"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My family owns a restaurant and there's an overzealous 16 year-old who works there and wants to be a surgeon, who once told me after finding out that I was applying to medical school this year, "I know you're 24 but I just want to get my life started early." Okayyyyyyy..... anyways, I asked her what she was considering for her undergrad major and this is how the conversation went:

Me: What do you want to major in once you're in college?
16 y/o: Surgery.
Me: You don't major in surgery in undergrad... I mean technically you don't even major in surgery when you're in medical school?
16 y/o: Oh, well I guess business, because I could never be a nurse!

:smack: I just ended the conversation there because I didn't have enough patience to keep going. Maybe I should give her the benefit of the doubt since she's a teenager, she'll learn.... hopefully.

When I was 16.... I wasn’t a *******.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Although I am a pre-med/nursing student myself at the moment I have heard some strange things from fellow pre-med students.

One girl told me that it was her dream to go to a Caribbean school because they have the best medical schools. Even after I explained to her the problems with Caribbean schools she was still convinced they were the best.

The same girl also told me that she would rather work in a fast food restaurant than have to go into family medicine.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My brother: "I have spoken to many pre-meds and pre-nurse and Ethics is a course requirement for medical school."

Reactions: 1 users
Bus driver talks to the friendly M2 most afternoons for 10 minutes as he drives, thinks he knows a lot about med school. He found out I was accepted and asked if I was going to finish a bachelors degree, and was shocked to learn its requiring, asking me if it was 3-4 times if having a bachelors was required. “Yes, at 99% of programs in the US” was not a good enough answer. 1- do you want people to be less educated 2- do you think I want to do more school that what’s required or I was not told the requirement?

Reactions: 3 users
Bus driver talks to the friendly M2 most afternoons for 10 minutes as he drives, thinks he knows a lot about med school. He found out I was accepted and asked if I was going to finish a bachelors degree, and was shocked to learn its requiring, asking me if it was 3-4 times if having a bachelors was required. “Yes, at 99% of programs in the US” was not a good enough answer. 1- do you want people to be less educated 2- do you think I want to do more school that what’s required or I was not told the requirement?

Wait...what is the 1% that doesn't require a bachelor's?

Tx medschools do not necessarily require a B.A.

"Baccalaureate degrees are highly desirable. However, exceptionally mature students without a degree, who have outstanding academic records, superior performance on the respective admissions test and highly desirable personal qualifications may be considered for admission."

TMDSAS Medical: Education Requirements

Although I am a pre-med/nursing student myself at the moment I have heard some strange things from fellow pre-med students.

One girl told me that it was her dream to go to a Caribbean school because they have the best medical schools. Even after I explained to her the problems with Caribbean schools she was still convinced they were the best.

The same girl also told me that she would rather work in a fast food restaurant than have to go into family medicine.

If she's going to the Caribbean, she'll only have those 2 options: Family Med (if she's lucky) or McDonald's.

Since McDonald's > Family Med, someone should inform her that she can match McDonald's right out of college and save herself 4 years and 300k.

Reactions: 18 users
If she's going to the Caribbean, she'll only have those 2 options: Family Med (if she's lucky) or McDonald's.

Since McDonald's > Family Med, someone should inform her that she can match McDonald's right out of college and save herself 4 years and 300k.
That makes... way more sense than it should.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tx medschools do not necessarily require a B.A.

"Baccalaureate degrees are highly desirable. However, exceptionally mature students without a degree, who have outstanding academic records, superior performance on the respective admissions test and highly desirable personal qualifications may be considered for admission."

TMDSAS Medical: Education Requirements

This honestly just confirms to me that Texas is incredibly weird

She can match McDonald’s right after sophomore year in high school.

Reactions: 5 users

When I was applying in 2005, plenty of schools did not require a bachelors (per the MSAR....which was a printed book back then). Many just requires x number of credits (~90?) and the prerequisites.

Reactions: 4 users
I know of a school (in the Midwest, not TX) with an early admission program that lets in 1-2 people at the end of their junior year of a bachelors who meet the programs mission well and have great grades.

When I was applying in 2005, plenty of schools did not require a bachelors (per the MSAR....which was a printed book back then). Many just requires x number of credits (~90?) and the prerequisites.
Hmm neat, did not know that it used to be that way!

