"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That was basically most of my nights on call with my junior residents

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You almost made me spit out my hot chocolate onto my keyboard!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Reactions: 8 users
Maybe if he wasn’t so insufferable, he’d have more likes.
Ehhhh.... I stand by everything I have stated throughout my entire time here. Georgetown Admissions department sucks and MCAT score is correlated with how well you score in medical school and beyond on tests. I am willing to die on those hills, no matter what the people with lower MCAT scores try to say.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ehhhh.... I stand by everything I have stated throughout my entire time here. Georgetown Admissions department sucks and MCAT score is correlated with how well you score in medical school and beyond on tests. I am willing to die on those hills, no matter what the people with lower MCAT scores try to say.

I agree with both of those things. It’s possible to agree with someone’s argument while disliking their delivery.

(Also my MCAT score is pretty high, but while I agree that it correlates with success, I agree with others that once you hit a certain benchmark it’s mostly gravy above that.)

Reactions: 1 users
It’s possible to agree with someone’s argument while disliking their delivery.

I'm 4 decades old. I've helped run political campaigns for city council and won elections for myself and others. I've also been heavily involved in many different social constructs.

I've found that there is a certain form of social mannerisms that have been prescribed to anybody in medicine. There is a correct way to act, correct way to do things, etc, etc. I've also found that the real world, in medicine and not in medicine, doesn't work that way and those people don't get ahead in life. They don't get the jobs, they don't get the promotions, and they are not liked.

Basically I'm trying to say that what you are taught and expected socially in medicine is not always best. Sometimes you need to read the room and figure it out and it might be best.

In real life I have done almost exactly what I have done here in this forum. 70% of the people like me, 20% hate me, and 10% don't care. Most other people have a 20% like, 5% hate, and 75% don't care. And it has gotten me quite far.

So take this advice how you want to, but the best choice is not always to be an uptight prick.

I'm 4 decades old. I've helped run political campaigns for city council and won elections for myself and others. I've also been heavily involved in many different social constructs.

I've found that there is a certain form of social mannerisms that have been prescribed to anybody in medicine. There is a correct way to act, correct way to do things, etc, etc. I've also found that the real world, in medicine and not in medicine, doesn't work that way and those people don't get ahead in life. They don't get the jobs, they don't get the promotions, and they are not liked.

Basically I'm trying to say that what you are taught and expected socially in medicine is not always best. Sometimes you need to read the room and figure it out and it might be best.

In real life I have done almost exactly what I have done here in this forum. 70% of the people like me, 20% hate me, and 10% don't care. Most other people have a 20% like, 5% hate, and 75% don't care. And it has gotten me quite far.

So take this advice how you want to, but the best choice is not always to be an uptight prick.

Lmao cool story dude.

Reactions: 13 users
Dynamics of going to an undergrad with virtually no pre-med visibility:
Con- 99% of the uninformed statements have been mine
Pro- No one around me knew how wrong I was

Reactions: 12 users
Dynamics of going to an undergrad with virtually no pre-med visibility:
Con- 99% of the uninformed statements have been mine
Pro- No one around me knew how wrong I was
I went to one of those. It was like the blind leading the blind.

Longtime lurker, figured I'd share a few stories..

There's one premed who is in the same major as me and is decently smart, but incredibly obnoxious and thinks he's always the most intelligent person in the room. Has been convinced that he'll do MD/PhD and specialize in neurosurgery since pretty much day 1. Both of those things are technically possible, but I don't think this person really understands what MD/PhDs do all day? (This person also had a very easy stats class with me, spent half the semester giving me unsolicited advice on my math and the other half copying my answers, so I don't have much sympathy).

Second one was unfortunately me..
Me, in the middle of studying for the MCAT: Wow, I can't believe how expensive this test prep is! Can't wait for it to be over.
Premed in the middle of cycle: Yeah, I've already spent $4000 on the application cycle so far [October].
Me: [jaw nearly making contact with the floor] How many schools did you apply to?
Premed: 18 (or some other very normal number)
I remember inwardly thinking that I would never spend that much money and I'd figure out a way to get through this for cheaper... How naive I was.

Reactions: 9 users
Might not be a future doctor if she doesn't break a 500

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A former WashU student know told me he studied the day before the mcat and got a 503, applied twice and still wonders why he wasn’t accepted. I told him to look into DO and he didn’t know What DO was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might not be a future doctor if she doesn't break a 500

I hate the term “future doctor” or “future engineer” or “future” anything. Earn the damn title, then use it all you want. I did a BA/MD program with a guaranteed acceptance, so I could have done the “future doctor” thing at 17. But it just really irks me. I didn’t even call myself an orthopedist in residency, because I wasn’t one yet.

