Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First day of class, the professor decides to try and get to know his new students and their motivation for taking his class. He goes round the room asking each student individually:
Professor to first student "Hello, why don't you tell us your major, and what your motivation for taking my class is"

student 1: "I'm an english major and I am just taking this class as part of my general science requirements."

The professor turns to the next student "and how about you?"

student 2: "I'm a chemistry major and I just love chemistry."

the professor smiles and turns to the third student, who happens to be a pre-med

"And what about you?" the professor asks, still smiling.

The pre-med frowns "Does my answer make part of my grade?"
Srsly!?!?!
d-bag-of-the-week-by-hip-is-everything_thumb.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

A girl at a conference I recently attended told me that if I didnt have >37 on the MCAT there was no way I would get into medical school.

A girl at a conference I recently attended told me that if I didnt have >37 on the MCAT there was no way I would get into medical school.

It's funny but I have been told this exact number in the past too... it's weird, it was 35 or 36 or 38. I recall at least twice being told that I had to get higher than a 37.

Members don't see this ad :)

She must be talking about Canadian medical schools. :laugh:

"I don't think I want to go to med school but I'm taking the prereqs just to keep my options open. And because I want to prove that I can."

--Me, with a 2.7 sGPA junior year, probably right before taking a massive bong rip

On the bright side, I spend most of my time on SDN feeling very inferior to most of you, so this thread was a nice change of pace.

Reactions: 1 user
First day of class, the professor decides to try and get to know his new students and their motivation for taking his class. He goes round the room asking each student individually:
Professor to first student "Hello, why don't you tell us your major, and what your motivation for taking my class is"

student 1: "I'm an english major and I am just taking this class as part of my general science requirements."

The professor turns to the next student "and how about you?"

student 2: "I'm a chemistry major and I just love chemistry."

the professor smiles and turns to the third student, who happens to be a pre-med

"And what about you?" the professor asks, still smiling.

The pre-med frowns "Does my answer make part of my grade?"
classic pre-med. :thumbup:

She must be talking about Canadian medical schools. :laugh:
Burn! LoL
"I don't think I want to go to med school but I'm taking the prereqs just to keep my options open. And because I want to prove that I can."

--Me, with a 2.7 sGPA junior year, probably right before taking a massive bong rip

On the bright side, I spend most of my time on SDN feeling very inferior to most of you, so this thread was a nice change of pace.
tumblr_m6ybatoo081qiesx2o1_500.jpg

In all reality, don't feel inferior. Work hard, improve, get in, and revel in the fact that you made it much to the chagrin of those thought you couldn't.

A limit is a number, infinity is not a number. So yes, you are correct, the limit does not exist, but we use the infinity symbol to show that the definition of the limit becomes infinite. Stuff like this is why I don't like calculus :rolleyes:

lol I meant as in the left and right side do not approach infinity, so the limit is not infinity.

But I suppose I'm overanalyzing the joke. I just don't like incorrect math XD

lol I meant as in the left and right side do not approach infinity, so the limit is not infinity.

But I suppose I'm overanalyzing the joke. I just don't like incorrect math XD

I already discussed that before. If you want to get fancy, take plumazul's suggestion and have fun with multivariable limits.

I already discussed that before. If you want to get fancy, take plumazul's suggestion and have fun with multivariable limits.

Differential equations will ruin your fun

Yeah, but I'm just saying there isn't a single mathematician in the world that will claim that limit approaches infinity :p

Yeah, that's false. Tell that to a guy specializing in algebraic topology.

You're claiming that the limit of 1/(x-8) as x-->8 is infinity? I don't see how that makes sense. I double checked with my dad (Ph.D. in mathematics) and he also doesn't see how that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's false. Tell that to a guy specializing in algebraic topology.

You're claiming that the limit of 1/(x-8) as x-->8 is infinity? I don't see how that makes sense. I double checked with my dad (Ph.D. in mathematics) and he also doesn't see how that makes sense.

tumblr_m4p9m8J55X1r7v6nx.jpg

Moving on...

Is your dad a topologist?

Disclaimer: I don't buy into any of this nonsense.

My family's (and larger community's) perspective. This list was gleaned through many, many boring conversations with med student families and other randoms who think I should have decided my career before entering med school.

I'll revise this list as I remember some other specialties. In each tier, list is in rough descending order from left to right.

God Tier: Plastics, Vascular Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Radiology.

Tier 1: Radiation Oncology, Ophthamology, Neurosurgery, Urology, General Surgery (and subspecialties), Anesthesiology,

Tier 2: Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, Pathology, Dermatology (surprisingly low), Internal Medicine (Card/Gastro are Tier 1 I think), PM+R,

Tier 3: Pediatrics (exact prestige level depends on money I think), OB/GYN, Psychiatry

back on topic

goofball said:
My family's (and larger community's) perspective. This list was gleaned through many, many boring conversations with med student families and other randoms who think I should have decided my career before entering med school.

I'll revise this list as I remember some other specialties. In each tier, list is in rough descending order from left to right.

God Tier: Plastics, Vascular Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Radiology.

