"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hate to be the guy but is this thread 95 pages of “talk down/insult premeds so my stethoscope appears bigger”

WE HEARD THAT

latest

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
This happens with Faculty jobs as well. You'd be surprised that whenever we advertise for, say, an Anatomy position, we get CVs from geneticists, microbiologists, biochemists or botanists.

"I could learn how to teach that" must be their mindset.

This is funny to me because as an M4 I started getting e-mails from a recruiter for faculty positions. I chuckled a bit when two of the positions were for my medical school and one of them was for the department of the class I had to remediate. I took a screenshot and e-mailed it to our dean (was pretty close with him) and said something like "I appreciate the offer, but I may be a little under-qualified for this position." Ran into him on campus and he just laughed and shook his head.

Some of this is just desperate applicants, but there's also a lot of recruiters out there who have no idea what they're doing.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
It is uninformed and determined applicants like this who make up the almost half (47%) of applicants that submit with a sub-506 MCAT and really make the "Only 40% get in" statistic seem not as scary...

True. Someone with a good app, a 3.7+ GPA and a 512+ MCAT probably has a 75%+ of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
True. Someone with a good app, a 3.7+ GPA and a 512+ MCAT probably has a 75%+ of acceptance.
I did the math a while back and 2/3 of matriculants come from >3.4/>509 but only 40% of applicants meet those criteria. Those are like the bare minimum for what most SDNers consider competitive, but most applicants don’t meet that criteria. Think about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Not only in regards to stats, but where applicants are applying to. I talked to another premed who had purchased the MSAR and knew that out of state public schools don't accept many from out of state. Yet the majority of her school list was random out of state schools she had no connection to. I asked why she applied to those and she just shrugged and said "I don't know".

When you account for uncompetitive applications, late applicants, and those who apply to the wrong schools, the odds don't seem so bad.

Reactions: 6 users
Not only in regards to stats, but where applicants are applying to. I talked to another premed who had purchased the MSAR and knew that out of state public schools don't accept many from out of state. Yet the majority of her school list was random out of state schools she had no connection to. I asked why she applied to those and she just shrugged and said "I don't know".

When you account for uncompetitive applications, late applicants, and those who apply to the wrong schools, the odds don't seem so bad.
I'd estimate that half of all apps are from people who have no business ever setting foot on a medical school campus, except as standardized patients.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I'd estimate that half of all apps are from people who have no business ever setting foot on a medical school campus, except as standardized patients.
If half of all application are from people who don’t belong and only 40% get in, then the overall acceptance rate of Goro approved applicants is more like 80% :lol: Am I doing my math right?

If half of all application are from people who don’t belong and only 40% get in, then the overall acceptance rate of Goro approved applicants is more like 80% :lol: Am I doing my math right?
Not necessarily. I'm assuming @Goro is talking about the apps he sees at his school. The distribution of applicant types is going to vary greatly between schools. I would guess that an adcom at a DO school would be more likely to see the types that don't belong in med school and less likely to see the competitive people who trash their chances by only applying to top-tier MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily. I'm assuming @Goro is talking about the apps he sees at his school. The distribution of applicant types is going to vary greatly between schools. I would guess that an adcom at a DO school would be more likely to see the types that don't belong in med school and less likely to see the competitive people who trash their chances by only applying to top-tier MD schools.
FWIW, I have seen the identical numbers in terms of Faculty apps at the three institutions where I have worked (two MD, one DO). If PhDs are engaging in the same type of wishful or ignorant thinking ("well, you never know" or "you miss all the shots you don't take" or "for ****s and giggles" or "A guy can dream, can't he?"), don't assume that people won't do the same thing for Harvard/Stanford class schools.

Let's hear what others have to say:
@gyngyn @LizzyM @Moko ???

As a reminder, gyngyn has reported that at his ionospheric school, he had an applicant with a single digit MCAT score (old exam). Not a single digit in each category, but for the entire exam! Gyngyn also reported an applicant who took the MCAT for something like every year for more than a decade.

