Fusing a nursing degree with a law degree or MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krazymackbk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays to everyone on the boards!

I'm new to this board and it is pleasure meeting you all.

I'm 25 and obtained my Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and I'm earning an M.B.A. online.

However, I'm thinking of going back to school, yet again, and obtain a Nursing degree next fall because of the job opportunities that it provides. I don't have any technical or business experience whatsoever, so it makes it impossible to get any sort of job in the field that I am in. Plus as many of you know the economy is now horrible within the technical field.

I'm considering the nursing profession although I admit that I'm a little apprehensive of choosing it because I will be rare being that I would be a male nurse.

I'm curious to know if anyone has fused a Nursing degree with another professional degree outside of medicine. For example a M.B.A. or law degree. If so, can you please share your experiences in the industry and any job opportunities that were received. I've always had an interest in Law, in addition to the business background that I will obtain. I think having a nursing degree with an M.B.A. and/or J.D in the profession, would open up many doors in the healthcare realm. Thank you for taking the time out to read my post.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by krazymackbk
Happy Holidays to everyone on the boards!

I'm new to this board and it is pleasure meeting you all.

I'm 25 and obtained my Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and I'm earning an M.B.A. online.

However, I'm thinking of going back to school, yet again, and obtain a Nursing degree next fall because of the job opportunities that it provides. I don't have any technical or business experience whatsoever, so it makes it impossible to get any sort of job in the field that I am in. Plus as many of you know the economy is now horrible within the technical field.

I'm considering the nursing profession although I admit that I'm a little apprehensive of choosing it because I will be rare being that I would be a male nurse.

I'm curious to know if anyone has fused a Nursing degree with another professional degree outside of medicine. For example a M.B.A. or law degree. If so, can you please share your experiences in the industry and any job opportunities that were received. I've always had an interest in Law, in addition to the business background that I will obtain. I think having a nursing degree with an M.B.A. and/or J.D in the profession, would open up many doors in the healthcare realm. Thank you for taking the time out to read my post.

Hello...

You're ambitions will definitely make you valuable to the healthcare system. If you get a Nursing degree, and you already hold a CS degree, and you get either a JD or a MBA, then you'll be snatched up by a hospital system for an upper level administration position on your way to CFO/CEO eventually. With a JD and a nursing degree, you will be able to practice law independently as well (especially medical malpractice). Either way you go, I don't think you'll be sorry in the least bit. I do think having a JD will allow you more opportunities, but it's longer and more difficult to achieve than MBA. You will have to basically shut your life down for 3 years to get the JD, whereas you can get a MBA and basically keep your life going the way it is. Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

At my medical school the guy that gives us a lecture on health care laws in our ICM course is a RN/JD.

Members don't see this ad :)
As nursing becomes more advanced and more diverse, the need for a nurse to possess more than just her RN license becomes dire. There's currently a lot of nursing masters program that combines the MSN with an MPH (public health). I think that is an excellent combo. I don't know of many programs that has a combined law degree and nursing degree studies, but I have heard that many nurses are ambitious and pass the bar. Also, masters (in nursing) programs are increasingly getting fused with MBA programs as well.

I know male nurses account for probably less than 5% of all nurses (I could be wrong -- that was just an approximate figure I scratched out of my butt) but regardless of whether you are a man or a woman, it is a very rewarding field -- not only because you get to "help" people, but because it can take you places and grant you many opportunities. And you know with a RN degree, you can get a job anywhere anytime with this shortage.

There are many accelerated nursing programs for people who already hold B.S. or B.A. degrees. You can probably get a bachelors in a year or so, and a masters in two or three, depending on whether you go FT or PT. Congratulations on your new query -- I hope you seriously do consider nursing.

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement Califlower. :)

I also truly appreciate your replies BiggMan79 and lloydchristmas.

Thanks for hearing out my interest about the nursing profession. I am strongly considering going into Nursing, I'm doing a lot of research on the profession and making plans on how I can fulfill pre-reqs by the fall of next year for entry into a B.S.N. program or direct entry M.S.N program. I've completed a year of General Chemistry and a semester of General Bio when I was in college for my first year. (I was actually declared a Computer Science/pre-med and then I dropped it because of Organic Chemistry, which I will eventually have to take. -- I personally feel that I would better serve as a nurse/lawyer rather than becoming any sort of physician)

I still have to take Anatomy and Physiology and either Organic Chem, Biochemistry or Microbiology, I think. The prerequisites seem to vary from school to school. My interest in law would be pursued after I complete a nursing degree.

I'm currently a teacher at a private school for Grade 4, I enjoy teaching, but this profession seems so limiting and I deal with a number of classroom management and discipline issues. This is something that I don't want to do for the rest of my life. I am just amazed by the opportunities that Nursing provides like you mentioned Califlower.

I also like to be in a profession that helps people (as cliched as it sounds) and yet allowing me to move around some and not being in such a stagnant position, like many other professions. I'm exciting about my new plans in this profession and I am actively pursuing this in the coming months.

I'm pretty sure that Hopkins in Baltimore still has a program that grants an RN/BSN to bachelor's holders after 13 months...

I'm glad you posted.

I am currently a developer/exec assistant/ computer tech for a large corp.

I am in the processing of attending nursing school in the fall of this year.

I was hoping to work as a nurse in the hospital for a while then get either an MPH, MBA, or JD if possible.

Chicago has a few law programs that are flexible.