Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

future destroyed today??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by honsano, Oct 15, 2002.

1. honsano

honsano Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

#1 honsano, Oct 15, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

man these are hte premeds that have driven me crazyand i honeslty belive strongly do not belong in a social system of life... dude learn to socialize and hvae a life.. puting stress like that on yourself will kill u by age 30

4. jot

jot

whoa - before people get on your tail --- just withdraw from the class. its early, you're a freshman and it won't be a problem. get out of it. simple as that.

5. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dude-
    Bad timing...don't be bashing on the Chicago Medical School on Oct. 15th when half the kids in here are waiting to get acceptances, not at a top ten school but ANYWHERE. To be worried about getting into a top ten med program while you're a freshman and worrying about yoru chances already is a bit premature. I wish you the best but the timing of your post isn't the best right now. There are a lot of people on edge and very nervous (rightly so) in Oct.

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nothing to worry about as far as getting into medical school. If you do end up with a 'D' in General Chemistry, you'll have to retake it and get at least a 'C' or better. People have been accepted to medical schools with an 'F' on their transcript in General Chemistry (with a retake of course).

Everyone hopes for a 'Top 10' school, but I guarantee you what is 'Top 10' now will be something completely different by the time you graduate. When you graduate, the 'Top 10' schools will be the 10 for which you get an interview invitation...no matter where they are on the 'official' rankings.

7. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Ignore Wallstreet.

Why are you doing so poorly in the class? You need to identify the specific problem you are having, and solve it. Try to hang in there and do better on the next exam. Talk to your classmates, the TA(s), the prof, etc. to try to get some help.

If worst comes to worst you should retake the class later and prepare to substantially improve. People get accepted to medschool with poor freshman grades across the board; you only have an unsatisfactory grade in one class. However, as it stands, a D in a medschool prerequisite is unacceptable. Good luck.

8. neuromd03

neuromd03 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

If you flunk out of college, yes.

9. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Honsano, are you a Razorback??

10. jot

jot

haha - i guess walstreet beat me to it:)
    whatever guys - hes a freshman, its a low grade we'd all be a bit worried i guess. don't bust on chi-town med though - not good especially now!

secondly, whatever happens to you in your education - take full responsibility for it. blaming the foreign ta, the crappy prof, the tough test -- do something about it, and don't wallow. again, drop the class if it isn't salvageable, you have enough time, and no one cares about the w.

11. honsano

honsano Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

#10 honsano, Oct 15, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  12. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

if you were offering up your right one id be all over that.. but sorry dont do the left

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I going to have to go ahead and go with jot on this one. You're in charge of how you perform on a test, curved or not.

And I'm not convinced about this fast track to Chicago. What makes you think that? :)

-RA

14. tryingagain

tryingagain Soon to have no life
    10+ Year Member

You know, I think wallstreet has a point. This guy obviously needs a reality check on the whole process. It is not his fault that he is ignorant to the whole process of college and applying to med school; he is a freshman. It is our jobs to help him along and offer him advice BUT it is also our jobs to correct his attitude and perception of reality.

As far as his second post it obviously prooves that he is not only very immature to speak to someone like that who criticizes him, but also shows that he has a lot of growing to do, not just in Chemistry class.

my $.02

15. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

:laugh:

16. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

And God said:

"Let there be a gunner!"

And there was.

17. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

honsano,

Seriously, though, how did you do in Chem in high school? What is it about the chem that you find hard? The math? Reactions? How are you with the other sciences?

18. neuromd03

Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Haha!

Damn gunners.+pissed+

19. Spidey

Spidey Leorl's official stalker
    7+ Year Member

I agree with jot, just withdraw if you still have time.

20. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Come on, y'all, let's have a little compassion here! Those of you who are 21, how much growing up have YOU done in the last three years?

Flunking your first test in college is practically a rite of passage. It didn't happen to me my first semester, but frankly, I think I'd have been better off if it had. College is a whole different ball game than high school, and the faster you come to respect and understand the added discipline and strategy it takes, the better off you are.

To honsano, don't let it get you down. It's just one test, and I know for a fact that it IS possible to bring up a D to a B by the end of the semester. Maybe not an A, but you can salvage a respectable grade if you can figure out how to learn the material cold in the manner in which you'll be tested on it. Notice the last part of my sentence, because it's the key to making good grades. You don't have to memorize every word and concept that's spoken or discussed in class. You do have to find out what the professor thinks is important, and the manner in which he or she tests these concepts, and be smart about what and how you choose to study.

I know plenty of flat-out idiots with near 4.0s, who are only geniuses about figuring out what to study. Conversely, I know plenty of very very smart people who have lower grades, because for whatever reason, they don't do this.

