Future demand for doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viper2fast505

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so lets say we make it through med school will there be a job waiting for us as doctors 7 to 8 years from now?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as people don't stop getting sick, yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is indeed a very cute picture. :laugh:

your right, stupid question. Its just all the stuff we have to go through to get into med school and make it through it i just dont want to also worry about finding a job. But i really dont know how it works for doctors, I never really see an ad in the paper for ER doctors.

your right, stupid question. Its just all the stuff we have to go through to get into med school and make it through it i just dont want to also worry about finding a job. But i really dont know how it works for doctors, I never really see an ad in the paper for ER doctors.

It's not the kind of thing that is advertised on newspapers. If you read journal magazines, you'll find all kinds of announcements looking for PhD's and MD's for academia and hospital positions. You'll never see anyone looking for a Microbiology PhD on the newspaper.

Um, no. And you probably never will.

The net is where most physicians (and PA's and nurse practitioners) now post CV's, resumes, etc., and line up work nowadays. Google anything like "physician jobs" and you will find dozens of sites. Some of them you can check out the jobs for docs without having to register. It's actually a good idea to do that anyway, imo.

Also, recruiters are always out there contacting docs. Physician recruiting is big $$.

hahah, OK i will take a look at school tomorrow. Thanks for all your help, you guys or girls are very nice to help me.

my question is how did you get your dog to do that

OK, I did not do that to the dog. That was my fiance. The dog hates wearing that thing. But I will admit getting a puppy has turned me into such a drooling weenie. I treat that dog like a little princess.

OK, I did not do that to the dog. That was my fiance. The dog hates wearing that thing. But I will admit getting a puppy has turned me into such a drooling weenie. I treat that dog like a little princess.

lol well either way its really cute!!!!

So is your fiance the dog, or the bun?

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
no. physicians will be the least in demand of any professional and pretty soon the pay is going to drop to like $30k a year.

(cool, now i've weeded out some of the competition. time for me to get mine)

The baby boomers are getting older, and older means sicker. Sicker people means good employment for docs. If you get an MD you will have to really screw up to not find a job.

Gotta love the dachshunds. I have a longhaired mini. :)

She's old though. She's almost 11.

As long as people don't stop getting sick, yes.

With the number of pas, nps and crnas increasing in geometrical progression - I wouldn't be so sure. Especially anesthesiologists - their future is REALLY gloomy - crnas nowadays do everything from spinals to heart transplants for half the salary.

With the number of pas, nps and crnas increasing in geometrical progression - I wouldn't be so sure. Especially anesthesiologists - their future is REALLY gloomy - crnas nowadays do everything from spinals to heart transplants for half the salary.

This is why you become a physician to be a leader and not just a practitioner. There will always be a job for the educated if they have the communication and leadership skills required to organize.

Heart transplants? To what degree?

are u serious asking that question...?

are u serious asking that question...?

Serious as in there is no way they are actually doing heart transplants.

Though I wouldn't say NPs with a big part in heart transplants is impossible. Healthcare is a for profit business here, less money to practictioners means more profit.

man this post is stupid.

also, to everyone else, this person doesnt mean nurses are doing heart transplants, he means they are doing the anesthesia for spinals and heart transplants (the more difficult and risky surgeries to do anes. for)

People will always get sick.... And thank goodness for that! :laugh:

Oh yeah, anesthesiologists are getting hammered, that's why their demand is sky high and they're one of the best paid specialties out of residency.

Really, the mid level stuff is a problem but it's not as doom and gloom as a lot of premeds predict.

Oh yeah, anesthesiologists are getting hammered, that's why their demand is sky high and they're one of the best paid specialties out of residency.

Really, the mid level stuff is a problem but it's not as doom and gloom as a lot of premeds predict.

I'm interested in anesthesiology in the future. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by getting hammered? As in getting sued a lot or what? Thanks

Last edited:
I'm interested in anesthesiology in the future. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by getting hammered? As in getting sued a lot or what? Thanks.

No man, you get to show up to work hammered.

Drunk.

I'm interested in anesthesiology in the future. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by getting hammered? As in getting sued a lot or what? Thanks.

In a nutshell: The idea is hospitals are hiring more CRNAs and therefore less anesthesiologists. People predict that because these midlevel practitioners have lower salaries than doctors they will reduce the demand for doctors in some specialties (family practice, im, anesthesiology). How much truth there is to the theory is obviously up for debate.

There will always be demand for doctors. The REAL question is what type/speciality/area/etc? Is in need...

Nicely said.

If you are interested in the CRNA arguement, go to the resident section for gas. there is a whole discussion there.

There will always be a need for doctors. Mid level providers are a response to the crushing needs of patient volume.

Nicely said.

If you are interested in the CRNA arguement, go to the resident section for gas. there is a whole discussion there.

There will always be a need for doctors. Mid level providers are a response to the crushing needs of patient volume.

Also, midlevels aren't always too easy to come by. I'm actually working on a project on the subject right now, and midlevel providers are being turned out at significanly lower rates than they are needed, so a lot of hospitals are taking what they can get.

I think of a certain BilL Cosby episode when I read this thread, where the son in law (who's just getting through becoming a doctor) sits down and panics that he won't be able to pay off everything and then panics asking if he'll ever get a job. Cosby's response is hilarious and right on.

You're a doctor; not a plumber, not a contract worker, not an ebay store crap selling hound. A more logical/realistic question would be to ask if physicians will still get that comfortable salary people always talk about.

No.

I suggest everyone switch into i-banking ASAP.