"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah, I just got the MLT. The credits are designed with no syllabi attached and are all classes that are normally upper division (but obviously are Lower division for an AS). Because of this, I could not transfer them to any school and tuition for the MLS at GWU was $40,000 for reserves....only $4500 for active duty, which I would have hands down done. But oh well, I finish up my BS in biotech/premed next year so meh.

you can challenge the ASCP MLS cert with your MLT and your prereques from premed and work experience. My B.A is in an liberal art but from what credits I got from my AS in lab and classes I took to be able to apply to med school I was able to take the test. Not sure if it does anything for my career as a future doctor though

Members don't see this ad.

you can challenge the ASCP MLS cert with your MLT and your prereques from premed and work experience. My B.A is in an liberal art but from what credits I got from my AS in lab and classes I took to be able to apply to med school I was able to take the test. Not sure if it does anything for my career as a future doctor though
Nah, probably not. I know I can, but I have no interest in the MLS cert. I already make $31 an hour as a lab manager during my undergrad - but I came back to school to get out of the lab. It is that same pride making me not take a gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah i know people who did that program. Its basically an SMP with linkage though its super competitive and admission to USU is not guarantee just like most SMP with linkage. i think only 10 or less people from each branch get accepted every year. and i think you owe extra time afterwards in addition to your USU commitment? @Matthew9Thirtyfive or is that not true.

Depends on the branch. The Navy took 8 this year but only 5 the year I got selected. The Army and AF tack on 3 years to your USUHS or HPSP commitment, but the Navy does not.

It is a great program. Definitely really blessed to have had the opportunity to be a part of it, and I hope it continues. I know they are planning on it for at least a few more cohorts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently there are <300 active pediatric neurosurgeons, so google tells me. How competitive is that/what’s The residency like?

Pediatric neurosurgery is just one of the post-residency fellowships for neurosurg, like a year long. Not sure about the work hours but it's supposed to be decently competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
As UNMedGa said, you have to do a neurosurgery residency first, then do a pediatric fellowship. Neurosurgery is one of the most competitive specialties to get into - I'm not sure how competitive getting a peds fellowship is. The residency will be one of the more intense ones in terms of work hours, on par with gen surg and some other surgical subspecialties, and you'll have lots of difficult and depressing cases. It's difficult to have a family/spend quality time with them as a neurosurgeon. That said, the few people I know who went into neurosurgery because they love the work REALLY love what they do and find it's well worth the sacrifices.
Amazing summary ! One of my friends is a neurosurgeon and this is exactly what he says .

ok this one is actually about me (me making fun of myself).

when i was re-taking my MCAT last time, the day before i didnt eat anything the whole day. Was too nervous. Got a bottle of wine, decided to have a glass to relax... Wine was very smooth. Somehow i didnt notice i finished the whole bottle... didnt go to bed till 1 am. Woke up at 6 am still drunk. Had to take a cab to the testing center, because i couldnt drive. FML.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

when i was re-taking my MCAT last time, the day before i didnt eat anything the whole day. Was too nervous. Got a bottle of wine, decided to have a glass to relax... Wine was very smooth. Somehow i didnt notice i finished the whole bottle... didnt go to bed till 1 am. Woke up at 6 am still drunk. Had to take a cab to the testing center, because i couldnt drive. FML.
Happens to the best of us ;). I did something similar once except I was like 5 mins driving down the road before I realized I was still drunk and not just sleepy. Needless to say I pulled over right there and gave myself a stiff talking to. Now when I drink I put my keys in a lockbox that I lost the key too. It's easy to pick open with a screwdriver and paperclip when sober but I don't think I could ever do it drunk, so works pretty well

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

This is one of the best post I’ve seen haha. There are so many questions I want to ask, but how did you do?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This is one of the best post I’ve seen haha. There are so many questions I want to ask, but how did you do?
ask your questions - ill be happy to answer :)) hahahha
well, i threw up twice before getting to the testing center... let me see... what else? oh, i went to starbucks to get some salty popcorn to snack on, to bring nausea down, and lemonade. Couldnt even IMAGINE drinking coffee or even tea.
I sobered up .... i think by second section.

