"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a premed friend who always asks me how I finished studying for the MCAT in just over a month. I tell him you just need to sit down and dedicate yourself to working on it.

He says he's been doing that but doesn't feel like he's improving.

I asked him how long he's been studying per day.

He tells me two hours, but he felt like he's about halfway ready for the MCAT.

I told him I understood, not everyone can be working on just MCAT prep all day. People need jobs, etc. Then I asked him how long he'd been studying for.

He told me daily 18 months.

This guy wanted to put 3 years into his MCAT prep.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I have a premed friend who always asks me how I finished studying for the MCAT in just over a month. I tell him you just need to sit down and dedicate yourself to working on it.

He says he's been doing that but doesn't feel like he's improving.

I asked him how long he's been studying per day.

He tells me two hours, but he felt like he's about halfway ready for the MCAT.

I told him I understood, not everyone can be working on just MCAT prep all day. People need jobs, etc. Then I asked him how long he'd been studying for.

If he gets a 528 I’d say it’s worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Ha! By then there would be a new new MCAT. :D

Reactions: 4 users
It’ll now be 16 hours long instead of 8, and you sleep in the test center overnight to make sure you don’t cheat.
What about First-night effect. I also can't sleep without my pillow and stuffed toys.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, they're adding an interpretive dance section.

I'm fine with it as long as it's interpretive dance. That means I can keep being bad at dancing and tell them that they're just interpreting it incorrectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
"I want to finish nursing then take a year off school then I want to go to medical school so that I can like go to Africa and fix cleft palates, and like I've heard from some doctors that volunteering isn't really important and one of my friends failed the MCAT and like still got in, so it'll be easy to get into plastics" - random nursing student.

Reactions: 7 users
"I want to finish nursing then take a year off school then I want to go to medical school so that I can like go to Africa and fix cleft palates, and like I've heard from some doctors that volunteering isn't really important and one of my friends failed the MCAT and like still got in, so it'll be easy to get into plastics" - random nursing student.

And like, this person won’t even make it thru nursing school.

Reactions: 2 users

Like, whatEVER.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Me: (basically) "our hometown is a piece of crap and if you're trying to articulate the disadvantages we have from growing up there when you apply to med school, let me know"
Dude a year younger than me in college: ((word for word)) "Thanks, I am still pre med and should get into a few schools. I'm probs gonna get my PhD first though.. I am a nursing and psych double major so my masters will focus on combing the two."

1- Why get a masters in nursing and then a doctorate in that or something else AND THEN go to medical school??
2 - How do you know you 'should get into a few schools' when you're YEARS from applying.

I think (hope) some people just don't know the difference between pre-med and pre-healthcare?

Reactions: 6 users
*Not a pre-med conversation but this one will be ingrained in my memories until my final days*

Like most parents, my mom bragged to her co-workers that I got into a program and when I met one of them the conversation went like this:

Them: Oh I hear you're going to medical school, that's great for you, what kind of field are you going to specialize in?
Me: Not sure yet, I'm interested in this and that but 4 years can change a lot of things so who really knows.
Them: Well you'll make a lot of money regardless but if you really want to do well you should further specialize in veterinary surgery, I heard its very lucrative.
Me (eyes wide open and a smile): Oh I had never considered that but I'll keep it in mind.

Reactions: 15 users
More clueless coworkers*

My moms coworker, a 50 year old who barely made it through nursing school 4 years ago and goes home two days a week because of her alcohol problem, told my mom “I am thinking I will take the MCAT too, I could probably do it” once she heard I scored really well. I took 3 years of prerequisites but since my moms kid can do above 90th percentile, apparently anyone can. My mom was not happy.

Reactions: 14 users
Overheard an interesting convo between two pre-meds today;

Premed 1: So you're a pre-med too huh? Is there any specific specialty that interests you?
Premed 2: Yeap. I will become a neurosurgeon from UCLA.
PM 1: Ahaa interesting...

... Later on in the convo after learning they're both sophomores...

PM 1: So have you taken the MCAT yet?
PM 2: Nah, but I want to take it at least twice.

... WHAT?!?