Tier 1: Radiation Oncology, Ophthamology, Neurosurgery, Urology, General Surgery (and subspecialties), Anesthesiology,

Tier 2: Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, Pathology, Dermatology (surprisingly low), Internal Medicine (Card/Gastro are Tier 1 I think), PM+R,

Tier 3: Pediatrics (exact prestige level depends on money I think), OB/GYN, Psychiatry

^^^^ Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds....;)

Lmao. I knew someone would put that here. It was only a matter of time.

From what I remember from school, x -->8 means x is 7.99999999 etc... thus 1/(x-8) would indeed give infinity, in this case minus infinity.

The wife of one of my friends from high school is in PA school. My friend's mom thinks her daughter in law is in medical school and is going to be a doctor.

From what I remember from school, x -->8 means x is 7.99999999 etc... thus 1/(x-8) would indeed give infinity, in this case minus infinity.

This thread is like a parody inside of a parody. A mobius strip of premedness that threatens to collapse in on itself. I like it and hate it at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Well yeah, if you want to be really specific, the limit doesn't exist because the right and left side limits aren't equal. (the right side is infinity, the left side is negative infinity). DNE and infinity are a bit different, since infinity is used for unbounded limits whose left and right side limits are equal.

Right, but even if the left sided limit and right sided limit were both positive infinity the limit still wouldn't exist.

No, he's right and you're notation is wrong. As x approaches 8+ the limit is equal to infinity. As x approaches 8- the limit is equal to negative infinity. The limit doesn't exist because it has unbounded behaivor.

Enough of this calc talk. :D

I met this person today who was a nontrad premed in the sense that she did not do any of the pre-reqs as an undergrad. She majored in art history and according to her, will be doing a post-bacc next semester at the Harvard Extension School.

The funny thing is that she is very arrogant and misinformed and thinks that Harvard Extension has a linkage program to their medical school. :laugh:

This thread is like a parody inside of a parody. A mobius strip of premedness that threatens to collapse in on itself. I like it and hate it at the same time.

With all due respect, I really believe a "Klein Bottle" is the better metaphor.

Enough of this calc talk. :D

I met this person today who was a nontrad premed in the sense that she did not do any of the pre-reqs as an undergrad. She majored in art history and according to her, will be doing a post-bacc next semester at the Harvard Extension School.

The funny thing is that she is very arrogant and misinformed and thinks that Harvard Extension has a linkage program to their medical school. :laugh:

How is Harvard Extension School that good? It's overrated, because it's abused by people who shouldn't have been there.

the only thing that is wrong in that post is saying MD and DO's face the same amount of scrutiny when practicing overseas...

if you actually go talk to DO's you will find that almost all of them make the same salary if not more than their MD counterparts...and patients really dont care who their doctor is, the only ones that do are very misinformed patients to begin with. DO and MD, besides from residency opportunities and practice abroad, are essentially the same

after spending a lot of time reading this thread, a few of the people in here are misinformed too!

the only thing that is wrong in that post is saying MD and DO's face the same amount of scrutiny when practicing overseas...

if you actually go talk to DO's you will find that almost all of them make the same salary if not more than their MD counterparts...and patients really dont care who their doctor is, the only ones that do are very misinformed patients to begin with. DO and MD, besides from residency opportunities and practice abroad, are essentially the same

after spending a lot of time reading this thread, a few of the people in here are misinformed too!

I think you are an extremely confused boy.

Go back and re-read the part of the post I quoted. You completely missed it. Either that, or you have also been fed the "lolz we r holisticer than u" garbage other osteo premeds have serving up.

Go back and re-read the part of the post I quoted. You completely missed it. Either that, or you have also been fed the "lolz we r holisticer than u" garbage other osteo premeds have serving up.

oh haha ok yeah I get it now...yeah the holistic philosophy is kind of over used and really doesnt make sense, I thought you meant that persons entire post

On a side note: I have found the most misinformed pre-meds are those who like to think they are better than others without regard for facts

:flame:
You could've just said "I think you missed the 'holisticer than thou' part quoted in my original post." I don't understand the need to reflexively demean others. :shrug:

:flame:
You could've just said "I think you missed the 'holisticer than thou' part quoted in my original post." I don't understand the need to reflexively demean others. :shrug:

Is it a need, or a want? :D

Well yeah, if you want to be really specific, the limit doesn't exist because the right and left side limits aren't equal. (the right side is infinity, the left side is negative infinity). DNE and infinity are a bit different, since infinity is used for unbounded limits whose left and right side limits are equal.
P.S. An equal sign signifies an equivalence relation. Since lim as x-->8 of 1/(x-8) is equivalent to infinity, the limit does exist, and it is sideways 8.

There are different types of infinity sure but that doesn't really get relevant until you're taking proof-based classes involving sets and subspaces and such

OvIlV.gif

P.S. An equal sign signifies an equivalence relation. Since lim as x-->8 of 1/(x-8) is equivalent to infinity, the limit does exist, and it is sideways 8.

There are different types of infinity sure but that doesn't really get relevant until you're taking proof-based classes involving sets and subspaces and such

OvIlV.gif
one-is-bored.jpg

In all seriousness this infinity/limit stuff is kind of getting annoying. Can we please get back to more funny quotes from pre-meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.