• Wow
by only applying to top-tier MD schools.
That’s your boy right here!

Totally understandable. Even looking at MD only however, it yields those statistics...only 40% or so of applicants meet the baseline criteria for what SDN would deem worthy of applying...

That’s your boy right here!

Totally understandable. Even looking at MD only however, it yields those statistics...only 40% or so of applicants meet the baseline criteria for what SDN would deem worthy of applying...
Ya the truth is if you have the stats, the EC boxes checked, and a good school list, your chances of acceptance are really not bad. The problem is there are so many steps along the way to get right, that for those without guidance from SDN or another credible source, it's easy to mess something up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With the new MCAT (2015).
He took it about twice a year for around 25 years.
That’s like $16K on testing fees. Killin it. Must’ve had an immigrant tiger mom that insisted “Jimmy gonna be a Doctor at Harvard.” And Jimmy just couldn’t upset mom.

• Wow
That’s like $16K on testing fees. Killin it. Must’ve had an immigrant tiger mom that insisted “Jimmy gonna be a Doctor at Harvard.” And Jimmy just couldn’t upset mom.
No, his mom was quite frail (from her handwriting).
He had her write an LoE.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19 users
No, his mom was quite frail (from her handwriting).
He had her write an LoE.

Back when I was interviewing for PhD programs, one of my fellow applicants brought their mom with them to the interview.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
With the new MCAT (2015).

He took it about twice a year for around 25 years.

25 years? There's people on this forum who haven't even lived that long... Even if at some point it was just for laughs, how do you persist at that for 25 years?

At some point, did it just become a game to you in terms of seeing if the person applied and how many scores they had accumulated since the previous year?

Back when I was interviewing for PhD programs, one of my fellow applicants brought their mom with them to the interview.

I rarely see this at my school, but it does happen. The @gyngyn seems to have seen more of it at his school, and more dire results, like one dad literally shoving his kid into the interview room!

25 years? There's people on this forum who haven't even lived that long... Even if at some point it was just for laughs, how do you persist at that for 25 years?
At some point, did it just become a game to you in terms of seeing if the person applied and how many scores they had accumulated since the previous year?
I believe that mental health issues were involved for this person.

He only applied here once.
We did have another fellow who sent us a paper application every year for decades. He often added copies of his legal case against AMCAS.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
We sometimes have to detach the parent. They don't seem to pick up on social cues. "Would you like to have a seat in the lobby? Perhaps a coffee at Starbucks?"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I believe that mental health issues were involved for this person.

Ah, that makes the situation a bit more sad. I hope they were able to get the help that they needed.

He only applied here once.
We did have another fellow who sent us a paper application every year for decades. He often added copies of his legal case against AMCAS.

Sending a paper application every year for decades sounds almost insane; I can't imagine spending that much time being obsessed with a school. The legal case doesn't really help things - I'm assuming it was for being rejected/having the electronic component, if he was constantly sending paper apps?

We sometimes have to detach the parent. They don't seem to pick up on social cues. "Would you like to have a seat in the lobby? Perhaps a coffee at Starbucks?"

At that point I just wouldn’t bother interviewing that applicant...

Was this the guy who sued Yale, and lost?

Are you referring to the person who claimed they were discriminating against him for his political views? Wasn't this an antitrust lawsuit? I'm not even sure how that logic came into play with multiple private medical institutions... Didn't that case take 4 years to resolve?

Are you referring to the person who claimed they were discriminating against him for his political views? Wasn't this an antitrust lawsuit? I'm not even sure how that logic came into play with multiple private medical institutions... Didn't that case take 4 years to resolve?
Yeah, that's who I was thinking of. I believe that he also sued Hofstra and maybe Stanford.

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of. I believe that he also sued Hofstra and maybe Stanford.