I would guess the majority of schools still required a bachelors, but it was a pretty significant minority that did not require it.

Honestly, I think even though a significant minority did not technically require it, it was still a defacto requirement for essentially everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
It's actually not a minority of schools that don't require a bachelor's. Most schools don't require one source:msar 2016. However, in practice, youre gonna have to finish that degree to actually start med school.

Thought it was pretty weird when I started to see this a lot while applying . It's possible things have changed and/or just most of the schools I applied to didn't "require" it

You could also match McDonald's right out of GED. Might as well save the 50-200k on undergrad. I hear you only need a step one score of 12.

The saddest thing is when you see someone who came in and felt the need to announce their premed dreams to the world and wrote long posts about how they were going to fix everything when they're a doctor... One semester later = pre dent... 2 semesters later = no longer prehealth...

Today I was leaving the chem lab as these two grad students were getting in the elevator and all I heard was:
"This pretentious little pre-med c*** " before the elevator closed, but now I'm dying to hear what this person did.

Last edited:
The saddest thing is when you see someone who came in and felt the need to announce their premed dreams to the world and wrote long posts about how they were going to fix everything when they're a doctor... One semester later = pre dent... 2 semesters later = no longer prehealth...

A moment of silence for another body added to the mass grave that is "Pre-Med" RIP

Today I was leaving the chem lab as these two grad students were getting in the elevator and all I heard was:
"This pretentious little pre-med c*** " before the elevator closed, but not I'm dying to hear what this person did.
Probably said something to the effect of "I bet you couldn't get into med school so you settled on getting your masters." I can't tell you the number of grad students that have told me a pre-med said that to them.

Probably said something to the effect of "I bet you couldn't get into med school so you settled on getting your masters." I can't tell you the number of grad students that have told me a pre-med said that to them.

Except also grad students often have to supervise premeds in the labs they work in. We have an awful premed student in my lab who we all hate, and I can see a conversation about him starting like that. He thinks he knows more than all of us, including the actual grad students and even our postdoc and sometimes even our PI. I could honestly just have a whole post about him...

But man, would I have liked to hear the rest of that conversation. Sometimes I feel bad for hating on pre-meds because technically I am one, but also, there are pre-meds and then there are pre-meds.

I could honestly just have a whole post about him...
0ade7246962f4f35ffe81573f96a37548c2a2753533a227c266ee53a3670e1ba.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
To continue with the ranting. The premeds that feel the need to tell you all their grades and then expect you to tell them yours in return and you're just like um it was ok and they don't get the hint and ask you more specifically then you're forced to tell them it's none of their business...

To continue with the ranting. The premeds that feel the need to tell you all their grades and then expect you to tell them yours in return and you're just like um it was ok and they don't get the hint and ask you more specifically then you're forced to tell them it's none of their business...

Yep. Definitely know a couple who will tell me their grades and expect a specific answer in return. When I don’t give it to them, they flat out ask. I usually just say that I don’t recall the exact number, but some kind of A (or whatever).

Yep. Definitely know a couple who will tell me their grades and expect a specific answer in return. When I don’t give it to them, they flat out ask. I usually just say that I don’t recall the exact number, but some kind of A (or whatever).

You should just tell them you failed everything. I think I'ma try that in the future. A couple people asked me my MCAT back when I took it and I just told them it went well. I wish I had said I got like a 495 or something with a very excited voice just to mess with them lol.

You should just tell them you failed everything. I think I'ma try that in the future. A couple people asked me my MCAT back when I took it and I just told them it went well. I wish I had said I got like a 495 or something with a very excited voice just to mess with them lol.

I don’t talk about my FL scores except for with one person who is my lab partner in every lab and my study partner. She’s the only person from my cohort who will know my actual MCAT lol.

lol there's so much about this guy, because I've known him for so long and at such close quarters in lab. I just wrote this whole long post, but it was a wall of text so even though this post is long, it's actually about half as long as what spewed out when I started thinking about this guy. I'll probably mention him again in this thread. I'll call him PPMC because "pretentious pre-med c***" is a great description of this guy.