I hate the term “future doctor” or “future engineer” or “future” anything. Earn the damn title, then use it all you want. I did a BA/MD program with a guaranteed acceptance, so I could have done the “future doctor” thing at 17. But it just really irks me. I didn’t even call myself an orthopedist in residency, because I wasn’t one yet.

I don't even like to tell people I'm accepted to med school/that I'm a premed. When they ask me what i do i just tell them my major haha.

Reactions: 2 users

I barely call myself doctor now that I am one. It was fun for the first few months to let it come up in casual conversation. After the second or third time of someone asking for medical advice, I became quieter about it.

Reactions: 4 users

Attending introduced me to a patient as “Student Physician” today and I cringed.

But you know I ain’t gonna correct an attending. :bookworm:

Ok, not from a student but I was looking over a med school’s admissions page and :laugh: at this...

Along with your secondary application, please submit a current, wallet-sized photo of yourself for identification purposes. Print your name and AMCAS ID on the back.

Now think ... Right or wrong your photo introduces you to strangers and makes a lasting impression, so consider investing in a little quality. Your call.

God only knows what they’ve seen.... :confused: Photo booth strips?

A coworker of mine: “All med schools care about is the fact that you get at least a 500”

Same coworker 5 min later....

“If you’re waitlisted just call them like every week to show interest”

I barely call myself doctor now that I am one. It was fun for the first few months to let it come up in casual conversation. After the second or third time of someone asking for medical advice, I became quieter about it.

So how do you handle something like this? Do you just give general advice? Has anyone asked you to look at something on their body?

A former WashU student know told me he studied the day before the mcat and got a 503, applied twice and still wonders why he wasn’t accepted. I told him to look into DO and he didn’t know What DO was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, not from a student but I was looking over a med school’s admissions page and :laugh: at this... God only knows what they’ve seen.... :confused: Photo booth strips?
AMCAS ID: 12345
AD2B OLDHAG
marv_popeyesmom.jpg

So how do you handle something like this? Do you just give general advice? Has anyone asked you to look at something on their body?

I explain that since I’m not their physician and don’t have access to their full history/chart, that I can’t give an informed opinion. Then I always follow up with the caveat that if they have concerns, they should follow up with their own physician. If the person’s complaint sounds like it could be serious, I let them know that I think it’s important to follow up, as it could be something serious.

Reactions: 1 user
This girl in my Chem lab tried to tell me I was wrong about extracurriculars one time. I told her I changed my major to History/Pre-Med recently and she was like, "you need paid clinical experience" and I said "Im volunteering at a hospital ED 6+ hours a week, Ill be fine." And she was like "Noooo, they wont accept that since it is not patient contact!". Our chem lab prof came by and heard us talking and affirmed my argument, lol. She actually thought you couldnt get into med school unless you work as an EMT or MA or CNA, etc.

Also, people seem to always question my major (History) as not being a traditional pre-med major.

This girl in my Chem lab tried to tell me I was wrong about extracurriculars one time. I told her I changed my major to History/Pre-Med recently and she was like, "you need paid clinical experience" and I said "Im volunteering at a hospital ED 6+ hours a week, Ill be fine." And she was like "Noooo, they wont accept that since it is not patient contact!". Our chem lab prof came by and heard us talking and affirmed my argument, lol. She actually thought you couldnt get into med school unless you work as an EMT or MA or CNA, etc.

Also, people seem to always question my major (History) as not being a traditional pre-med major.
Jokes on them because in my experience non-science majors are well-received by adcoms and a common interview topic that's really easy to talk about

Reactions: 13 users

Math/stats and humanities majors do the best on the MCAT and a higher percentage of us get into med school, so joke’s on them.

Reactions: 7 users
Math/stats and humanities majors do the best on the MCAT and a higher percentage of us get into med school, so joke’s on them.

There’s just a lot less of these majors that apply but more do well in terms of percentage. Most of any given med school class is mostly bio majors guaranteed.

There’s just a lot less of them.

We also take a lot fewer science courses prior to taking the MCAT and yet somehow manage to do better than all hard science majors. There are a lot fewer physics and chem majors than bio majors too, but we still do better. Self selection can only explain so much.

We’re just the best. QED.

:p

Whatever boosts your ego...?

We also take a lot fewer science courses prior to taking the MCAT and yet somehow manage to do better than all hard science majors. There are a lot fewer physics and chem majors than bio majors too, but we still do better. Self selection can only explain so much.

Never underestimate the power of reading comprehension...

Reactions: 10 users
According to the AAMC chart, humanities majors scored around a point higher mean than bio majors in both matriculants and applicants. Unless I am reading that wrong.

