Future career prospects and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is a stressful time for all as we go on interview to see if programs fit us and we fit well for programs. I had a few other questions as I feel like it is going to shape the rest of our careers.

I am not sure if I want to pursue a fellowship quite yet. I am attracted to the possibility of being a hospitalist. I do like clinic also, but I think I like seeing sicker patients.

I understand that going to a University program is helpful is keeping all these doors open...i.e. you can be a hospitalist, go into academics, pursue a fellowship easier, etc.

What if you go to a community program? What are the job prospects likes?
I am not trying to pick on any programs in particular, but for example, I have an interview at St Luke's Hospital Program in St. Louis, MO. It is not a super well known program.

What if I decide to rank them #1? Will I be able to get a job as a hospitalist in a major city? Bay area? San Diego? Boston? Or will I be stuck in around the St. Louis area where they know the St. Luke's grads?

Would I have an easier time getting a job in the above mentioned cities if I pursued my residency at the University of Utah? (also have an interview here)

Thanks for clearing up my naivete.

Members don't see this ad.

To sum it up, I am basically asking:
If I were to do my residency at Northshore Evanston, would I be able to land a job as a hospitalist in San Diego?

Or would they rather prefer a university trained physician? Like someone who went to U of Chicago?

Thanks.

I apologize if this is obvious and didn't need to be stated but from what I understand, if you really want to stay in California, it would be best to do your residency in California. It seems as though it is just much more likely that a California program will have many connections throughout the state as opposed to a program outside of it.

Of course if California is not even an option, then this poitn is moot. As for whether or not you are more competitive of an applicant going to a university program over a community based program, I'm not so sure about that.

An easy way to find out what your job opportunities are going to be like after you graduate would be to ask the PD at your interview or any interviewer about the support they provide for graudates when job seeking and the extent of their connections. In addition, obviously also ask if they have had residents go to the state of your choice to practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if this is obvious and didn't need to be stated but from what I understand, if you really want to stay in California, it would be best to do your residency in California. It seems as though it is just much more likely that a California program will have many connections throughout the state as opposed to a program outside of it.

Of course if California is not even an option, then this poitn is moot. As for whether or not you are more competitive of an applicant going to a university program over a community based program, I'm not so sure about that.

An easy way to find out what your job opportunities are going to be like after you graduate would be to ask the PD at your interview or any interviewer about the support they provide for graudates when job seeking and the extent of their connections. In addition, obviously also ask if they have had residents go to the state of your choice to practice.

But I know of many doctors that have practiced in various other states before my medical school...

anyone? anyone? cricket...cricket..

jdh71 or others..help me out brotha

made a mistake. please ignore this post

Last edited:
It is a stressful time for all as we go on interview to see if programs fit us and we fit well for programs. I had a few other questions as I feel like it is going to shape the rest of our careers.

I am not sure if I want to pursue a fellowship quite yet. I am attracted to the possibility of being a hospitalist. I do like clinic also, but I think I like seeing sicker patients.

I understand that going to a University program is helpful is keeping all these doors open...i.e. you can be a hospitalist, go into academics, pursue a fellowship easier, etc.

What if you go to a community program? What are the job prospects likes?
I am not trying to pick on any programs in particular, but for example, I have an interview at St Luke's Hospital Program in St. Louis, MO. It is not a super well known program.

What if I decide to rank them #1? Will I be able to get a job as a hospitalist in a major city? Bay area? San Diego? Boston? Or will I be stuck in around the St. Louis area where they know the St. Luke's grads?

Would I have an easier time getting a job in the above mentioned cities if I pursued my residency at the University of Utah? (also have an interview here)

Thanks for clearing up my naivete.

If you want to get a hospitalist gig in a big city, best to do your training at a university program in that city. If not in that city, doing it at a university program is best. I would think getting a job as a hospitalist in San Diego would be near impossible coming from a community program in Missouri.

If you want to get a hospitalist gig in a big city, best to do your training at a university program in that city. If not in that city, doing it at a university program is best. I would think getting a job as a hospitalist in San Diego would be near impossible coming from a community program in Missouri.

Can anyone second this idea? So those that are in a community program in Missouri are doomed to practice in second rate geographies? No SF, SD, Seattle, NYC, or Boston for them?

Can anyone second this idea? So those that are in a community program in Missouri are doomed to practice in second rate geographies? No SF, SD, Seattle, NYC, or Boston for them?

There are no hard and fast rules in this game but as a general rule, this is correct.

Think about it this way. If I run a hospitalist program at "Big Name University" or "Fancy California Private Hospital Near the Beach," and I have two applicants for a position, one from "Big Name Medical School Residency Program" and one from "I Didn't Even Know That Was Actually A City With A Hospital In It Residency Program," it's kind of a no-brainer. I can trust the education/training provided at the first program because I've probably worked with people from there either in med school or residency or in my current position.

Whether the clinical knowledge/skills actually differs in any significant way between those two people is (unfortunately), almost beside the point.

Finally, the reasons a lot of people stay put (or stay close) once they finish residency/fellowship include the fact that they may be rooted there (family, house, spouse with good job, etc) as well as that it's much easier to find a job where you already are and know people. Most good jobs don't get advertised and don't go through recruiters. Openings tend to be advertised by word-of-mouth. I know that most of our IM grads going into general IM gigs get jobs after talking to people at the job fair our program holds each year with directors of the various IM groups around the area.

Short answer is that, you should go to the best (for you) and best known program you can get into because it will improve your future options.