Got 511, even score - all 128, except CARS 127.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
On Thursday, I had the most gobsmacking experience with a junior year premed who thought that she was ready to apply....

She first asked me to read her PS which was clumsy and incohesive. Then I asked her about her GPAs. When she first said that she “didn’t know,” I knew that trouble was ahead. So I asked her, “which science classes did you not get an A in.” She replied that she hasn’t gotten an A in any of them. So I asked her what were her lowest grades. She said that she got a D in Bio I and a D- in Chem I . :eek:

The crazy part is that she moved onto Bio 2 and Chem 2 after those low grades! No surprise that she got C’s in those courses. BTW...she took those follow-on classes at a local cc rather than her home university. I asked her if she knew that she had retake those Ds and she said, “no.” And she got a C in stats....which IMHO....is the final clue that she’s in way over her head. Who gets a C in stats?

I asked her what her MCAT score is and she said that she’s taking Kaplan prep in July and will take the MCAT right after.

She will be taking BioChem, Physics I, Physics 2, or psych or sociology her senior year....after her planned MCAT?? Not to mention now learning that she needs to retake Bio I and Chem I as well senior year, she’ll be taking all of those courses along with a few remaining courses for her major, Human Development or something close to that....(at this point, my head was spinning so her major’s name was just a blur. :confused:.

I couldn’t remain silent so I told her that she was in no position to apply to med school nor take the MCAT. I was able to convince her to delay until she did some serious GPA repair and retake those D’s.

She’s determined to become a doctor, so there was no talking her out of her career goal.

She texted me Friday to tell me that when she emailed the Premed Advising office to withdraw her request for a Committee Interview, but their reply was that she wasn’t going to receive one. (Gee, what a surprise). I asked her if they told her why (hoping that they would back up my conclusion), but they only told her that the reasons were too many to write and for her to call for complete details. :whoa:

I suspect that within the next school year there will be a text saying that she got into a Caribb med.

If you can’t beat ‘em, beach ‘em.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
On Thursday, I had the most gobsmacking experience with a junior year premed who thought that she was ready to apply....

She first asked me to read her PS which was clumsy and incohesive. Then I asked her about her GPAs. When she first said that she “didn’t know,” I knew that trouble was ahead. So I asked her, “which science classes did you not get an A in.” She replied that she hasn’t gotten an A in any of them. So I asked her what were her lowest grades. She said that she got a D in Bio I and a D- in Chem I . :eek:

The crazy part is that she moved onto Bio 2 and Chem 2 after those low grades! No surprise that she got C’s in those courses. BTW...she took those follow-on classes at a local cc rather than her home university. I asked her if she knew that she had retake those Ds and she said, “no.” And she got a C in stats....which IMHO....is the final clue that she’s in way over her head. Who gets a C in stats?

I asked her what her MCAT score is and she said that she’s taking Kaplan prep in July and will take the MCAT right after.

She will be taking BioChem, Physics I, Physics 2, or psych or sociology her senior year....after her planned MCAT?? Not to mention now learning that she needs to retake Bio I and Chem I as well senior year, she’ll be taking all of those courses along with a few remaining courses for her major, Human Development or something close to that....(at this point, my head was spinning so her major’s name was just a blur. :confused:.

I couldn’t remain silent so I told her that she was in no position to apply to med school nor take the MCAT. I was able to convince her to delay until she did some serious GPA repair and retake those D’s.

She’s determined to become a doctor, so there was no talking here out of that plan.

She texted me Friday to tell me that when she emailed the Premed Advising office to withdraw her request for a Committee Interview, but their replay was that she wasn’t going to receive one. (Gee, what a surprise). I asked her if they told her why (hoping that they would back up my conclusion), but they only told her that the reasons were too many to write and for her to call for complete details. :whoa:

I suspect that within the next school year there will be a text saying that she got into a Caribb med.

This one just.. makes me sadder than the others for some reason

She’s determined to become a doctor, so there was no talking here out of that plan.

