wrote, it appeared he said that anyone with post-ugrad experience/career changer/etc. MUST do a formalized post - bacc... wanted to clarify that is not true. :)

That's what going out means for me too.....except with friends instead of spouse and kids...I'm barely 20.

This is a quote from one of my college professors when I was a pre-med. I took anthropology 101 with her when I was a freshman. A year later, I went to my her office as a college sophomore asking for a research opportunity and she basically gave me a 45 minute lecture saying how I was trying to "check off a box" to get into medical school and to "only focus on getting a 4.0 science GPA and 35+ on the MCAT" and that "An overseas school will consider a 29." (This was in 2010).

Then, she tried to act like an interviewer and asked me "So tell me why do you want to become a doctor?" And when I gave her my answer she was like "So why not nurse? Why not social worker?" And I just sat there like what the hell is going on right now. It's like she was a pre-med hungry tiger and couldn't wait to pounce on an unsuspecting pre-med.

Total BS. She didn't know anything about the medical school admissions process and damn near discouraged me from pursuing it until I found out more information and realized you don't need to be an automaton to get into med school and interviewers rarely grill you like this.

I went through something similar with a pre med advisor. They told me that they reserve financial aid for those who stood a chance at getting into med school.....this was 2011.

Fast forward to 2018....I'm a newly matched and graduating 4th year medical student.

Reactions: 11 users
You guys, I'm sitting outside of my classroom trying to work on a psych research paper.

And these two girls are talking about how you need at least a 3.6 to 3.9 to get into med school and if you start off freshman/soph year with below a 3.8 you're screwed you should be going into junior year with a 3.9 because your grades are supposed to drop upperclassmen years. It's so ridiculous it's distracting me.

You guys, I'm sitting outside of my classroom trying to work on a psych research paper.

And these two girls are talking about how you need at least a 3.6 to 3.9 to get into med school and if you start off freshman/soph year with below a 3.8 you're screwed you should be going into junior year with a 3.9 because your grades are supposed to drop upperclassmen years. It's so ridiculous it's distracting me.

Headphones.

Headphones.
I more was making a point about how absurd their conversation was , rather than not being able to focus. I was eavesdropping a bit :oops:
The worst part is one of the girls was AA and talking about working two jobs to put herself through school and I'm , in my head, like, you can have below a 3.6 and still be super competitive...don't give up on yourself just yet...

Reactions: 7 users
The worst part is one of the girls was AA and talking about working two jobs to put herself through school ... you can have below a 3.6 and still be super competitive...don't give up on yourself just yet...
Since you were already invested in their conversation, why did you not advocate for her?

It's like you watched a car accident and then drove on by without helping.

Sometimes, people need to hear that it's going to be okay, to keep working hard and things will work out.

How to do that?

"I couldn't help overhear your gals' convo and thought I'd just pipe in my 2cp... keep working hard, keep doing what you're doing and it will pay off. Don't give up on yourself!" Then looking directly at the one who is working 2 jobs:

"I applaud you for doing far more than I could ever think ... what you're doing for you, to help you, is commendable. I find it hard to think a medical school out there won't see the same thing."

Their impression of you?! Awesome

Her hopes/drive? Increased

Since you were already invested in their conversation, why did you not advocate for her?

It's like you watched a car accident and then drove on by without helping.
I'm shy/more awkard IRL.
And they were so loud and I just didn't wanna be like " Ecc....excuse me....that's not true..."

I'm shy/more awkard IRL.
I am too but you are going to be a physician and need to overcome that shyness.

Helping someone - especially a fellow premed who thinks they are out of the game - will never hurt YOU. In fact, I dare say, that it will become natural for you to help others... and it would have been win-win :)