Alright, some background. We're the same year, although I've been working in the lab for longer. We are actually both going to be attending the same medical school :)barf:) this fall, so RIP me I guess. This guy has been problematic since day 1. He doesn't listen to what the grad students tell him, he acts like he knows better than us, when someone explains something to him, he never responds "ok," instead he always says, "well, but as far as I know, shouldn't we do it this way?" We originally thought he was a misogynist because he did it to all of the women in our lab, but then when he started working with the single male in our lab, he did it to him too, so he's an equal opportunity jerk, which is better, I guess.
  • PPMC liked asking me how I was doing in biochem every time he saw me even though I told him I wasn't doing so well (so in the same vein as the premeds freedoctor and foxy just referred to), but joke's on him, because I didn't have to re-take the MCAT like he did.
  • I got into medical school through an early acceptance program in sophomore year, so this year when he mentioned interviews during lab meeting, my PI was like, "hey, why don't you ask dragon for help, she's obviously been successful at med school interviews in the past!" and he looked like he'd been asked to swallow a frog.
  • He just cannot take criticism, at all. Like he's not one of those harmful, cutthroat premeds, he just seems to have low self-esteem that requires constant affirmation, and he gets defensive at the slightest criticism. I'm just like, "good luck, dude. If you can't take constructive criticism from these really nice people in undergrad, have fun dealing with med school and residency, where a lot of people won't bother pulling any punches."
  • So last year, I signed up for an undergrad poster conference on campus; I had never made a poster before, so I went to the communal office to ask one of the grad students about making a poster. She gave me some solid advice and said, "Here, I'll send you a poster that I presented at one of the conferences I went to last year." PPMC is also in the office. He calls me over and goes, "Dragon, I overheard you talking to [grad student]. I have a poster that I made for my honors chem lab last year for our final project, and I think it could be really helpful. I got a really good grade on it. What's your email address, I'll send it to you." He was honestly trying to help, but he acted as though his little class project poster was equivalent to the poster that a 5th year PhD student had presented at a national conference. This is so common with him. He just thinks he knows more than everyone.
lol sorry if that was long. This isn't even everything. The problem with PPMC is that he isn't a bad person per se, he's just really bad at social cues, seems to have very few friends, is a gunner, and has low self-esteem coupled with this weird egotism. He wants to be friends with all of us, and we try to be nice, but it's so hard to be nice to someone as annoying as him. So then I feel bad hating him. And it's difficult to explain to people why I hate him so much. He's one of those people you just have to know to really dislike, but if you guys knew him, I am 99% sure you would hate him too. He just rubs people the wrong way. We got a new grad student and she jumped on the PPMC-hating wagon within 2 weeks of joining.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

FIFY
I wish I had said I got a 495 and am a shoo-in for Harvard just to mess with them lol.

A 'friend' texted to ask me how I did because "her friend was applying next year and wanted to know" while she knew I was at a Katy Perry concert. It's not always awful, but some people can be extra rude about it.

PPMC liked asking me how I was doing in biochem every time he saw me even though I told him I wasn't doing so well (so in the same vein as the premeds freedoctor and foxy just referred to), but joke's on him, because I didn't have to re-take the MCAT like he did.

Sounds like an asshat. The guy I’m referring to only asks the people who are typically at the top of the class so he can see if he’s number 1.

I don’t talk about my FL scores except for with one person who is my lab partner in every lab and my study partner. She’s the only person from my cohort who will know my actual MCAT lol.
Why so secretive? It's just a silly test. In your case, the score doesn't even matter, does it?

Why so secretive? It's just a silly test. In your case, the score doesn't even matter, does it?

It matters a little in that a poor score can keep us out of USUHS. I don’t like sharing my grades. There’s no reason to beyond “I did well” or “I could have done better.”

I had a bio lab partner who was majoring in "pre-med" and "pre-law" at a university that didn't have either of those as an actual major. He couldn't make up his mind so he was just doing both and decide after ug which one he was going to pursue.

He is now is a business grad school program.

He doesn't listen to what the grad students tell him, he acts like he knows better than us, when someone explains something to him, he never responds "ok," instead he always says, "well, but as far as I know, shouldn't we do it this way?"

He’s going to be a favorite when it comes time for rotations and residency. :D

Last edited:
lol there's so much about this guy, because I've known him for so long and at such close quarters in lab. I just wrote this whole long post, but it was a wall of text so even though this post is long, it's actually about half as long as what spewed out when I started thinking about this guy. I'll probably mention him again in this thread. I'll call him PPMC because "pretentious pre-med c***" is a great description of this guy.