I would simply go to the professor, and say, "You know, Dr. So-and-So, I find your class interesting, and I'd really like to do well, but I'm having difficulty knowing what material to focus on when I study, and how to study it effectively. " And see what he or she says. DO NOT ask the professor to tell you what's "important for the test"--I would avoid those words like the plague.

And by the way, your post WAS very immature. However, I don't know any 18 year olds who DON'T need to grow up. Count your blessings that you're in a program that guarantees admission just for showing up and doing decently. If you can get into a better school via the application process senior year, wonderful. But there are about 16,000 people who at the end of this year would take what you already have and be very happy.

21. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Honsano,
    I am a bit confused. Are you in a guaranteed admit program? If you are then you do have to maintain a 3.5 GPA and aren't able to drop classes. However if you aren't in that kind of a program then you have more flexability.

Try tutoring with a TA, the prof or one of the students who are doing very well in the class. The big red Kaplan book they sell in book stores has a great section for chemistry as well as all the subjects on the MCAT.

Practice, practice and practice the material. Do all the problems in the chapter. And above all, be humble and admit this will take work on your part. A lot of smart pre-meds I've known never want to admit that some of their classes are hard.
    School can be challenging regardless of your year in school. Some general classes can seem harder than the upper classes.

Good luck.:)

22. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :laugh: :laugh: Honsano, you picked just about the worst day to post this!! Some of these responses were harsh, but they're not without reason. You have to realize that many people on this board have been trying to get into med school for a very long time and we're a bit touchy whenever someone bashes our dream school (especially on the first day that schools can accept regular decision applicants). I daresay you'll learn more about what's important to you in a med school as you get closer to actually applying, so I'll save you the lecture. This time. ;)

Contrary to many pre-medder opinions, there is no set formula for getting into med school. People with Cs and *gasp* even Ds and Fs have been accepted, but they probably had to retake the class. However, I think that you can improve your grade in this class, but it's going to take A LOT of work on your part. Also, it's important to keep in mind that you are just starting your college career. It's way too early for you to give up on becoming a doctor if it's what you really want to do. All is not lost.

oh, and welcome to SDN. :clap:

23. TexasGuy41

TexasGuy41 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

When I was a freshman in college I wasn't even considering going to medical school. Don't waste your time worrying so much about one class. I'm not saying to be wreckless with your academics, but relax a little, it will probably help you focus. College is an educational experience in and outside of the classroom. And for the record, I got a 34 on my first test in College, principles of microeconomics. Keep your head up and enjoy yourself!

24. The Hulk

The Hulk Official Green Monster
    7+ Year Member

Not much that I can add here, as usual Dr. Wallstreet is there with the reflex reaction, saying what we all want to say but don't, and random access and sweet tea are there with what we would all want to say after we calmed down from our initial response and tried to be a little more compassionate. As for my own experience I can tell you this, Honsano:

1) from the sweet tea in me: As a freshman I struggled and got a C in general Chem and a B- in Bio and left pre-med all together because I was sure I'd never get into a medical school. It is only seven years later as I sit in a post-bac program retaking these classes that I realize what a mistake I made to overload myself and then judge myself too harshly. Its a mistake that cost me several years that I could have spent doing what I truly wanted to do, helping people in need! Never stop believing in yourself. Your achievement is limited only by your belief in yourself! (Not a stupid affirmation, but something I can say from reality)

2) from the Dr. Wallstreet in you: How immature are you? You NEED to get into a top-10 school because your ambitous? To post this today, the timing is so absolutely horrible it makes me suspicuous that you either knew exactly what you were doing and just trying to be mean and get a rise out of some very stressed out overworked people. Otherwise, you need a hell of alot of growing up to do. I know I was immature as a freshman, but your quote about chicago makes me really question your interest in medicine to begin with and makes me shudder for the future of those unfortunate enough to be placed under your care. :mad:

25. latinfridley

7+ Year Member

Drop the class if u can, if not, suck it up, kick [email protected]@ on the final and get a C, then in gen chem 2, get an A, with tutoring if needed. Believe me , one class is not worth stressin about especially freshmen year. Freshman year is a time to adjust to college life and develop study habits that will help you succeed in subsequent years.
    j-rod

26. neuromd03

Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have a friend who got a D and a couple of C's on his transcript and was accepted to his state school on his second try. He had earned his MPH before re-applying. In general, getting bad grades will lower your chances significantly but will not keep you out for good.

I agree with the above statement. You will have to study like there's no tomorrow in order to raise your grade and avoid flunking an important class.