Yeah bio majors do the worst on the MCAT on average, but math and physical science majors do better than humanities majors. I figured if we are going to speculate about silly things, we might as well start with good data and make things up from there ;p

Yeah bio majors do the worst on the MCAT on average, but math and physical science majors do better than humanities majors. I figured if we are going to speculate about silly things, we might as well start with good data and make things up from there ;p

We should actually probably just get back on topic lol.

I was talking to a girl who applied this cycle and did not receive any interviews. I asked her if she applied DO and she said no. I asked if she would be a DO (assuming she is good enough to get in) rather than apply MD for a third time. She said apply for a third time because she needs to be a MD because she wants to be a CT surgeon. Given we do work in a heart surgery clinic but still...

I was talking to a girl who applied this cycle and did not receive any interviews. I asked her if she applied DO and she said no. I asked if she would be a DO (assuming she is good enough to get in) rather than apply MD for a third time. She said apply for a third time because she needs to be a MD because she wants to be a CT surgeon. Given we do work in a heart surgery clinic but still...

Hard to be a CT surgeon if you can’t get into medical school. I feel bad for people like this who are so misinformed and delusional.

Reactions: 12 users

Wow, kind of sad for her.

DO could easily lead to CT surgery. Integrated is competitive, but fellowship off of general surgery is much more reasonable. There's no reason a DO can't match into a respectable gen surg program, and then land the fellowship :/

Not to mention having to apply 3 times is still more time than just doing DO originally and 5 years Gen Surg + 3 year fellowship, vs MD after 3 years and maybe getting a 6 year integrated. Very sad

Reactions: 2 users
So I go to Auburn University and I took a weekend trip to Nashville a couple weekends ago. While waiting to get into a pancake place we saw a high school girl wearing an Auburn scarf so we decided to tap on her shoulder and say war eagle. We got to talking with the family and we told them how we both went to auburn and decided to make a weekend trip. The Dad starts talking about how when the daughter graduates in a year she wants to go to Auburn and then this happened.
Me: That’s so exciting you’re going to love it there. It’s truly one of the most amazing places on earth. Have you decided on a major?
She then gives me the dirtiest look and proceeds to say.
Her: I’m only going there to do my pre requisites for medical school. I shouldn’t be there long.
Me: Um. Well with auburn you have to pick a major and emphasize in pre med. I’m personally a biomedical science major with an emphasis in pre med.
Her: I don’t think I have to do that. I should be there two years tops.
Me: Hmm. Well some of the classes you need to take the MCAT is 5 semesters alone.
Her: what’s the MCAT?
Me: Its the enterence exam for medical school! You take it when you’re a junior usually and it’s roughly a 7 hour test.

I’ve never seen someone’s eyes get so big. I think becoming a doctor isnt as easy as she thought. Her mom then pulled me aside and asked me 101 questions about the process. Then they ended up sitting right next to us and the daughter easedropped on our conversation the whole time. The mom was so sweet but please someone give this girl a reality check

Reactions: 18 users
So I go to Auburn University and I took a weekend trip to Nashville a couple weekends ago. While waiting to get into a pancake place we saw a high school girl wearing an Auburn scarf so we decided to tap on her shoulder and say war eagle. We got to talking with the family and we told them how we both went to auburn and decided to make a weekend trip. The Dad starts talking about how when the daughter graduates in a year she wants to go to Auburn and then this happened.
Me: That’s so exciting you’re going to love it there. It’s truly one of the most amazing places on earth. Have you decided on a major?
She then gives me the dirtiest look and proceeds to say.
Her: I’m only going there to do my pre requisites for medical school. I shouldn’t be there long.
Me: Um. Well with auburn you have to pick a major and emphasize in pre med. I’m personally a biomedical science major with an emphasis in pre med.
Her: I don’t think I have to do that. I should be there two years tops.
Me: Hmm. Well some of the classes you need to take the MCAT is 5 semesters alone.
Her: what’s the MCAT?
Me: Its the enterence exam for medical school! You take it when you’re a junior usually and it’s roughly a 7 hour test.

I’ve never seen someone’s eyes get so big. I think becoming a doctor isnt as easy as she thought. Her mom then pulled me aside and asked me 101 questions about the process. Then they ended up sitting right next to us and the daughter easedropped on our conversation the whole time. The mom was so sweet but please someone give this girl a reality check
Lol does she not realize she needs a bachelors degree?

Reactions: 7 users
"I don't really think the MCAT is something you can study for" -premed who is retaking the MCAT in 3 weeks

:whoa:

Reactions: 14 users