Alright, some background. We're the same year, although I've been working in the lab for longer. We are actually both going to be attending the same medical school :)barf:) this fall, so RIP me I guess. This guy has been problematic since day 1. He doesn't listen to what the grad students tell him, he acts like he knows better than us, when someone explains something to him, he never responds "ok," instead he always says, "well, but as far as I know, shouldn't we do it this way?" We originally thought he was a misogynist because he did it to all of the women in our lab, but then when he started working with the single male in our lab, he did it to him too, so he's an equal opportunity jerk, which is better, I guess.
  • PPMC liked asking me how I was doing in biochem every time he saw me even though I told him I wasn't doing so well (so in the same vein as the premeds freedoctor and foxy just referred to), but joke's on him, because I didn't have to re-take the MCAT like he did.
  • I got into medical school through an early acceptance program in sophomore year, so this year when he mentioned interviews during lab meeting, my PI was like, "hey, why don't you ask dragon for help, she's obviously been successful at med school interviews in the past!" and he looked like he'd been asked to swallow a frog.
  • He just cannot take criticism, at all. Like he's not one of those harmful, cutthroat premeds, he just seems to have low self-esteem that requires constant affirmation, and he gets defensive at the slightest criticism. I'm just like, "good luck, dude. If you can't take constructive criticism from these really nice people in undergrad, have fun dealing with med school and residency, where a lot of people won't bother pulling any punches."
  • So last year, I signed up for an undergrad poster conference on campus; I had never made a poster before, so I went to the communal office to ask one of the grad students about making a poster. She gave me some solid advice and said, "Here, I'll send you a poster that I presented at one of the conferences I went to last year." PPMC is also in the office. He calls me over and goes, "Dragon, I overheard you talking to [grad student]. I have a poster that I made for my honors chem lab last year for our final project, and I think it could be really helpful. I got a really good grade on it. What's your email address, I'll send it to you." He was honestly trying to help, but he acted as though his little class project poster was equivalent to the poster that a 5th year PhD student had presented at a national conference. This is so common with him. He just thinks he knows more than everyone.
lol sorry if that was long. This isn't even everything. The problem with PPMC is that he isn't a bad person per se, he's just really bad at social cues, seems to have very few friends, is a gunner, and has low self-esteem coupled with this weird egotism. He wants to be friends with all of us, and we try to be nice, but it's so hard to be nice to someone as annoying as him. So then I feel bad hating him. And it's difficult to explain to people why I hate him so much. He's one of those people you just have to know to really dislike, but if you guys knew him, I am 99% sure you would hate him too. He just rubs people the wrong way. We got a new grad student and she jumped on the PPMC-hating wagon within 2 weeks of joining.
Wow I know someone exactly like this. I would've thought they were the same person if you hadn't mentioned that they were going to med school already. The person I know also has a bit of a condescending/sometimes cruel tinge to their voice. The difference is many people have actually talked to this person about their issues and it's like there's a shield preventing it from reaching their ears.

Wow I know someone exactly like this. I would've thought they were the same person if you hadn't mentioned that they were going to med school already. The person I know also has a bit of a condescending/sometimes cruel tinge to their voice. The difference is many people have actually talked to this person about their issues and it's like there's a shield preventing it from reaching their ears.

I know someone who has an extremely condescending tone to his voice in every interaction I’ve seen him have with anyone. I’m not sure that he’s actually a condescending person though. He just comes across that way because of the way he speaks.

I know someone who has an extremely condescending tone to his voice in every interaction I’ve seen him have with anyone. I’m not sure that he’s actually a condescending person though. He just comes across that way because of the way he speaks.
I can hear the "ACTUALLY...." from here

I can hear the "ACTUALLY...." from here

He actually (irony) never says that. He will kind of go, “Ahh, well,” with this inflection like he’s responding to a child, then give a little laugh like what you said is so dumb it’s amusing. I never talk to him, but I hear him do it to everyone.

He actually (irony) never says that. He will kind of go, “Ahh, well,” with this inflection like he’s responding to a child, then give a little laugh like what you said is so dumb it’s amusing. I never talk to him, but I hear him do it to everyone.
I wonder if he used to say "actually" a lot and then someone said, "You know, you say 'actually' a lot."