She texted me Friday to tell me that when she emailed the Premed Advising office to withdraw her request for a Committee Interview, but their replay was that she wasn’t going to receive one. (Gee, what a surprise). I asked her if they told her why (hoping that they would back up my conclusion), but they only told her that the reasons were too many to write and for her to call for complete details. :whoa:

Honestly she obviously was very ignorant to the realities of applying, but the fact that you were able to convince her to wait is actually a really good sign. Most pre-meds I talk to about things like that just blow me off. If I were you I would check up on her every now and then and make sure she's not going to the Caribbean, she may actually listen to you so you could end up really helping her out by preventing a huge mistake

This one just.. makes me sadder than the others for some reason

Indeed. That's just sad. She probably would be great at some other career but will fight against her weaknesses instead of playing to her strengths because of some desire to be a doctor. Just praying she doesn't succumb to the allure of the Carib.

Members don't see this ad :)

She’s determined to become a doctor, so there was no talking her out of her career goal.

This makes those of us informed about the process sad...but then you realize looking at the MCAT/GPA grids that like half of applicants are <3.4/<508 and so her situation is likely very very common, unfortunately.

Paraphrased: “Nothing in my app has changed since last cycle. I dropped all ECs to better focus on the application cycle and school.

I don’t need to retake my 506 MCAT because it is in the top 40% and that is who gets in.

I only applied to 5 schools last time, but probably just the inherent randomness in the cycle. I am applying to just those same 5 schools - if you don’t get in to 5 then applying to more won’t help.

I know Carib MED schools have high acceptance, maybe I will apply there.”

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
well, i threw up twice before getting to the testing center... let me see... what else? oh, i went to starbucks to get some salty popcorn to snack on, to bring nausea down, and lemonade. Couldnt even IMAGINE drinking coffee or even tea.

This is flippin great! I would be a liar if I said I’m a little jelly that you scored higher than me hungover, but I have nothing but respect lol.

When/if you have kids, this will be a perfect story when they are procrastinating “You have no excuses! I was a little hungover and had to take a cab to my MCAT. Get your butt upstairs and study.”

Indeed. That's just sad. She probably would be great at some other career but will fight against her weaknesses instead of playing to her strengths because of some desire to be a doctor. Just praying she doesn't succumb to the allure of the Carib.

Totally agree. The fact that she listened to the advice given just makes me feel bad for her. It's the arrogant ones that it's fun to watch fail, not the genuine ones who just aren't cutting it :(

This makes those of us informed about the process sad...but then you realize looking at the MCAT/GPA grids that like half of applicants are <3.4/<508 and so her situation is likely very very common, unfortunately.

True. How many times have we looked at those grids and thought, “who are THOSE people”? :eek:

After speaking to this girl, I realize that there are some who are in such denial that they think a touching PS or some sort of holistic admissions process will get them in.

With this girl, and likely others, there was also this sense of: well, I’m premed and now it’s time to apply. And suggestions that they delay applying are often met with, “but what else am I supposed to do??”

Doktor_dud3 said:
"So apparently, if you want to be a doctor you practice for a couple years after med school and then can do residency if you want."

Hopeless.

There are actually some programs through the HPSP that depending on the branch you can actually graduate from medical school and then go serve as a general medical officer for a year or more before going to residency. Maybe this pre-med is getting all of their advice from a recruiter?

Or maybe they met someone who didn’t Match or SOAP into specialty, but did Match/SOAP into an internship year and then did Match again the following year?

I don’t like saying I am ‘Pre-med’ because everyone says they are pre-MED and no one takes it seriously. ‘Future doctor’ is cringey because it is not a guarantee.

I am lame and say “Physician Candidate” and “future medical school Applicant.” Or just “I am applying to medical school.”

I also find the term, “going premed,” to be cringy.

Them: Are you taking this class for a graduation requirement or something?
Me: Yes

Idk if it's the same at other big state schools but psych here is seen as a big funnel for "Mrs." Degrees. I don't see it as the opposite as pre-Med though.

Damn that’s sad

Idk if it's the same at other big state schools but psych here is seen as a big funnel for "Mrs." Degrees. I don't see it as the opposite as pre-Med though.
I've never heard of a "Mrs" Degree before and had to google it to see if it was what I thought it was. Wow, that's horrible. My roommate's a psych major.