Overheard an interesting convo between two pre-meds today;

Premed 1: So you're a pre-med too huh? Is there any specific specialty that interests you?
Premed 2: Yeap. I will become a neurosurgeon from UCLA.
PM 1: Ahaa interesting...

... Later on in the convo after learning they're both sophomores...

PM 1: So have you taken the MCAT yet?
PM 2: Nah, but I want to take it at least twice.

... WHAT?!?
Oh jeez.. "I want to rip out all my fingernails twice -- I'll know how to do it better the second time around!"

Oh jeez.. "I want to rip out all my fingernails twice -- I'll know how to do it better the second time around!"

I feel you... I don't know the future UCLA neurosurgeon personally but he's in my class and he's been VERY vocal about becoming an MD in the aforementioned specialty.... Assuming he gets into a medical school, assuming he's still interested in neurosurgery, gets a good step score and is a competitive applicant, and assuming he matches... in UCLA's residency program (assuming they have one)! Definitely made my day:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
They may not be pre-meds but it’s just some common sense;
Me (with roommate): “Yea I’m taking the MCAT at the end of the semester.”
Roommate: “So what’s on the MCAT, is it like medicine and stuff?”
Me: thinking “If there were medicine on the MCAT, then why would I need to go to med school 0.o”

Reactions: 8 users
Today I told a family friend I'm taking STEP 1 tomorrow and they said, 'Oh for your Master's?' I said, 'Nah I'm studying medicine.'
'But you didn't even get your Master's yet?'
'Yeah, I went to medical school straight out of undergrad, guess I lucked out.'
'Oh everyone always told me that you have to do a Master's first and then you get to go to medical school.'

Today I told a family friend I'm taking STEP 1 tomorrow and they said, 'Oh for your Master's?' I said, 'Nah I'm studying medicine.'
'Oh everyone always told me that you have to do a Master's first and then you get to go to medical school.'
"Yea I'm in this really special program called 'The Traditional Path to Medicine'"

Reactions: 17 users
"Yea I'm in this really special program called 'The Traditional Path to Medicine'"
Technically, I think going straight out of undergrad (Without a gap year) is in the minority now, so I guess you could also call it "The Non-Traditional Path to Medicine", too.

Edit: It's a Schrödinger's cat of applications. They're both Traditional and Non-Traditional at the same time.

Last edited:

I had a patient of mine while I was still applying for school tell me that instead of going into med school right away, I should instead become an LPN first, then get my a RN, then NP or PA, and THEN go to medical school. I was just like, “Hmm, thanks for the advice!” and walked off.

I had a patient of mine while I was still applying for school tell me that instead of going into med school right away, I should instead become an LPN first, then get my a RN, then NP or PA, and THEN go to medical school. I was just like, “Hmm, thanks for the advice!” and walked off.
A friend had a NP tell them they should become an NP instead of MD. As a junior majoring in not nursing, that’ll set you back a nice 2-3 years. Good advice.

Recent conversation:

Premed friend: “I have a 3.65c right now. Do you think I’ll be alright?”
Me: “Well, 3.65 isn’t ideal, but you have explanations for that and stellar ECs. You’re fine!”
*a few weeks later*
PF: “I think I’m going to take a gap year and work on my GPA. It’ll give me some more time to study for the MCAT too.”
Me: “Well...yeah okay, I guess. That’s a reasonable idea. Make sure you do well on the MCAT.”
*a few weeks later*
PF: “I’m going to take enough hours during the gap year to make up to a 3.80sGPA.”
Me: “YOU’RE FINE.”
*a few weeks later*
PF: “I’ve been studying for the MCAT. I need like a 520. Do you think [prominent local state MD] will interview me with a 520?”

I didn’t reply.

Recent conversation:

Premed friend: “I have a 3.65c right now. Do you think I’ll be alright?”
Me: “Well, 3.65 isn’t ideal, but you have explanations for that and stellar ECs. You’re fine!”
*a few weeks later*
PF: “I think I’m going to take a gap year and work on my GPA. It’ll give me some more time to study for the MCAT too.”
Me: “Well...yeah okay, I guess. That’s a reasonable idea. Make sure you do well on the MCAT.”
*a few weeks later*
PF: “I’m going to take enough hours during the gap year to make up to a 3.80sGPA.”
Me: “YOU’RE FINE.”
*a few weeks later*
PF: “I’ve been studying for the MCAT. I need like a 520. Do you think [prominent local state MD] will interview me with a 520?”