I remember reading that story and wondering how someone could get desperate enough to resort to getting an injunction to get into medical school. I think he said his stated goal was to have the court force Yale to admit him, which just seemed... absurd.

There are some candidates you simply give a few softball questions to, and then move on, because they're reject material as soon as they walk into the room.
I’m telling you, if I already have an acceptance at any other school but I get a Harvard interview (they are low on my priorities due to Boston COL) then I am still taking that interview just to show up in a teal suit, light up healies, raybans, and a purple Mohawk. Reject material right when I walk in the door. You watch me.

• Haha
Sending a paper application every year for decades sounds almost insane; I can't imagine spending that much time being obsessed with a school.
He was a very strange fellow, indeed. He referred to himself in the third person by his last name, quite grandiose. Poor thing.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
I’m telling you, if I already have an acceptance at any other school but I get a Harvard interview (they are low on my priorities due to Boston COL) then I am still taking that interview just to show up in a teal suit, light up healies, raybans, and a purple Mohawk. Reject material right when I walk in the door. You watch me.
This explains the sartorial behavior of a scary number of the people @gyngyn's school interviews!

I remember reading that story and wondering how someone could get desperate enough to resort to getting an injunction to get into medical school. I think he said his stated goal was to have the court force Yale to admit him, which just seemed... absurd.
We get sued by irate parents from time to time.

• Haha
It is uninformed and determined applicants like this who make up the almost half (47%) of applicants that submit with a sub-506 MCAT and really make the "Only 40% get in" statistic seem not as scary...
Well, in some cases a sub-506 MCAT is okay for MD ( lucky state schools, for instance).
I've been saying stuff like this for a while, the vast majority of MD and DO applicants are way too low for stats ( <10 percent), and it's why SDN lvl applicants get in more often than not, despite national trends.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, in some cases a sub-506 MCAT is okay for MD ( lucky state schools, for instance).
I've been saying stuff like this for a while, the vast majority of MD and DO applicants are way too low for stats ( <10 percent), and it's why SDN lvl applicants get in more often than not, despite national trends.
Sub 506 applicants do get in... but they make up half of all applicants and only 20% of all matriculants. So the odds are NOT in their favor.

Sub 506 applicants do get in... but they make up half of all applicants and only 20% of all matriculants. So the odds are NOT in their favor.
I was just trying to say not every sub 506 is ill informed, if they apply DO and "lucky" MD they can still be fine. OTOH, some people with a517 and 3.2 GPA will apply top heavy and be shocked they ddint' get in.

There are some candidates you simply give a few softball questions to, and then move on, because they're reject material as soon as they walk into the room.

You ever softball the shoe-ins?

Reactions: 1 users
I hope I get GRILLED at my interviews then

EDIT: I hope I get interviews lol

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
For oral boards, if we get to the really hard questions, you've already won.
Not physician boards but can confirm from my NCO board promotion. They try to throw you off with the hard ones because ‘this guy is good.’

Reactions: 4 users
I mean, the thing that rubs me the wrong way about stuff like this is that sometimes it's the parents that are doing that, and the kid is also suffering because of the overbearing parent, you know?

I mean, the thing that rubs me the wrong way about stuff like this is that sometimes it's the parents that are doing that, and the kid is also suffering because of the overbearing parent, you know?

The “kid” (an adult, so not really a kid) could tell their parents not to come.

Reactions: 10 users
If you have overbearing parents you need to tell them to stop. It’s a simple as that. If you’re in undergraduate education you’re no longer a kid you’re an adult. If you don’t have the gall to tell your parents to leave you alone the. you arent going to have the fortitude to Tell a patient they have cancer or tell a nurse they’re overstepping their boundaries. If you are that kind of applicant, it’s time to grow up. And if parents refuse to pay for your education or whatever it is that makes it where you allow them to treat you like that, then those are parents you don’t want to have point blank. Being a doctor with $300,000 of student loan debt is closer to being a doctor than not getting acceptance because of your parents or familial situation.