Don't know anybody who would pursue that without a gun to their head.

It’s not for the faint of heart, that’s for sure. A love for the field is integral to success in studying math. People joke about how it’s all useless, but that’s so derivative. You gotta just let it transform you.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
It’s not for the faint of heart, that’s for sure. A love for the field is integral to success in studying math. People joke about how it’s all useless, but that’s so derivative. You gotta just let it transform you.

If I was smart enough nothing would make me happier than just studying topology all day. Math is so cool but rly hard

If I was smart enough nothing would make me happier than just studying topology all day. Math is so cool but rly hard

Lol I was mostly just trying to make math puns, but yes it is hard. I’m really glad I majored in it though. It forced me to learn new ways to think about things and to really be able to visualize abstract and complex things well.

Plus it’s fun telling people things like 0.9999... = 1 and then watching them go bonkers when I show them the proof lol.

I laughed as I read your puns; the response in our house for math jokes that fall flat..."that's about epsilon funny" (which is apropos because it too is about epsilon funny except for math nerds)

I laughed as I read your puns; the response in our house for math jokes that fall flat..."that's about epsilon funny" (which is apropos because it too is about epsilon funny except for math nerds)

Math humor is a very complex field. Non-mathematicians like to keep things real. Math jokes get too abstract and don't have the same ring to them as a regular joke. I think it's a function of all the unique terms we have. I don't have any proof though.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Math humor is a very complex field. Non-mathematicians like to keep things real. Math jokes get too abstract and don't have the same ring to them as a regular joke. I think it's a function of all the unique terms we have. I don't have any proof though.
LOL (no really, I laughed out loud) - in another life you'd make a great middle school math teacher. You're on a roll.

I almost became a math teacher actually haha.
I actually considered mathematics as a career option before going to medical school :). I would have been doing modeling. For biomedical engineering field. Love math. Honestly, if not for math classes, but sGPA would have been much lower. It saved me. hahahaha

Why is it sad and "not right"?

What, the mrs degree? I think it’s not right because it takes away someone else’s chance to have a degree they will use, rather than going to college just to find a man (and never actually using that education); and sad because women still feel the need to game the system that way instead of standing on their own two feet.

Reactions: 7 users
What, the mrs degree? I think it’s not right because it takes away someone else’s chance to have a degree they will use, rather than going to college just to find a man (and never actually using that education); and sad because women still feel the need to game the system that way instead of standing on their own two feet.
Valid points, but at the same time undergrad admissions is not a zero-sum game, so they are not necessarily taking seats away from others. There's nothing wrong with people wanting to be wives/husbands and/or mothers/fathers full time, that's their choice, and I think higher education is a great thing for everyone regardless of if they use it for work. Or maybe I don't fully understand what an mrs. Degree is lol. If they don't care about the courses and are just there to party and find a spouse then ya that's a waste.

An MRS. Degree is when a woman goes to college solely for the purpose of finding a husband, after which she stays home.

An MRS. Degree is when a woman goes to college solely for the purpose of finding a husband, after which she stays home.
Ya that's excessive. There are apps that work better for that and they don't cost thousands of dollars =). Although I suppose there's something to be said for the freedom that comes with the "potential" employability of having a degree. Economic dependence is one of the largest reasons people stay in bad marriages, so even MRS. Degrees could help prevent that

Ya that's excessive. There are apps that work better for that and they don't cost thousands of dollars =). Although I suppose there's something to be said for the freedom that comes with the "potential" employability of having a degree. Economic dependence is one of the largest reasons people stay in bad marriages, so even MRS. Degrees could help prevent that

Not really. MRS degrees are typically really easy and don’t have great job markets. So like communications, education, psychology... basically majors where if you take your university core classes you have half your degree completed.

An argument I once heard from someone who went to college for her Mrs. (And became a teacher with the plan to be a stay at home mom once she had children): wouldnt you want your children to be raised by someone who is well-educated and can help them pursue whatever path they want in life?