I didn’t reply.
Sounds like every third person on this site though to be honest hahaha

Reactions: 16 users
This is a screen shot from this very thread, thought it was fitting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180417-210731_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180417-210731_Chrome.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 470
Of course the biased metric that is MCAT, GPA, and Extracurricular Activities.
GPA can be biased since it's not standardized school to school. The MCAT is the only true equalizer.

***toodles into med school with a 3.4***

but seriously, my premed advisor was shocked and appalled that my sGPA was lower than my cGPA, and that my cGPA was below a 3.8

but seriously, my premed advisor was shocked and appalled that my sGPA was lower than my cGPA, and that my cGPA was below a 3.8

Honestly, I’d be shocked if your sGPA wasn’t lower than your cGPA :thinking:

Maybe not appalled though :p

Reactions: 4 users

Pre-med advisors may be the most useless people I've ever met.

Pre-med advisors may be the most useless people I've ever met.
Just the majority of them. There are a few really great, knowledgeable advisors out there. I for one, would defend my premed advisor to the death.

Reactions: 9 users
I for one, would defend my premed advisor to the death.
Oh that's convenient, I was just going to tell you that you've been named Champion of your premed advisor in their trial by combat.

Reactions: 9 users
Oh that's convenient, I was just going to tell you that you've been named Champion of your premed advisor in their trial by combat.
I would, but you see... um... these things take a pretty long time to schedule... and um... I think I might be taking an oath to do no harm within the next four years...

so uh... you might need to find someone else.

I think I might be taking an oath to do no harm within the next four years...
No problem, we can schedule it for Tuesday! Please bring your own gauze, and we apologize for any dismemberment.

My only bone to pick with premed advisers is that it is their JOB to direct premeds and many are willfully ignorant and discouraging with no real reason to be. I mean its not like they are military recruiters that have some intrinsic bias.

Honestly, I’d be shocked if your sGPA wasn’t lower than your cGPA :thinking:
Maybe not appalled though :p
I would also like to point out that he had been my advisor for 4 years, my sGPA was always lower than my cGPA, and this was my final meeting my senior year at the conclusion of which he told me that even 2-3 gap years might not make my app "good enough"

I LITERALLY LAUGHED OUT LOUD

I would, but you see... um... these things take a pretty long time to schedule... and um... I think I might be taking an oath to do no harm within the next four years...
so uh... you might need to find someone else.
You committed buddy, you better call up any medieval connections, buy a horse, and hope you have an intrinsic gift for jousting (I assume it's a jousting trial)

Reactions: 1 user
My family owns a restaurant and there's an overzealous 16 year-old who works there and wants to be a surgeon, who once told me after finding out that I was applying to medical school this year, "I know you're 24 but I just want to get my life started early." Okayyyyyyy..... anyways, I asked her what she was considering for her undergrad major and this is how the conversation went:

Me: What do you want to major in once you're in college?
16 y/o: Surgery.
Me: You don't major in surgery in undergrad... I mean technically you don't even major in surgery when you're in medical school?
16 y/o: Oh, well I guess business, because I could never be a nurse!

:smack: I just ended the conversation there because I didn't have enough patience to keep going. Maybe I should give her the benefit of the doubt since she's a teenager, she'll learn.... hopefully.

Reactions: 7 users
My family owns a restaurant and there's an overzealous 16 year-old who works there and wants to be a surgeon, who once told me after finding out that I was applying to medical school this year, "I know you're 24 but I just want to get my life started early." Okayyyyyyy..... anyways, I asked her what she was considering for her undergrad major and this is how the conversation went:

Me: What do you want to major in once you're in college?
16 y/o: Surgery.
Me: You don't major in surgery in undergrad... I mean technically you don't even major in surgery when you're in medical school?
16 y/o: Oh, well I guess business, because I could never be a nurse!

:smack: I just ended the conversation there because I didn't have enough patience to keep going. Maybe I should give her the benefit of the doubt since she's a teenager, she'll learn.... hopefully.

I’m so confused